Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Lawsuit being brought against Paula Deen and her brother

I don't know if this has been posted here yet, but a former employee of Paula Deen's is filing a lawsuit against her enterprise. She's accusing them of sexual harassment, racism, etc...

http://www.radaronline.com/sites/rad...0Complaint.pdf

Paula and her brother have claimed the allegations are false. Whether it's true or not, the complaint is still a fascinating read.

vCash
    The complaint is a fascinating read. I can't say that any of it is surprising individually, but all put together like that and it's sickening. I didn't respect Deen before, but I definitely think she's a nutter now.

vCash
    The complaint is a fascinating read. I can't say that any of it is surprising individually, but all put together like that and it's sickening.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    The complaint is a fascinating read. I can't say that any of it is surprising individually, but all put together like that and it's sickening.
    I'm no Paula Deen fan, but it is just one side's argument in the law suit. I suspect the response will describe things differently. It may all be true, but we can't tell that just from one side's filings.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Well, yes, of course that's true. The complaint itself, however, is sickening, if it is true. Nothing I've read of Deen paints a pretty picture.

vCash
    Paula's claiming this woman was trying to extort her for 1.25 million, so we'll see how it all plays out in court. The way her brother Bubba is described... I guess I have a hard time believing someone, in this day and age, could be that much of a racist drunken bastard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scintillation View Post
    I guess I have a hard time believing someone, in this day and age, could be that much of a racist drunken bastard.
    He didn't seem at all extraordinary to me (sadly). That type of language isn't really uncommon (again, sadly).

ETA: Here's a bumper sticker that gets out some of the language described in the lawsuit:
    The sticker reads "Don't Re-Nig In 2012," in large white type, above smaller text that reads: "Stop repeat offenders. Don't re-elect Obama!"

The offensive design appears to have originated at a site called Stumpy's Stickers, where it can be purchased. The site sells variations on the same idea, including another "Don't Re-Nig" design and a caricature of a black man's face with a missing tooth, a picture of a chimp that reads "Obama 2012," and another with a drawing of several Ku Klux Klan members that reads "The Original Boys In The Hood."

http://www.theroot.com/buzz/crazy-ta...bumper-sticker
    Last edited by agalisgv; 03-16-2012 at 11:54 PM.

vCash
    That is just disgusting.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    I've seen pics of the sticker on facebook.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Why would someone, under the risk of perjury, make up such a story? I hope it isn't true.

vCash
    Interesting read. It appears that "Bubba" is the one Ms. Jackson is going after the most. Other than a few references to some less than classy comments from Paula Deen, there's not all that much mention of her. (I've never been much of a Paula Deen fan myself.)

vCash
    I read about this lawsuit the day after she appeared on Oprah about 2 wks ago. She was crying and carrying on about how tragic her life was before she got rich and famous and why she's "like she is." More PR before another storm.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    the more I read it, the more I believe it...

vCash
    I read excerpts of it to my mom, who immediately believed everything and is now raging that they need to kick Paula off food network. She's ah...well you see where my naive nature comes from.
    A question I do have is why did it take her this long to come forward with this lawsuit? She left Uncle Bubba's about a year and a half ago. Does it usually take that long to file a complaint?

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Yes, it does Scintillation. Here in CA, it works like so:

-Your lawyer prepares your complaint
    -You file a complaint with some agency with a lot of letters that works jointly with a federal agency with different letters (it's the same office apparently)
    -They have a certain amount of time to look at it
    -Most of the time they don't look at it but wait until their allotted time is up and then tell you that you can go ahead and sue because they aren't going to investigate
    -Then your lawyer prepares the lawsuit brief
    -Then you file
    -Wait for a court date
    -Go to court (if the company doesn't offer to settle out of court)

My employment lawyer told me that it normally takes 1.5-2 years to actually get to the lawsuit filing stage so 18 months sound about right.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Why would someone, under the risk of perjury, make up such a story? I hope it isn't true.
    In hopes the rich people she's suing will throw money at the problem to make it go away. It happens more often than you'd think. Or to get the notoriety/fame from being the Poor Sweet Victim and make a buck that way.

Or revenge for not thinking they got a big enough cut. Really, considering the "offenses" allegedly start right off the bat, one wonders why she'd have stayed there if she was so horribly offended and constantly abused. It's a job, not a marriage-you don't have to go to court to quit, you just walk out the door at the first offense.

vCash
    As if in this climate it's easy to just quit a job and hope you find something else. She wasn't paid as much as the males, but I'm sure she was paid a decent sum anyway. I know a lot of people who stay, or have stayed, in terrible jobs because the market is so poor. Many of them on this site.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    As if in this climate it's easy to just quit a job and hope you find something else. She wasn't paid as much as the males, but I'm sure she was paid a decent sum anyway. I know a lot of people who stay, or have stayed, in terrible jobs because the market is so poor. Many of them on this site.
    I'm not crying for someone making more than $65,000 a year. If the affidavit's true, and she was willing to put up what's described, well, we know what HER price is for selling out her morals. That, or she's lying or grossly exaggerating, which sounds a lot more likely, quite frankly. Probably hoping for a book deal and the talk-show circuit.

vCash
    I absolutely disagree that putting up with horrible treatment for 5 years - which is hardly that long a timespan - is akin to selling out your morals. If she sold out her morals, she'd still be there. She wouldn't have quit, and she wouldn't be suing.

I don't know if what she's saying is true, but so far we have no dirt on her whatsoever, just a natural tendency toward suspicion. It's ridiculous that any person who decides to stand up for herself, whether or not she is lying, will be immediately labeled a liar, morally bankrupt, and a sell out, because she put up with terrible things for five whole years. As if because someone is making $65,000+ a year is automatically exempt from compassion or sympathy. That sort of thinking, to me, is much more morally bankrupt. $65,000 is firmly middle-class, by the way. It's not like she was making millions.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    She started the job in 2005 before the economy went to shit. She could've quit then and moved onto another job.

ETA I'm not saying she's lying. Just pointing out that she didn't have to stay for 5 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast