Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 223
  1. #181

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    48
    Posts
    17,938
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34819
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    OMG are we really still talking about this..

    Like i have said many times, im just stating my opinion, and if my opinion is saying that i dont value a mothers opinion about skating then im allowed to say that...
    I can't believe that you still don't get it. A moderator comes on this forum, explains it again and again, and you still don't understand that what you say is just not appropriate. And particularly if you are a "high level" coach you are really going against your code of ethics.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

  2. #182
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    219
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by AusTechSpec View Post
    I have always believed that the main reason to send a skater overseas is to expose them to the next level of skating, after that it's all on them. No coach can get you a 3A, only the skater can... But to go overseas and see many many skaters trying and landing that jump shows you what is possible and can inspire you to achieve it... Sports are 90% mental....
    I totally believe your right!

  3. #183
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Kostner #1 Fan
    Posts
    455
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I can't believe that you still don't get it. A moderator comes on this forum, explains it again and again, and you still don't understand that what you say is just not appropriate. And particularly if you are a "high level" coach you are really going against your code of ethics.
    I dont understand who it is innappropriate to say that i dont respect someones opinion. It is not a personal attack at anyone, i merely value her opinion much less than say a judge like yourself.

  4. #184
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    219
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    I dont understand who it is innappropriate to say that i dont respect someones opinion. It is not a personal attack at anyone, i merely value her opinion much less than say a judge like yourself.
    Thanks everyone for the support but Sk8coach is going to just to continue along this way no matter what any of you say . Can I suggest on this topic that ya'll just go on about your business and if I come up in the convo you will all have to understand that Sk8coach has a personal issue with me (because they know who I am lol ) and you can take it with a grain of salt. Thanks Windspirt for trying!!

    Now back to your normal programming
    Last edited by Oz_sk8ting_mum; 06-27-2012 at 10:06 AM.

  5. #185

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    48
    Posts
    17,938
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34819
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    I dont understand who it is innappropriate to say that i dont respect someones opinion. It is not a personal attack at anyone, i merely value her opinion much less than say a judge like yourself.
    Well as a judge I have a lot more respect for Oz Skate Mum generally than I do for you because you have shown a total lack of respect for everyone else.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

  6. #186
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Kostner #1 Fan
    Posts
    455
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Well as a judge I have a lot more respect for Oz Skate Mum generally than I do for you because you have shown a total lack of respect for everyone else.
    This is why Australian judges suck

  7. #187

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    48
    Posts
    17,938
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34819
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    This is why Australian judges suck
    Oh my goodness. Is that the best you can do? Coming from a coach. Well I certainly hope you don't expect anything from the judges in your state if that is your attitude towards them. Maybe you shouldn't have your skaters competing. Because it is rather hypocritical for you to expect judges to turn up to competitions and tests to judge your skaters when you think they suck.
    Last edited by Aussie Willy; 06-27-2012 at 01:33 PM.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

  8. #188
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Kostner #1 Fan
    Posts
    455
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Oh my goodness. Coming from a coach. Well I certainly hope you don't expect anything from the judges in your state if that is your attitude towards them. Maybe you shouldn't have your skaters competing. Because it is rather hypocritical for you to expect judges to turn up to competitions and tests to judge your skaters when you think they suck.

    Oh thats so typical.. Judges think that this sport is all about them. You have to remember that you judges are only here because of the skaters. Judges are critical of skater and coaches all the time, so why cant we do it back.

  9. #189

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    48
    Posts
    17,938
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34819
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    Oh thats so typical.. Judges think that this sport is all about them. You have to remember that you judges are only here because of the skaters. Judges are critical of skater and coaches all the time, so why cant we do it back.
    Oh well the judges can all stop judging if you like. And then you wouldn't have competitions for your skaters to compete in because who is going to judge them.

    On the other hand if there were no competitions the sport would probably die because most skaters learn because they are competing. Then you would be out of a job.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

  10. #190
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Kostner #1 Fan
    Posts
    455
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Oh well the judges can all stop judging if you like. And then you wouldn't have competitions for your skaters to compete in because who is going to judge them.

    On the other hand if there were no competitions the sport would probably die because most skaters learn because they are competing. Then you would be out of a job.

    You should leave then.. I don't tell my students that they should skate to please the judges or that you need to be the best in the world. I tell them to skate because they love it. So even if all the judges were to leave, all the skaters would stay because we love the sport.

    Remember that competitions are here for the skaters, coaches are here for the skaters, judges are here for the skaters. So try not to make this about you.

  11. #191
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    11,013
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Are judges in Australia paid? In the US they are all volunteer. So while coaches make money off the sport, judges don't. (And it costs a considerable amount of money to become a judge...although once you are one your expenses are paid for at least.) Or maybe sk8ingcoach is volunteering to teach all his students, for love of the sport.


    I do have to say I now understand why Australian skaters get low PCS- their coaches are terrible at "politiking"

  12. #192
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Kostner #1 Fan
    Posts
    455
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Are judges in Australia paid? In the US they are all volunteer. So while coaches make money off the sport, judges don't. (And it costs a considerable amount of money to become a judge...although once you are one your expenses are paid for at least.) Or maybe sk8ingcoach is volunteering to teach all his students, for love of the sport.


    I do have to say I now understand why Australian skaters get low PCS- their coaches are terrible at "politiking"

    No judges dont get paid, however they do insist on more judge funding so that they can all go and judge overseas. I dont see the sense in funding judges to go overseas, when we barely have enough money to send skaters overseas.

    And if you wanted to know, coaching is not my only occupation. Yes i get paid for coaching, but i do not teach for the money, i teach because i want to share my love for the sport.

  13. #193
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    11,013
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    So when judges go overseas to judge- do you mean as Australia's representative to ISU international competitions? Or are they going overseas to judge non-qualifying type competitions?

    It makes sense to send them as part of ISU competitions. Sadly, it is a political sport, and Australia needs the judges there for all the talking that goes on. (Did you see skater X? She's really improved her edges... etc) But if it isn't those type events, then I understand the reasoning.

    I was surprised to hear the 4CCs skaters paid their own way. Do the athletes get funding for the trip to Worlds?

  14. #194
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Kostner #1 Fan
    Posts
    455
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    So when judges go overseas to judge- do you mean as Australia's representative to ISU international competitions? Or are they going overseas to judge non-qualifying type competitions?

    It makes sense to send them as part of ISU competitions. Sadly, it is a political sport, and Australia needs the judges there for all the talking that goes on. (Did you see skater X? She's really improved her edges... etc) But if it isn't those type events, then I understand the reasoning.

    I was surprised to hear the 4CCs skaters paid their own way. Do the athletes get funding for the trip to Worlds?
    Most of our judges just want a paid trip overseas whether its to and ISU int competition or not.

    I dont know the full situation but i think that if skaters placed high enough to get through the peliminary round, or to the long program then some of the trip will be paid for ( not sure who pays if ISU or ISAustralia)... I know that the few skaters in Queensland who have had overseas competitions have had their state association help with the payments as well ( but the queensland association is much different to other state associations)

  15. #195
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    189
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    Most of our judges just want a paid trip overseas whether its to and ISU int competition or not.

    I dont know the full situation but i think that if skaters placed high enough to get through the peliminary round, or to the long program then some of the trip will be paid for ( not sure who pays if ISU or ISAustralia)... I know that the few skaters in Queensland who have had overseas competitions have had their state association help with the payments as well ( but the queensland association is much different to other state associations)
    I understand not liking that we pay judges to go to comps and training seminars when there is not much money at all being spent on the skaters..

    However at the same time I find it hard to say we should make volunteer judges fund themselves for this trip...

    The only solution is, WE NEED MORE MONEY... hahaha

  16. #196
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Kostner #1 Fan
    Posts
    455
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by AusTechSpec View Post
    I understand not liking that we pay judges to go to comps and training seminars when there is not much money at all being spent on the skaters..

    However at the same time I find it hard to say we should make volunteer judges fund themselves for this trip...

    The only solution is, WE NEED MORE MONEY... hahaha

    Oh dont get me wrong.. Judges do need money if they are going to ISU events. But judges know that we dont have much money, yet they still insist on more and more funding for themselves.

    But yes, you are right, we just need more money

  17. #197
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    189
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    If I had one major complaint about the funding situation Australia wide, it would be that ISA only seems to fund skaters that have already made it.

    To clarify, they give skaters money if they perform WELL at high level comps like worlds, jworld, 4CC, olympics etc.. Which is great...

    But they aren't really doing anything to help get those skaters there in the first place... They need to invest money to help get results, not just reward results after the skaters have made many expensive sacrifices to get them...

    Scholarship programs currently in place are a good start but can only do so much....

  18. #198
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    11,013
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by AusTechSpec View Post
    If I had one major complaint about the funding situation Australia wide, it would be that ISA only seems to fund skaters that have already made it.
    This is true in the United States as well. Skaters can spend hundreds of thousands of dollars before they are able to receive anything from the federation. Scholarships available from clubs may pay for a pair of boots. Heck, I'm a low level rec skater and it is scary when I add up when up what I spend in a single year...I can't imagine doing this on the elite level, and very few are in the funding envelopes.

    I imagine it is true in most countries.
    Last edited by Skittl1321; 06-27-2012 at 03:59 PM.

  19. #199
    Wandering Goy
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Age
    58
    Posts
    4,970
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5836
    Quote Originally Posted by AusTechSpec View Post
    I understand not liking that we pay judges to go to comps and training seminars when there is not much money at all being spent on the skaters..

    However at the same time I find it hard to say we should make volunteer judges fund themselves for this trip...

    The only solution is, WE NEED MORE MONEY... hahaha
    Nicole Kidman played a psycho who did ice skating in "To Die For", did she not? Maybe your federation could ask her to lend her name to educational efforts/outreach/contribution efforts.
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

  20. #200

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,612
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42893
    Are there any relevant links/public information re. Australian funding of elite skaters that can be posted in this thread? http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=83627
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •