Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Trayvon Martin, unarmed teen killed in own neighborhood

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/new...state-attorney

Just wanted to post about this infuriating story about a young, African-American teen who was shot and killed by a neighborhood watch leader. It has been a month and the shooter has still not been arrested because the authorities say there is nothing to disprove the claim of self-defense by the neighborhood watch leader-what about the fact that the teen was unarmed?

waiting for Spring :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jenny12 View Post
    http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/new...state-attorney

Just wanted to post about this infuriating story about a young, African-American teen who was shot and killed by a neighborhood watch leader. It has been a month and the shooter has still not been arrested because the authorities say there is nothing to disprove the claim of self-defense by the neighborhood watch leader-what about the fact that the teen was unarmed?
    There is a petition going around on facebook about this that I signed.. it's shameful - but hardly surprising when every nutbar in Florida has a gun to begin with.. I think Florida is one of those places i wouldn't want to live if I was African American
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Sanford is only about 20 minutes from me. Nice little town, we go there a couple of times a month for their restaurants and German grocery store. Lots of community outrage over this - I don't think this is the end of it.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    How can it be self-defense if the shooter approaches the "suspicious" person? Self-defense is when the "threat" approaches you. You can't go up to someone who you think is threatening and then claim self defense. But for you approaching them, they wouldn't even know you where there!
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    My condolences to his friends and family. What do you say to the parents of a murdered child?
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I signed the petition too.

This is what infuriates me:

"Police said they have not charged him because there are no grounds to disprove his story of what happened. "

So if you want to get away with murder, call 911 to say someone is suspicious and be sure to shoot him dead so he can't contradict your story!
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Were there any witnesses to this killing? It seems so bizarre that no more information has come out. I haven't read anything other than the teen was unarmed and the shooter says it was self defense.

This is what makes me leery of HOAs and gated communities. I know the shooter was Neighborhood Watch, but there always seems to be some overzealous paranoid maniac in these organizations who ends up terrorizing the rest of the community. We started a tenant association in my building to deal with maintenance issues and the organizer went crazy over things that didn't even affect her, calling ASPCA, code enforcement, child protective services etc. Put a gun in her hand, no telling what she might have done.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    One of the articles I read said he was a "self-appointed" head of a neighborhood watch. So he may not even have been an official member of the group that works with the police.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    One of the articles I read said he was a "self-appointed" head of a neighborhood watch. So he may not even have been an official member of the group that works with the police.
    That sounds more likely considering how trigger-happy he was. I read that he called the police initially and they told him not to do anything, but obviously he did not follow their advice. Zimmerman was also recorded saying "They always get away" after being asked why he followed Trayvon which, to me, seems like he was already out to get Trayvon that day.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    He's been described as overzealous in local news reports - noise violations, parking violations, etc. None of that is under the purview of a neighborhood watch volunteer.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    I suspect Zimmerman hasn't been arrested because he prevented Martin from terrorizing the gated community with skittles.

I am beyond outraged by this story.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    I suspect Zimmerman hasn't been arrested because he prevented Martin from terrorizing the gated community with skittles.

I am beyond outraged by this story.
    Don't forget that he was also amed with a can of iced tea.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    The "shooter" had a "history" with the law.
    Even with the liberal carry/concealed weapon/use laws here in FL; why was he allowed to have a gun?
    Why would a "neighborhood watch" member ever need a gun.

This whole story is appalling.
    I hope that the DA does a better job of investigating/dealing with the case than the police have.
    My sympathy to the family of the young man.

vCash
    eight 911 tapes have been released.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lack-teen.html
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Don't forget that he was also amed with a can of iced tea.
    And I heard that the can of iced tea was loaded, which makes it even scarier!! Those iced tea drinkers are just looking for trouble.

/sarcasm
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    One of the comments on the article mentions that Zimmerman had a record of assault and battery on a police officer, is that true?

I'm having trouble understanding the police response. Even when people are shot in the process of committing a crime there is an investigation into their death. Even police officers get put on administrative leave.

vCash
    My heart just breaks for Trayvon Martin's family. It's such an awful and senseless loss.

Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    One of the comments on the article mentions that Zimmerman had a record of assault and battery on a police officer, is that true?
    Apparently so.

I'm having trouble understanding the police response. Even when people are shot in the process of committing a crime there is an investigation into their death. Even police officers get put on administrative leave.
    I imagine it's a matter of time before Zimmerman is arrested, as well he should be, but I am not at all surprised by the police response. There are plenty of prior cases in which officers got off with a slap on the wrist - sometimes not even that - for pretty appalling actions (browse here and here for examples, some more egregious than others). And those skittles must have been awfully suspicious.

Ta-Nehisi Coates has written several posts about the case over the last few days that are worth checking out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post

It's true, but I thought it was worse than what it actually was. I think a cop tried to arrest Zimmerman's friend, Zimmerman mouthed off, the cop grabbed him and he pushed the cop. Ergo, resisting arrest.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

This is a terrible, terrible crime. The cops completely screwed up this one and I cannot believe Zimmerman was not arrested. Self defense my butt.

Poor, poor kid.

vCash
    In Florida, in most cases, for a felony arrest they have to have a warrant. Unless an officer sees the felony being committed or the perpetrator confesses, then they can do a probable cause arrest. From what I understand, the Sanford Police have forwarded the case to the local State Attorney's Office, and they are determining if pc exists for an arrest warrant to be issued. They have the option (which they are doing) of investigating further before making a determination. Also, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement is now involved as well and assisting in the investigation.

It looks like this was bungled the night it happened, as the SPD didn't have their on call detectives out immediately, processing the scene and locking in witness statements in writing.

I'm wondering how a convicted felon had a firearm. He must have had his rights restored, or maybe his felony was "adjudication withheld" and he can still possess a weapon.

It will be interested to see how all of this plays out in the next week or so. Remember as soon as an arrest is made, the "speedy trial" provision kicks in unless he waives it. They might be waiting on more info to lock in a case before making an arrest. I imagine with the media all over this guy they'll know where he is all the time.....
    "If I wore what Amodio is wearing to the gayest gaybar in gayville they would kick me out for being too gay." - toddlj

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Christina View Post
    They might be waiting on more info to lock in a case before making an arrest.
    I would love to believe that but absolutely nothing I've read about this case leads me to believe that the police in that town thinks Zimmerman did anything wrong. There are reports from witnesses that the police blew them off and wouldn't take a full statement, that the chief of police has said that he thinks if they had to do it over BOTH Zimmerman and Martin would have "done things differently" as if Martin had done ANYTHING wrong, etc., etc., etc.

Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast