Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    I would love to believe that but absolutely nothing I've read about this case leads me to believe that the police in that town thinks Zimmerman did anything wrong. There are reports from witnesses that the police blew them off and wouldn't take a full statement, that the chief of police has said that he thinks if they had to do it over BOTH Zimmerman and Martin would have "done things differently" as if Martin had done ANYTHING wrong, etc., etc., etc.
    Since both Christina and I live very close to this town and she works in the business forgive me if I think you're wrong.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    BTW, it was not Treyvon Martin's town or neighborhood. He lived in Miami-Dade & was visiting someone in Sanford. Consequently this tragedy is front page news in Miami, especially since Mr Zimmerman, despite the last name, is Hispanic. It is also reported he has moved from his home there.

NJL

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Since both Christina and I live very close to this town and she works in the business forgive me if I think you're wrong.
    I'd ask you to forgive me for thinking you are too close to the situation and/or don't want to believe anything bad about the part of the country you live in, but frankly, I don't think I have done anything that needs forgiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilJLeonard View Post
    He lived in Miami-Dade & was visiting someone in Sanford.
    He was visiting his father and step-mother.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    This case is so upsetting. Treyvon's death was so senseless
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I'd ask you to forgive me for thinking you are too close to the situation and/or don't want to believe anything bad about the part of the country you live in, but frankly, I don't think I have done anything that needs forgiveness.
    You're right, it was just a phrase. I don't need forgiveness either. I'm fully able to recognize the Sanford police handled this badly. Christina also said it was bungled. My point is (and I said it in an earlier post) is that it is not over and I fully believe Mr. Zimmerman will be charged. As far as my not believing anything bad about the part of the country I live in? You couldn't be more wrong.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    The word on twitter is the DOJ and FBI are getting involved now. More to come...

vCash

vCash
    MSNBC did a story on this tonight (Lawrence Odonell). Part of the problem is the Florida law which practically allows people to kill anyone they perceive as a threat. There is a concern that many african american men will be targeted. They also said the FL police need to be investigated.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    MSNBC did a story on this tonight (Lawrence Odonell). Part of the problem is the Florida law which practically allows people to kill anyone they perceive as a threat. There is a concern that many african american men will be targeted. They also said the FL police need to be investigated.
    That's ridiculous. Due to be raised by paranoid parents, in FL I'm apparently allowed to gun down any man built like a football player in my vicinity? Or any man whom I encounter on the street after dark?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Yes, the "Stand your Ground" law; it's been used before (this was another high-profile case). But I'm not sure it applies if you initiate a confrontation as blatantly as Zimmerman did, especially considering he was told by police not to do so.

Since State and Federal authorities are now investigating the case, I am hopeful that there will be a just outcome.

vCash

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Yes, the "Stand your Ground" law; it's been used before (this was another high-profile case). But I'm not sure it applies if you initiate a confrontation as blatantly as Zimmerman did, especially considering he was told by police not to do so.

Since State and Federal authorities are now investigating the case, I am hopeful that there will be a just outcome.
    I keep forgetting that everyone is not acquainted with Florida's quaint view of the 2nd amendment:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Florida

This will probably be used as a defense in the Sanford shooting:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/0...f-defense.html

It does seem that the state senator that represents Miami Gardens, FL is recommending that the legislature look at, and possibly modify, the law. I agree. It has a few flaws.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/2...-hearings.html

Considering that the last legislative session had a bill introduced that wanted to require everyone in the state be armed I don't think that much will come of this.

NJL
    Last edited by NeilJLeonard; 03-20-2012 at 02:51 PM.

vCash
    Well, no self defense would have been necessary if Zimmerman hadn't decided to play at being a cop (which, of course, he was not). Though his story is that he was attacked, all the evidence I've read of so far seems to contradict that scenario. In which case it seems he's not covered by Stand Your Ground, right? Or so says the Miami Herald article:
    “If he was attacked, he can stand his ground,” said retired Miami-Dade prosecutor David Waksman, who is not involved in the case. “But if police say back off and we’ll take care of it, he’s not covered by the law.”
    Trayvon Martin was apparently on the phone with his girlfriend; here's the ABC story about what she heard.

vCash
    Yet Mr Zimmerman is claiming he stepped out of his truck to check the street signs to see what street he was on and was attacked by Mr Martin as he tried to get back into his truck. He had to defend himself then.

NJL

ETA: I think that this thread may actually belong in PI.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    I suspect Zimmerman hasn't been arrested because he prevented Martin from terrorizing the gated community with skittles.

I am beyond outraged by this story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Don't forget that he was also amed with a can of iced tea.
    I can't even look at this on the news, because I get so pissed. Zimmerman is a redneck pig.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    He's been described as overzealous in local news reports - noise violations, parking violations, etc. None of that is under the purview of a neighborhood watch volunteer.
    One of the articles I read said he was a "self-appointed" head of a neighborhood watch. So he may not even have been an official member of the group that works with the police.
    According to this article, he is not an official registered Neighborhood Watch leader, just someone who claimed he was.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    What Zimmerman did sickens me down to the marrow in my bones :

From the very beginning, Zimmerman's account of what happened never sounded on the level, especially in light of what was said on the 911 tapes. Now, with the information from Martin's girlfriend who was on the phone with Trayvon as things transpired, it is glaringly clear that Zimmerman was lying his fat ass off.

The ABC news story said that the DOJ is investigating this as a possible hate crime. That may be the case, but it may also be something far more simple (and sinister). By appointing himself the head of the Neighborhood Watch (IIRC that was mentioned in one of the Miami Herald articles), he was constantly looking for any reason or excuse to engage in vigilante justice. I think it's more likely that this Zimmerman asshole was simply a power-hungry thug who was itching to kill someone, and the Neighborhood Watch was nothing more than a vehicle for him to act out his sick fantasy.

This goes against what is stressed over and over during training for Neighborhood Watch groups. They are specifically taught that they are NOT vigilantes and they are not to engage in any type of vigilante behavior. The very name of these organizations spells out what they are supposed to do, which is keep an eye open and *watch out* for irregular or suspicious behavior. In the event that they see something that is suspicious, shady, etc., the training specifically states that 1) they are to call 911 and let law enforcement handle any contact or confrontation with the person/suspect, and 2) they are not to insert themselves into the situation. Zimmerman flagrantly disregarded both of these rules, and now a teenager is dead.

vCash
    Too bad it took arm twisting by the Feds to get them to finally do the right thing.

The Seminole County Grand Jury will be called to session on Tuesday, April 10 Wolfinger said.

Read more: http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...rney-announces

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JILEN View Post
    Too bad it took arm twisting by the Feds to get them to finally do the right thing.

The Seminole County Grand Jury will be called to session on Tuesday, April 10 Wolfinger said.

Read more: http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...rney-announces
    Interesting that the article states that the police were using "stand your ground" as the reason they were investigating this crime as they are. I'm not surprised by that.

NJL

vCash
    There have been many reports in the local media of Zimmerman having called 911 about multiple unfounded "incidents".

vCash
    This whole thing is disgusting. How is it possible in the US to run a child down with a gun, murder him in cold blood, and walk away with the police enabling the crime.

I don't even with whom I'm more outraged with. The delusional Zimmerman walking free, the media ignoring this issue because Martin isn't a 13-year-old-white girl, or the local police that basically let Zimmerman walk free and gave him a "self-defense" excuse to commit murder.

This is what gun culture creates, these kinds of vigilantes that think they are above the law. The NRA should be ashamed of themselves for lobbying for such absurd laws as this "stand your ground" BS.

At least the story is starting to get picked up, has anyone been able to location Zimmerman? Or has he flown the coop?

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast