Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Alissa.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    was anybody complaining when virtue & moir skated to valse triste? or rakkamo and kokko? someone else mentioned johnny weir. it's beautiful music when other skaters skate to it.

and the choreo is not any more empty than last season's, IMO.

why couldn't they have been going for that soft, hushed, solemnity and quietude--perhaps somebody on her team thought no other skater could do create that mood quite like czisny.

did anyone complain about the recent korngold short program? that to me was her absolute best program, not the grin-heavy la vie en rose or the stalk-stalk-stalk winston piece so many loved.

the korngold program now-- was that any more lively than valse triste? one could argue it was even more monotonous. the difference was it was a short program and there were not as many jumps to be stalked. and expectations weren't as high as they are now.

really reaching here, blaming USFS, choreo, music, vegan diet...
    Last edited by skfan; 03-12-2012 at 10:21 PM. Reason: ETA changed to correct composer, thanks martyross

vCash
    Folks have offered a number of reasons for Alyssa's inconsistent performances - insufficient protein and/or, insufficient carbs leading to lack of strength/energy, uninspiring music, uninspiring choreo, competition nerves. I honestly don't think it is any of those things.

I think it is simply a case that most triple jumps are at the limits of her physical capability.
    Perhaps- but isn't Olympic-level sport all about pushing those limits? Besides, she seemed to show at least SOME competence last season, even if she wasn't perfect. So the fact that she has fallen back into the up-down pattern, while no surprise, has shown that perhaps she has peaked as a competitor. That would be too bad, because we really need her at her best right now...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    I still haven't seen anything that confirms Alissa is a vegan.
    Neither have I.

And it's completely possible to get enough nutrients from a vegetarian or vegan diet to sustain an athlete.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skfan View Post
    did anyone complain about the recent schoenberg short program? that to me was her absolute best program, not the grin-heavy la vie en rose or the stalk-stalk-stalk winston piece so many loved.
    schoenberg program? Arnold Schoenberg? can't figure which one you mean..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by martyross View Post
    schoenberg program? Arnold Schoenberg? can't figure which one you mean..

sorry. Korngold. my oops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McGIK...7CF03EE35F870B

vCash
    Out on a limb with a question.
    Over the course of a season (given the same music), how do the number of changes in the jump sequences/layout from one event to the next
    for Kostner and Czisny compare to the "average" for skaters at this level?
    Maybe it's impossible to say what the "average" is.
    Team Czisny seems to have made more adjustments over the season than
    Team Kostner, but I don't claim that there is a connection to Alissa'a current problems or Kostner's success.

Kostner

SA .......3Lo ....3F .... .2A .........2A+2T ....3T+2T .........3S ....3S+2T+1Lo
    TEB .....3Lo ....2F .... .2A .........2A+2T ....3T+2T+2T ...3S ....3S+2T
    GPF .....3Lo ....3F ... ..1A .........2A+3T ....3T+2T .........3S ....3S+2T
    ICC ......3Lo ....3F .....2A+3T .. .3F+2T .... 2A...............3S ....3S+2T

Czisny
    SA .......3Lz+3T ......3F .......3Lo ........3Lz .......2S ......3Lo+2T .....2A+2T+2Lo
    TEB .....3Lz ............3F ....1A+2T ...3Lz+2T ....2A ......3Lo+2T ........3Lo
    GPF .....3Lz ............3T .......2A ......3Lz+2T ....2A ......3Lo ..............3Lo
    USNat .3Lz .........2A+2T ....3F .........3Lz .......2A ......3Lo ..........3Lo+2T+2Lo
    ICC ......1A ............ 2Lz ......3F ......1A+2T .....3Lz .....3Lo ..............3Lo

(sorry about the dots. no other way to align columns that I know of)
    -
    Last edited by geod2; 03-13-2012 at 02:44 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geod2 View Post
    Team Czisny seems to have made more adjustments over the season than
    Team Kostner, but I don't claim that there is a connection to Alissa'a current problems or Kostner's success.
    Nice table, and rather telling. Of course, it's hard to know whether moving jumps around is making it harder for Alissa to be consistent, or whether Team Alissa is moving the jumps around because Alissa can't ever seem to get comfortable with her current layout.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skfan View Post
    no prob! i was having an hard time picturing Alissa Czisny in the middle of a dodecaphonic piece

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    Nice table, and rather telling. Of course, it's hard to know whether moving jumps around is making it harder for Alissa to be consistent, or whether Team Alissa is moving the jumps around because Alissa can't ever seem to get comfortable with her current layout.
    It does highlight how they flip-flopped the 2a and 3lz. The 3lz after the 2 minute mark, on the correct edge, fully rotated and awarded 4.5 even with the fall shows Alissa is strong throughout, IMO. Switch them back?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    Of course, it's hard to know whether moving jumps around is making it harder for Alissa to be consistent, or whether Team Alissa is moving the jumps around because Alissa can't ever seem to get comfortable with her current layout.
    Kostner basically made only one change, going into ICC, but what a difference! ...Alissa, not so much.
    Gee, I wonder what Carolina's layout will be for Worlds?
    -
    Last edited by geod2; 03-13-2012 at 12:12 AM.

vCash
    Kostner appears to have gradually built up the technical content, and it appears that there's a clear intention of peaking at worlds in mind. Alissa's changes were a bit more disorganized, changing the layout fairly often instead of just making the program a bit harder but keeping the bones stable. Maybe she needs that though; quite often if something isn't working you need to shake it up and get the mistakes out of your head.

I was so excited about the Valse Triste program. It's one of my favourite pieces of music and although it can be dirge-like and boring it can also be strong and dramatic. It's not a piece of music that will carry you though, like the artistic band-aid EOE has become. You have to really get into the music and bring it alive. I thought Alissa would be able to do that; she managed just fine with her long last year, which I consider more difficult music than Valse Triste. But the program is just so empty and she brings no soul to the performance. I really, really hope she gets it together because her performance in the Hague was completely shocking. For her sake I hope she has a kick-ass performance in Nice, one that makes her happy. It's hard to watch an athlete struggle so much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    It's a known fact she's a vegan
    She was a vegetarian before but now she is a vegan, I've read it in a few articles, so she obviously takes it seriously.
    I have done a little hunting around on the Internet to see if it really was a "known fact" that Alissa Czisny is a vegan. I found various things dating back to 2010 that said that she had recently become a vegetarian, but the only thing I could find indicating she was a vegan was this post from shortly after Czisny announced that she was a vegetarian:

Alissa is a vegan now. That's probably why she looks very thin, but it's also assurance that she is being healthy about the weight loss.
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...&postcount=111

Perhaps the articles you've read are your own posts here on FSU?

pretty much nothing unhealthy and probably not much at all.
    They make lactose free, egg free "ice cream" which is what Alissa likely eats.
    How presumptuous of you. Especially the bit about whether she eats much of anything at all.

Moving on.... Here's hoping Czisny at Worlds.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Alissa had very good muscle tone at Nats, from just a few feet away. She is clearly getting enough protein.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    I have done a little hunting around on the Internet to see if it really was a "known fact" that Alissa Czisny is a vegan. I found various things dating back to 2010 that said that she had recently become a vegetarian, but the only thing I could find indicating she was a vegan was this post from shortly after Czisny announced that she was a vegetarian:
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...&postcount=111

Perhaps the articles you've read are your own posts here on FSU?
    How presumptuous of you. Especially the bit about whether she eats much of anything at all.

Moving on.... Here's hoping Czisny at Worlds.

vCash
    I was looking at the season's world rankings and was surprised---although I guess I shouldn't have been---that Wagner (4th) and Zhang(9th) outrank Czisny (11th).

vCash
    Wagner's not too big of a surprise but Zhang? Damn...Alyssa's really fallen off this season! She'll literally be picking up the pieces at worlds. I just hope she can hang on. I'm not even expecting a great turnout from her. More pressure on Wagner than there needs to be...

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    I was looking at the season's world rankings and was surprised---although I guess I shouldn't have been---that Wagner (4th) and Zhang(9th) outrank Czisny (11th).
    That's because Alissa Czisny doesn't have any ISU Championship ranking points in her column due to not having competed at Four Continents (ditto for Akiko Suzuki): http://www.isuresults.com/ws/wr/wrladies.htm

vCash
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    What a , kneejerk thread, full of (mostly) pointless whining.

Alissa had one bad competition. It happens.

But apparently she's "going back to her old self," "doesn't get enough nutrients because she's a vegan" () and evil USFS police is trying to get this thread closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Forty points behind Kostner and 20 points behind a skater who is rarely seen.
    Rarely seen?

8 European Championships (in the top 10 at the last five), 4 Worlds, 2 GPs this season, 2GPs last season, etc.

Vegan is vegetarian plus no eggs and no lactose. They make lactose free, egg free "ice cream" which is what Alissa likely eats. Ever heard of tofutti cuties or soy dream? Both are vegan "ice creams".
    No, it isn't. Being vegan means not consuming or using any animal derived products.

And yes, ice cream is definitely a staple food for competitive athletes.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 03-13-2012 at 05:08 AM.

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast