Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    In hopes the rich people she's suing will throw money at the problem to make it go away. It happens more often than you'd think. Or to get the notoriety/fame from being the Poor Sweet Victim and make a buck that way.

Or revenge for not thinking they got a big enough cut. Really, considering the "offenses" allegedly start right off the bat, one wonders why she'd have stayed there if she was so horribly offended and constantly abused. It's a job, not a marriage-you don't have to go to court to quit, you just walk out the door at the first offense.
    Do you think she's lying?

The problem I have with the thought she could just walk away is that it leaves him free to do it to someone else. If he's guilty of that behavior, of course.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    In hopes the rich people she's suing will throw money at the problem to make it go away. It happens more often than you'd think. Or to get the notoriety/fame from being the Poor Sweet Victim and make a buck that way.

Or revenge for not thinking they got a big enough cut. Really, considering the "offenses" allegedly start right off the bat, one wonders why she'd have stayed there if she was so horribly offended and constantly abused. It's a job, not a marriage-you don't have to go to court to quit, you just walk out the door at the first offense.
    Anyone making up all the allegations in this particular lawsuit would probably face a lawsuit for malicious prosecution. And her attorneys might face litigation too.

Many of the allegations concern things that ostensibly happened in the presence of third parties. It would be very risky to allege these things if the plaintiff and her attorney weren't convinced they'd be able to get supporting testimony from these witnesses.

Really, considering the "offenses" allegedly start right off the bat, one wonders why she'd have stayed there if she was so horribly offended and constantly abused. It's a job, not a marriage-you don't have to go to court to quit, you just walk out the door at the first offense.
    People stay at terrible jobs for all sorts of reasons. Good pay, lack of self respect, being adverse to risks, and being worried that people like you won't believe how bad it was are four of the ones I can think of right off the bat.

Be that as it may, quitting earlier in the course of events wouldn't necessarily have stopped her from maintaining a lawsuit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    She started the job in 2005 before the economy went to shit. She could've quit then and moved onto another job.

ETA I'm not saying she's lying. Just pointing out that she didn't have to stay for 5 years.
    The way it's always worked with me is that I have to eventually come to a breaking point before I just quit something. I don't like to quit things. I had a terrible job at my University with an emotionally abusive boss, and like milanessa said, one of my biggest issues was that it was an undergraduate job with some prestige, and I knew as soon as I left that a naive freshman would get it and wouldn't deserve that treatment (which is exactly what happened when I couldn't take it anymore and did quit, after trying to talk to the aforementioned boss and make it clear that things were not handled professionally, which shockingly did not work). Everyone handles things differently. It's possible her breaking point even came right around the time the economy tanked, but obviously she eventually did decide she had to leave, and she did. I don't think that staying in it for 5 years points at it being a lie. Longer than that, and yeah, I would feel that way, but I just don't think 5 years is really that long when you're talking about a person's livelihood.

vCash
    I think the lawsuit made it pretty clear when the breaking point was--when they agreed to a new employee handbook specifying proper behavior and accountability mechanisms, then shelved it and refused to implement it. The next incident when Bubba Hiers basically insinuated in front of several venders that Ms. Jackson had her job because she was sleeping with him, she quit.

The lawsuit also says Ms. Jackson didn't try to sue after she quit. Rather, she tried to find another job based on her successful job performance for Bubba Hiers. But Paula Deen and Bubba Hiers bad-mouthed her to every vender in the Savannah region, essentially blackballing Ms. Jackson from any future work. Ms. Jackson was forced to leave the city in order to work then.

And that's when she filed a lawsuit. If the black-balling hadn't happened (which apparently occurred because Ms. Jackson was witness to another incident that was potentially litigatable), it doesn't look like any lawsuit would have been filed.

I don't know in what universe an employer can spread rumors about an employee, barring them from any future employment, and not be subject to a lawsuit.

Hope Ms. Jackson wins big.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Hey, why even hold a trial, right? Feck the burden of proof and all that legal nonsense.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    the more I read it, the more I believe it...
    It does have that air about it, doesn't it?

Plus, she quit at the height of the recession. Generally things have to be pretty bad to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Many of the allegations concern things that ostensibly happened in the presence of third parties. It would be very risky to allege these things if the plaintiff and her attorney weren't convinced they'd be able to get supporting testimony from these witnesses.
    Yes, Ms. Jackson was very specific on people involved in each incident. Plus she names specific dates--again, something very, very risky to do if you cannot back up the allegation. All the plaintiff has to do is show he was somewhere else that day, and the lawsuit loses credibility.

While people are focused on the racial allegations, what popped into my mind was the possibility of criminal liability for embezzlement and tax fraud. Ms. Jackson alleged Hiers regularly took money from the till prior to that money being recorded (up to $26,000/month). That would qualify as tax fraud at the very least, but also embezzlement since the operation was owned by Paula Deen.
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveRinger View Post
    I read about this lawsuit the day after she appeared on Oprah about 2 wks ago. She was crying and carrying on about how tragic her life was before she got rich and famous and why she's "like she is." More PR before another storm.
    Yeah, the timing of that is rather convenient, no?

Well, we shall see...

vCash
    I always take these with a grain of salt. While the compliant sounds plausible, there are plenty of lawyers who will take cases knowing the the other side would come out cheaper and quicker by just settling. Litigation is so expensive, many people who are sued just throw in the towel, and some lawyers take advantage.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Well, yes, that's true, but Paula Deen is hardly in that sort of position. She has plenty of money.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Yes, it does Scintillation. Here in CA, it works like so:

-Your lawyer prepares your complaint
    -You file a complaint with some agency with a lot of letters that works jointly with a federal agency with different letters (it's the same office apparently)
    -They have a certain amount of time to look at it
    -Most of the time they don't look at it but wait until their allotted time is up and then tell you that you can go ahead and sue because they aren't going to investigate
    -Then your lawyer prepares the lawsuit brief
    -Then you file
    -Wait for a court date
    -Go to court (if the company doesn't offer to settle out of court)

My employment lawyer told me that it normally takes 1.5-2 years to actually get to the lawsuit filing stage so 18 months sound about right.
    Thanks for that info. I think I've been living in Law&Order land, where everything moves absurdly quickly through the justice system.
    I was also disturbed by the allegations about Dustin Walls--if everyone in the company was aware of his "monkeys" comment, they must have witnesses at the ready to verify it.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scintillation View Post
    I think I've been living in Law&Order land, where everything moves absurdly quickly through the justice system.
    In my case, I watch CSI and I get annoyed at how they get DNA evidence in hours when those tests take at least a week (but two weeks is more common) to run.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    I'm going to jump to conclusions here and say I believe Ms. Jackson. Something tells me that "Uncle Bubba" actually IS that dispicable and our beloved Ms. Deen isn't that far behind him.

(Sorry, just felt like being mouthy and opinionated with no absolutely no facts whatsoever!)

vCash
    Yea, I'm gonna say I believe Ms. Jackson as well.

I remember back when Paula was first becoming famous, there were a couple of articles about her that included people (former employees, former aquaintances etc.) talking about how the Paula that's on t.v and the Paula in real life are two very different people. At the time I thought it was just the usual talk that goes on when someone gets famous but it seemed that articles like that were popping up every year. Then I saw her show Paula's Party and the woman was crude bordering on disgusting at times -- I even thought she was drunk a few times. Then came the admission of an affair with a married man then the diabetes debacle and I have every reason to believe that Paula is a person of questionable character. Plus, the things that Bubba and Paula are being accused of saying just seem too..I don't know...they just don't seem like something this person is making up.

vCash
    I hate to think it's true, but with all of the witnesses she cites it's hard not to believe it. I've stayed in bad jobs longer than I should have, hoping it would get better, not wanting to go through the hassle of trying to find a new one. But you do reach a breaking point eventually.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    In my case, I watch CSI and I get annoyed at how they get DNA evidence in hours when those tests take at least a week (but two weeks is more common) to run.
    Ever watch House? And have any idea how remote any of it is from real medicine?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I stopped watching it because I got tired of them saying "we have no choice!" whenever they were about to do something dumb that would kill someone.

I know that any show that does anything with computers -- something I know something about -- gets it wrong most of the time. So I assume it's true of any other semi-technical profession that I don't know enough about to know for sure it's wrong.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Yep. Any show that has a military theme usually cracks me up. Yet there are lots of people who believe "Army Wives" is an accurate portrayal.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12