Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

vCash

New Australian Pattern Tests

Have any other Australian posters had a look at the new tests? They are on the ISA website and come in after 1st May.

For those outside Australia they are based on the US pattern tests.

I had a look at them today - well the first 3 ones. The more advanced ones are quite difficult. But I think it is about time they developed tests that will work on skating skills and hopefully create a better standard of basic skating.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I Agree, It seems our program componant mark always lets us down and skatings skills are a big part of that,
    Some of our high level skaters don't know how to use their edges hopefully these tests will help in that area and help produce better skaters all round!

Accept no substitutes
    vCash
    I looked, but I was only really concerned with what they did with the Preliminary test - and was hugely relieved that they didn't change it, as I need to pass it in order to be able to test dance. Which is more problematic than it should be!

But I agree with what you're saying in principle.
    The ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods, and the cats have never forgotten.

vCash
    Trying to improve the level of skating is always a good thing.

vCash
    Cheers for the heads up, Aussie. I'm hoping to test Preliminary at some point this year so I need to be paying attention to these.

I have to say, I like the edge patterns in the Aussie Skate program and think they set up for the edge patterns at Preliminary quite well. Thoughts? Should they have more edge patterns in Aussie Skate?

vCash
    what are the edge patterns in aussie skate.. i did aussie skate in 1996.. i think all the tests/levels are different now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Cheers for the heads up, Aussie. I'm hoping to test Preliminary at some point this year so I need to be paying attention to these.

I have to say, I like the edge patterns in the Aussie Skate program and think they set up for the edge patterns at Preliminary quite well. Thoughts? Should they have more edge patterns in Aussie Skate?
    There is enough in Aussie Skate to cover the basics.

Preliminary hasn't changed. It is only Elementary and above.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Oz_sk8ting_mum View Post
    I Agree, It seems our program componant mark always lets us down and skatings skills are a big part of that,
    Some of our high level skaters don't know how to use their edges hopefully these tests will help in that area and help produce better skaters all round!

I find it offensive that a skating mother can criticise the high level skaters when she probably doesn't have any idea about skating skills ??????

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    I find it offensive that a skating mother can criticise the high level skaters when she probably doesn't have any idea about skating skills ??????
    Well it's easy to offend you!

So your assuming that because i might "just" be a Parent i have no skill's of observation? what a narrow minded thought?? Maybe Im Kristi Yamaguchi ‏"Skating Mum"

Thanks for the laugh!!

vCash
    There was nothing offensive in that post at all. It is pretty widely acknowledged that Australian skaters need to work on their skating skills and many think that these new pattern tests are a step in the right direction. Oz_skating_mum is pretty much reiterating what many others, including judges, coaches and other parents, are saying.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Oz_sk8ting_mum View Post
    Well it's easy to offend you!

So your assuming that because i might "just" be a Parent i have no skill's of observation? what a narrow minded thought?? Maybe Im Kristi Yamaguchi ‏"Skating Mum"

Thanks for the laugh!!
    Well as you are Australian i very much doubt you are Kristi Yamaguchis mum. But as i am an Australian coach, with high level students ( not naming ) i find it offensive that u can critisise my students. And if your such such an expert in observation, then why dont you coach if you think you know everything ???

vCash
    I dont think its really offensive to say australian skaters dont have the greatest skating skills... anyone can see that by looking at the results of international competition...

vCash
    It was just the manner that Oz skating mum made her statement. " some of our high level skaters don't know how to use their edges" it sounds as though she thinks she knows better than the coaches, or better than the skaters and that she could do better everyone. Yes, it is appropriate to say that our top skaters are not perfect at the different turns, but its sounds like OZ skating Mum thinks she knows better than everyone

vCash
    sk8ingcoach - I think you read too much into it. It didn't seem like there was any ill will towards Australian skaters in the comment, just that their edges are not always the strongest. Hopefully the pattern tests will help that and their PCS will rise.

I've read so many times on FSU posters saying even Olympic medalists don't know how to use their edges. I think saying the same thing of lower ranked skaters isn't really out of line. I greatly enjoyed the Australian skaters at 4CCs, and hope to see more of them, but it is true their edge quality is not that of the top skaters. Heck- many Americans lack it, and they've done moves in the field tests...

vCash
    It was just the manner that Oz skating mum made her statement. " some of our high level skaters don't know how to use their edges" it sounds as though she thinks she knows better than the coaches, or better than the skaters and that she could do better everyone. Yes, it is appropriate to say that our top skaters are not perfect at the different turns, but its sounds like OZ skating Mum thinks she knows better than everyone
    So would it be better if it came from judges and other coaches? Because they could say the same thing.

I think you are being way too sensitive and taking it very personally. Because myself and others here haven't read it that way at all. And it was not directed at any skaters in particular. Just a general comment about our standard of skating in Australia.

vCash
    Well as you are Australian i very much doubt you are Kristi Yamaguchis mum. But as i am an Australian coach, with high level students ( not naming ) i find it offensive that u can critisise my students. And if your such such an expert in observation, then why dont you coach if you think you know everything ???
    You caught me out .. Not Kristi Yamaguchi.

Coach you only need to look at our program component marks on the international level to see they need work, our skaters come back from O/S told to work on Skating skills, skating skills, skating skills. (which was my original comment )

We have very few skaters who have beautiful edge work of course there are always some but .. Please don't take offence, this is something our skaters need to work on and bring up our levels YAY and these pattern tests can only be good for this country.
    Last edited by Oz_sk8ting_mum; 06-08-2012 at 02:37 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    So would it be better if it came from judges and other coaches? Because they could say the same thing.

I think you are being way too sensitive and taking it very personally. Because myself and others here haven't read it that way at all. And it was not directed at any skaters in particular. Just a general comment about our standard of skating in Australia.
    it would have been more appropriate to be said from a coach or judge.. not from a mother.

IMO it sounded as though she thought she was better than all the australian coaches and that she should be teaching students how to use their edges properly

vCash
    Is this the British skating thread I've popped into?
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    it would have been more appropriate to be said from a coach or judge.. not from a mother.

IMO it sounded as though she thought she was better than all the australian coaches and that she should be teaching students how to use their edges properly
    No, it didn't sound like that at all; it's a point that can be made in many of the newer ISU member programs' skaters. I remember the first Pairs team from India who competed internationally and what critiques came from that performance.

I think you overreacted to some perceived slight, which reflects more about you than about them. As others have pointed out, this is an area of development for many skaters in countries with few elite coaches/skaters and they do have to be challenged to improve. That's difficult to do without any training partners or picayune coaches. Anne Schelter has been brought in by ISA to conduct stroking and edge workshops for the elite skaters, so the ISA is addressing the issue.

Rather than sticking your head in the sand, I wouldn't be quite so defensive or arrogant; it's a common situation, even in the US, for skaters to be criticized for their posture, stroking and edgework. The US Moves tests were introduced to address this gap, so it's a good step for the Australian federation to take.

Parents and skating fans can recognize good edges and stroking, even though they may not be able to make corrections to the skater's technique. To take every word as a severe criticism is a sign of inexperience as a coach and an insult to the person making the comment. For all you know, that person may be a former skater themselves that CAN recognize areas of improvement, moreso than even you. Just because s/he is a parent doesn't make their opinions or observations any less accurate. I have several skating parents who actually study skating to help their skaters understand why I'm so picky about pointed toes, body position and extension.

Coaches who have confidence in their abilities and their skaters tend to react with poise and dignity, not vehemence and dismissal.
    Last edited by FigureSpins; 06-08-2012 at 06:32 PM.

vCash
    FigureSpins - very well said. I totally agree.

Sk8ingcoach - you really need to be careful coming on these forums and getting up in arms about what someone says. At the end of the day the rest of us are looking at what you are saying and coming up with perceptions of yourself, not the person you are making comments about.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast