Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hydro View Post
    It is really sickening that in FL you can shoot someone point blank and not have to answer for it. I really don't understand the legalities of it, but there is something seriously wrong and disturbing about that.
    Clearly, if you're going to shoot someone in FL (even in actual self-defense where you only want to get away), it's best not to leave them alive to testify against you. Sick.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    It is really sickening that in FL you can shoot someone point blank and not have to answer for it. I really don't understand the legalities of it, but there is something seriously wrong and disturbing about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Clearly, if you're going to shoot someone in FL (even in actual self-defense where you only want to get away), it's best not to leave them alive to testify against you. Sick.
    Unfortunately, Florida is not the only state with that sort of law on the books.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Zimmerman is reported to be Hispanic.

In Florida, Hispanics are often Cuban and skew conservative Republican, as a group (think Sen. Marco Rubio). However, Herman Cain won the primary in FL. Well to do African American men are well regarded in FL in Republican circles, clearly.
    Romney won the primary in Florida

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Unfortunately, Florida is not the only state with that sort of law on the books.
    Yeah I heard it was 14(!!!) other states.

vCash
    Here's the videotape of the racial slur Zimmerman used seconds before he killed Martin.

http://www.reddingnewsreview.com/new...12_1000036.htm

The Sanford police department admitted to ABC News that they missed that.
    O'Donnell zeroed in on what is quickly becoming one of the more controversial aspects of the case: a portion of the 911 tape where shooter George Zimmerman can be heard muttering something many say sounds like "f-ing coons," a racial slur. On Wednesday night, investigators in Florida told ABC News that they had "missed" this portion of the tape.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1369414.html

Also, some more info on the responding officer on the scene.
    A few days ago, WFTV in Orlando reported that Anthony Raimondo, the first officer in charge of the scene the night Trayvon Martin was killed, had three validated complaints during his career and another pending complaint.

He was also involved in another local controversy two years ago. In 2010, Justin Collison, the son of a local police officer, sucker punched a homeless man and broke his nose. Raimondo declined to arrest Collison, and no charges were pressed until WFTV picked up the YouTube video of the incident. Collison, who is white, is the son of a local police lieutenant and the grandson of a former Florida judge. Collison was later ordered to pay the man's medical bills and to donate money to several nonprofit groups.
    http://huff.to/GGNetd

A town hall meeting was held for the Sanford police chief to respond to questions and concerns by the black community there. The police chief was a no-show--no explanation given for him not showing up.
    Last edited by agalisgv; 03-21-2012 at 05:16 PM.

vCash
    Apparently Zimmerman shot Martin twice. First time Martin was injured and he was crying for help. Then Zim went up to him and shot him again (to make sure he was dead?). It was quiet then, except for the 911 calls. MSNBC interviewed a 13 year old boy who lives in that neighborhood. He said he heard the crying and the shots.

Zimmerman makes me sick. I hope he gets locked up in prison for the rest of his life, without parole. He is a threat to society. If he gets away with it, Florida must be labeled as one of the worst/unsafe states for blacks.

Is this the 21st century? What does the rest of the world think of us? Barbarians?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Here's the videotape of the racial slur Zimmerman used seconds before he killed Martin.

http://www.reddingnewsreview.com/new...12_1000036.htm

The Sanford police department admitted to ABC News that they missed that. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1369414.html

Also, some more info on the responding officer on the scene.http://huff.to/GGNetd

A town hall meeting was held for the Sanford police chief to respond to questions and concerns by the black community there. The police chief was a no-show--no explanation given for him not showing up.
    The Sanford police are really doing their best to give the police a bad name.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Zimmerman is reported to be Hispanic.

In Florida, Hispanics are often Cuban and skew conservative Republican, as a group (think Sen. Marco Rubio). However, Herman Cain won the primary in FL. Well to do African American men are well regarded in FL in Republican circles, clearly.

According to wikipedia Greater Orlando is basically minority at 46% non-hispanic white, 26.9% hispanic, 20.8% black, 4.9% asian and the remaining 1.8% everyone else. Wiki does not give a breakdown of hispanics by country of origin but does state that Orlando has the largest population of Puerto Rican's in the state and that they are to Orlando like the Cubans are to Miami-Dade, where the Cubans make up over 40% of the foreign born population, and where the total population is 57%+ hispanic. Furthermore, the fastest growing segment of Greater Orlando's population is Puerto Rican.

Cubans are usually republican. Puerto Ricans are said to be usually democrat. Different areas, far different demos. Apples and Oranges.

Rubio sells well in north FL & Central FL because he pretty much sticks to the republican party line. That gives him much traction in parts of the state that might be a bit hesitant to vote for a hispanic candidate. If I remember, Herman Cain did much the same.

YMMV

NJL
    Last edited by NeilJLeonard; 03-21-2012 at 07:50 PM.

vCash

Question

Neil, I had read some of the comments under this story posted on a conservative website, and it was vomit-inducing. But since commenting on online news sites seems to bring out the crazies (with a few exceptions), I don't know that I would put a lot of stock in that.
    I thought my 2nd sentence covered that....

NJL

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilJLeonard View Post
    I thought my 2nd sentence covered that....

NJL
    I didn't know if we were necessarily talking about the same comments (wasn't sure which you were referring to). So I didn't know if we were really disagreeing--I just clarified what comments I had read and my take on them.

vCash
    The Sanford police are really doing their best to give the police a bad name.
    That would be putting it mildly.

This story in The Atlantic provides an overview of the issues the prosecution will face in this case. Their job has certainly not been made any easier by the shoddy police work in the case.

vCash
    Absolutely sickening and heartbreaking.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    He was gonna be knocked in the head with a can of iced tea, for heaven's sake!
    It was the Skittles. Skittles are evil and even I am afraid of them!
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post

This story in The Atlantic provides an overview of the issues the prosecution will face in this case. Their job has certainly not been made any easier by the shoddy police work in the case.
    Great story!

There is more than enough evidence against him to not only charge him but convict him. The law doesn't protect actions like his.

"'Stand Your Ground' is not a 007 license to kill," said Sean Caranna, founder of Florida Carry, a group advocating gun owners' rights. He stressed that shooting in self-defense requires " a real fear your life is in danger."

Justifiable use of force

776.012 Use of force in defense of person. — A person is justified in using force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against the other's imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person is justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat if:

(1) He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony
    Zimmerman had none of those things.

vCash
    Newly available documents reveal conflicting accounts of a violent relationship in the past of George Zimmerman, the Sanford man who fatally shot 17-year-old Trayvon Martin last month.

The court records concern a conflict between Zimmerman and his ex-fiancé, who filed a petition accusing Zimmerman of pushing her during an argument at her Orlando home in August 2005.

The woman reported Zimmerman had arrived at her home Aug. 8 and asked to talk. Later, when she asked him to leave, she said, he insisted on staying and demanded documents she had.

The woman said she offered to drop the papers off the following day, but Zimmerman became upset, took her cell phone and shoved her. A fight ensued, she said, and her dog bit Zimmerman's cheek.
    http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...c-face-charges

vCash
    Neil, I had read some of the comments under this story posted on a conservative website, and it was vomit-inducing. But since commenting on online news sites seems to bring out the crazies (with a few exceptions), I don't know that I would put a lot of stock in that.
    I don't know which site that was, but the comments on this NRO article are overwhelmingly (and rightfully) in favor of Martin. There are, unfortunately, a lot of online crazies, as you say. But there are still plenty of people on all sides capable of civil and respectful discussion.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Not to sound like a racist, but Zimmerman (from his picture on TV) looks like a minority, but not black. Any idea what his race is? If he was a minority, how could he hate another minority? I hope there will be full investigation and justice will be served.
    I read somewhere that Zimmerman has one parent of Hispanic heritage.

As for your question about one being a minority and how they could hate another minority, I'm not sure I know what you mean. History has shown time and time again that oppressive behaviour is not limited to the dominant group. It's like the old story of the boss yelling at the employee who goes home and hits his wife who yells at her kid, who kicks the dog who bites the cat... Any member of an oppressed group can act oppressively towards others who belong to different minority groups...

Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I can't imagine what Trayvon's family must be going through. I read that his girl friend was so traumatized that she had to be hospitalized. Poor thing! She is just 16. What terrible thing to witness!
    Martin's girlfriend was not there, so she did not witness anything. I believe that she and Martin were talking on the phone when Zimmerman approached him and in the ensuing scuffle, Martin's phone was dropped or knocked to the ground. So the girlfriend heard the beginning of what happened, but not most of it.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post

Excellent article. Thanks for posting.

It sounds like the police had their own agenda. If Zimmerman escapes conviction, the police who were involved in this should be suspended.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Martin's girlfriend was not there, so she did not witness anything. I believe that she and Martin were talking on the phone when Zimmerman approached him and in the ensuing scuffle, Martin's phone was dropped or knocked to the ground. So the girlfriend heard the beginning of what happened, but not most of it.
    She did 'witness' it on the phone. She knew what was happening to her boyfriend, that he was scared, running, and then she found out (later) that he had been gunned down. Whether she saw it with her eyes or not, she experienced the horror of it.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Some lawyer on CNN characterized it as "earwitnessing."
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast