Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    “It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash

Amber Corwin on My Fair Wedding?!

Last night there was a new episode of My Fair Wedding with David Tutera, and Amber was on the episode as one of the bridesmaids of Taylor Strook. The theme was a Mad Men wedding so all of the wedding party got to do a photo shoot in the 60s style. It took place in California.

The show is on the WE channel if anyone wants to check it out. Amber appears later in the episode. She didn't say anything other than "I feel like a princess" when she got to wear her cool bridesmaid dress. But they showed her a lot.

vCash
    Did she get to wear a tiara?
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    No

vCash
    She looked lovely in the dress, though!

vCash
    Oh Amber! Your tiara and once of the worst jumping techniques ever seen. How I miss thee!

vCash
    She wasn't that bad. I give her a lot of credit for being late 20s, showing up to nationals every year for a decade, and doing a 3t-3t.

vCash
    I think you mean her 2t-2t

vCash
    Amber was known for mastering a 3/3 -- don't take that lofty accomplishment away from her. The jumps were rated as triple/ triples even if they were underrotated. All before CoP, therefore if Sarah Hughes could win gold with underrotated triples at '02 Olympics, Amber can be credited for landing 3/3s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAA0TJuISNU 2006 sp at age 27
    lands 3/3 tho' she falls on 2 other jumps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=the5aSRKW30 2001 lp -- 3/3 landed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCsed1iD1ag 2002 sp -- 3/3 landed

Amber landed 3/3s quite often during her career (despite wonky technique/ underrotations). Overall she did not have unmatchable strengths in every aspect of her skating, but she worked hard and kept trying.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 03-13-2012 at 06:19 AM.

vCash
    Those "3/3s" were usually both pre- and under-rotated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Those "3/3s" were usually both pre- and under-rotated.
    That they were, but in Amber's defense that wasn't a very big concern back in those days. She got good height on the jumps, so I always wondered if she could have fixed her toeloops if she had to, i.e. under IJS.

vCash
    Corwin did skate under IJS. She didn't retire until 2006.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Corwin did skate under IJS. She didn't retire until 2006.
    Forgot about 2006! I think she was already in swan song mode by that point and didn't care too much about downgrades. What I was thinking was having her compete under IJS for several years when she would have gotten dinged for underrotating on a regular basis. I just checked Nationals protocols and she actually got no < or << for her 3t-3t in 2006. Caller must have liked her tiaras in the past .

vCash
    Her 3-3 in 2006 was one of the best I remember her doing and I would've given it a + GOE. Both jumps were definitely 3 full rotations from the point of picking in to the landing edge and I don't find the prerotation on the toe to be more than would usually be required and expected just by the mechanics of the jump (in real time the takeoff looks fine to me, and that is what the tech panel uses to look at takeoffs). See here for an example of a severe pre-rotation on a 3T that should be obvious even in real time, and the jump was << (and also a lip on the flip so it got mostly -3 GOEs, which I agree with): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVozX...tailpage#t=70s

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RFOS View Post
    Her 3-3 in 2006 was one of the best I remember her doing and I would've given it a + GOE.
    You're right. The combination in the SP looks clean and she got positive GOE's in both the short and the long. Watching this again, it looks like her feet don't really pre-rotate that much, but she does this odd thing leading with her head and shoulders and that makes her look like she's pre-rotating a lot -when she really isn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAA0TJuISNU#t=42s

vCash
    Amber Corwin discussion aside, the mechanics of the toe jump do not really involve any pre-rotation.

Pre-rotation is only a natural occurrence that you can't get around on the edge jumps.

To the largest degree on the loop to a lesser degree on the salchow and axel.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Amber Corwin discussion aside, the mechanics of the toe jump do not really involve any pre-rotation.

Pre-rotation is only a natural occurrence that you can't get around on the edge jumps.

To the largest degree on the loop to a lesser degree on the salchow and axel.
    The toe pick would have to pivot at least some to initiate the rotation for a toe jump, but for a triple jump it would have to happen really quickly and shouldn't be obvious in real time (unlike for my single lutz that I saw on video once, where the mechanics were so slow that the prerotation was embarrassingly and glaringly obvious ). I agree that loops would probably tend have the most pre-rotation though. In order to get an underrotation or downgrade call, it needs to be obvious in real time (I'm sure lots of jumps that look fine in real time would be called underrotated if they could be looked at frame by frame, which I assume is why they don't allow that -- if I had a program that could do that, I'd be interested in that. Hmm, I should try to find one. I've already done several nerdy screencap analyses ).

What did you think of Amber's combination from 2006? What GOE would you give?

vCash
    Someone needs to upload her short program from the 2004 Nationals. It's my favorite Corwin performance!

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Last night there was a new episode of My Fair Wedding with David Tutera, and Amber was on the episode as one of the bridesmaids of Taylor Strook. The theme was a Mad Men wedding so all of the wedding party got to do a photo shoot in the 60s style. It took place in California.

The show is on the WE channel if anyone wants to check it out. Amber appears later in the episode. She didn't say anything other than "I feel like a princess" when she got to wear her cool bridesmaid dress. But they showed her a lot.
    Corwin can be seen in this 2.5 minute video: http://www.wetv.com/my-fair-wedding/...-mad-men-shoot

vCash
    She looks great in the videoclip.
    You can tell that she is accustomed to posing.

vCash
    I was wondering how Taylor knows Amber (skating related?) We'll probably never know...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast