Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    This is true in the United States as well. Skaters can spend hundreds of thousands of dollars before they are able to receive anything from the federation. Scholarships available from clubs may pay for a pair of boots.

I imagine it is true in most countries.
    Eh.... America starts giving small amounts of funding once you get on their squads, which still requires a much higher level than what we have here but is not necessarily limited to the absolute top result producing skaters...

The difference is, in America skating is much bigger... More people watch, participate, pay! haha.. It is popular enough that they can receive MASSIVE amounts of sponsorship from big big companies... AT&T springs to mind, and I think a big jam company sponsored the last one?

Australia is a long way off before we get the "Coca Cola Australian National Championships"

The last one we got was Powerband in Melbourne, and they got a crackdown from the ACCC for fraudulent advertising and claims soon after... :S
    (On the upside I got a free Powerband--- oh wait they ended up not working )

Fact is, until we are getting this kind of attention in Australia, we can't be expecting big money from ISA because they simply don't have it :S

Quote Originally Posted by VALuvsMKwan View Post
    Nicole Kidman played a psycho who did ice skating in "To Die For", did she not? Maybe your federation could ask her to lend her name to educational efforts/outreach/contribution efforts.
    I just can't reply to this XD XD

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AusTechSpec View Post
    Eh.... America starts giving small amounts of funding once you get on their squads, which still requires a much higher level than what we have here but is not necessarily limited to the absolute top result producing skaters...

The difference is, in America skating is much bigger... More people watch, participate, pay! haha.. It is popular enough that they can receive MASSIVE amounts of sponsorship from big big companies... AT&T springs to mind, and I think a big jam company sponsored the last one?

Australia is a long way off before we get the "Coca Cola Australian National Championships"

The last one we got was Powerband in Melbourne, and they got a crackdown from the ACCC for fraudulent advertising and claims soon after... :S
    (On the upside I got a free Powerband--- oh wait they ended up not working )

Fact is, until we are getting this kind of attention in Australia, we can't be expecting big money from ISA because they simply don't have it :S

I just can't reply to this XD XD

Absolutely correct.

oh and to the comment about nicole kidman ????

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    Absolutely correct.

oh and to the comment about nicole kidman ????
    You did see the winking emoticon, didn't you?
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    It's really sad that I opened up this post for an apparently heated debate on Australian testing structure, and ended up forming an opinion about politicking skills.

So what about novice patterns that a senior dancer struggles with? How do they compare to senior dance tests?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VALuvsMKwan View Post
    You did see the winking emoticon, didn't you?
    Sorry didnt see it... my apologies

like jjane is saying, lets get back to the topic

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    There is a thread on the new minimum TES implemented by the ISU for championship events that is worth looking at.

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=84105

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jjane45 View Post
    It's really sad that I opened up this post for an apparently heated debate on Australian testing structure, and ended up forming an opinion about politicking skills.

So what about novice patterns that a senior dancer struggles with? How do they compare to senior dance tests?
    The senior dancer more just looked like he was used to holding onto someone and so with lack of partner his upperbody flailed around
    He hasn;t been a dancer long though...

For the interest of non-australian viewers should I post the links to our new patterns?

vCash
    For the interest of non-australian viewers should I post the links to our new patterns?
    Absolutely!

It does sound like the skaters learned the patterns and were tested on them in a very short period of time. While elite skaters shouldn't have much problem picking up these moves, it is typical for skaters to train things for awhile before they are tested. I would imagine skaters will have more success in meeting the standard once they are established and have time to train them. The training time will also mean they get used to "not holding on" to a partner, and hopefully the desired effect of improved basic skating happens!

vCash

vCash
    Very nice. The elementary test is pretty high level for a first test. Nothing to ease you in... (some of those patterns are on the third adult test in the US, so I think fourth standard track test)

I like how the alternating three turns are truncated to not have to go all the way around the rink twice- I think our current pattern is too long. My back insides aren't strong enough so I lose a lot of speed by the time I get all the way to the other end of the rink.

I can see how the novice test might give a skater above that level trouble if they just learned it. Doing things on pattern is different from doing them in the program you are used to.

They are good tests though.

vCash
    Very nice. The elementary test is pretty high level for a first test. Nothing to ease you in... (some of those patterns are on the third adult test in the US, so I think fourth standard track test)

I like how the alternating three turns are truncated to not have to go all the way around the rink twice- I think our current pattern is too long. My back insides aren't strong enough so I lose a lot of speed by the time I get all the way to the other end of the rink.

I can see how the novice test might give a skater above that level trouble if they just learned it. Doing things on pattern is different from doing them in the program you are used to.

Great observations...

The three turn patterns are that way as in general it is younger kids that would be taking that particular tests, who often do not have a developed enough body and leg power to keep the pattern and speed the whole length of the ice...

This way they can still be tested on the skill of their turns alone...

And your point on the novice patterns is spot on... doing turns that don't require held and controlled edges is much harder than in step sequences where often skaters fall from one turn to the next...

vCash
    Me too.

I'm surprised that the primary focus for the Australian move is Power. On the comparable US moves it's edge quality and usually covers more ice with each lobe.

Actually I think it's easier to achieve the edge quality with smaller lobes, and maybe better flow if it's acceptable for the lobes to retrogress a bit at the transitions. But I still don't see how it's a power move with such small lobes.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    You want edge quality, you bring back figures.

(I'm only partially kidding. )

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Me too.

I'm surprised that the primary focus for the Australian move is Power. On the comparable US moves it's edge quality and usually covers more ice with each lobe.

Actually I think it's easier to achieve the edge quality with smaller lobes, and maybe better flow if it's acceptable for the lobes to retrogress a bit at the transitions. But I still don't see how it's a power move with such small lobes.
    Only the first two patterns in Primary have a focus on power...

The third and fourth ones that skittle were talking about are focused on edge quality....

Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    You want edge quality, you bring back figures.

(I'm only partially kidding. )
    The idea behind these was to teach figure level quality without having to reintroduce figures.... Not quite possible I think, but these patterns should still increase overall edge quality...

Accept no substitutes
    vCash
    Very nice. The elementary test is pretty high level for a first test. Nothing to ease you in... (some of those patterns are on the third adult test in the US, so I think fourth standard track test).
    There is also a Preliminary test which you must pass before you can test anything else at all (including dance). It's only plain forward and backward edges. It would probably count as the 'easing in' test in the sense of being the first formal test and being quite straightforward.
    The ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods, and the cats have never forgotten.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Hop View Post
    There is also a Preliminary test which you must pass before you can test anything else at all (including dance). It's only plain forward and backward edges. It would probably count as the 'easing in' test in the sense of being the first formal test and being quite straightforward.
    Ahh yes I guess we all forgot about that one...

The preliminary test has remained the same as it has been for the last couple of years...

vCash
    Only the first two patterns in Primary have a focus on power...
    I was talking about the first pattern under Elementary, the alternating threes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    I was talking about the first pattern under Elementary, the alternating threes.
    my bad

vCash

Good observation. One of the things I've noticed since we rolled out the new MIF tests the other year is that quite a few of the skaters who weren't exposed to forward loops and forward twizzles in the old test structure (because they had passed through Intermediate or Novice before the tests changed) often seem to have more difficulty mastering (at least for test purposes) the back twizzle pattern (on our Novice test) or the back loop pattern (on our Junior MIF test).

It's not universal and some of it depends on the coach and the skater, also.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jenlyon60 View Post
    It's not universal and some of it depends on the coach and the skater, also.
    I saw a coach, who is a decent coach but had never done figures himself, teaching someone how to do a figure eight and I was . That is a big problem with the whole "we did away with figures but are now bringing elements of them back" idea (which, btw, I am all for). You have coaches out there - and lots of them - without the institutional knowledge on how they are supposed to be done, especially the loops. I hope the powers that be bring/have brought in some heavy duty training for the coaches.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast