Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Czisny's name isn't even on the list of top skaters in my DVR Guide program description for NBC's worlds broadcast. OUCH!

vCash
    Watched the NBC coverage of the mens free skate today and I feel the pain for my U.S. views. I almost yelled at my tv today -- something I don't feel the need to do during skating very often but ... well here's what happened.

Joubert was skating his Matrix and I was noticing that regardless of how much he was selling his skate to the crowd, I often felt "something" was missing (hint: transitions and stuffs). Anyway, Tracy makes a comment about his program and (now paraphrasing) how it it should have more inbetween the jumps (compared to Hanu, Dai and Patrick) and what does the male commentator say ... "well why should he?"

Well I was left sputtering and muttering to myself "for the marks, stupid, the PCS marks. You know, the stuff that apparently Joubert and Plushenko don't perform". Face palm engaged!

With commentary like that it come to no surprise to me that casual viewers wouldn't understand why Chan with his waxel beat Joubert who was clean.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Czisny's name isn't even on the list of top skaters in my DVR Guide program description for NBC's worlds broadcast. OUCH!
    I saw a caption at the bottom of the screen that said 22nd.

vCash
    Great outfit on Carolina Kostner. That's the first bodysuit I've seen in a legitimate competition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    Watched the NBC coverage of the mens free skate today and I feel the pain for my U.S. views. I almost yelled at my tv today -- something I don't feel the need to do during skating very often but ... well here's what happened.

Joubert was skating his Matrix and I was noticing that regardless of how much he was selling his skate to the crowd, I often felt "something" was missing (hint: transitions and stuffs). Anyway, Tracy makes a comment about his program and (now paraphrasing) how it it should have more inbetween the jumps (compared to Hanu, Dai and Patrick) and what does the male commentator say ... "well why should he?"

Well I was left sputtering and muttering to myself "for the marks, stupid, the PCS marks. You know, the stuff that apparently Joubert and Plushenko don't perform". Face palm engaged!

With commentary like that it come to no surprise to me that casual viewers wouldn't understand why Chan with his waxel beat Joubert who was clean.
    Seriously? I hope Tracy said something but I'm guessing not. Maybe she had the reaction you did. I think it's time to face it, the average fan will just never get it and should not be a commentator for figure skating. These people at home were probably going 'Ya, why should he?'

vCash
    The TV commentators are considered by all but the most ardent fans to be experts, to know what they're talking about, and to break down the action for the viewer. When even the analysts can't find words to explain a result, you know you've got a problem.

vCash
    I get the impression they always pair an expert with a non-expert. In this case, Tracy was the expert. I'm not sure why they feel they need the non-expert. Maybe his job is to make the sport more accessible to mainstream viewers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    They showed clips of Alissa's and Adam's programs (her falls, his step-outs), but not the whole thing. There was nothing shown of the Shibs or the U.S. pairs, and only brief clips of Savchenko/Slokowy and Voloshzar/Trankov, the top 2 pair finishers.

Maybe the point of the non-expert commentator is to ask the questions they think that the viewer might have so that the expert can answer them?

vCash

CBC Worlds - Rogers on demand

Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but all of the CBC main network telecasts of the Worlds (with Kurt and Tracy) are available "on demand" until the end of April on the Rogers Cable system. If you have this "on demand" option in your cable plan, go to the main menu screen (channel 100), select "TV Shows", then "CBC", then "bold". Within the bold section, you can find all the telecasts in both HD and standard defintition.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12