Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I think we should "Spring Forward" one year so all the people who think it's so wonderful to have an "extra hour" of daylight will be happy and then never "Fall Back" and stop doing this hack job on the calendar, which is just robbing Peter to pay Paul and doesn't do what it was intended to do (save energy) anyway.

I am one of those people who gets thrown off for a week by DST and I just hate, hate, hate it. And all these people being chipper about it and acting like it's a gift just make me GRUMPIER!!!
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    I wonder if all those street doomsayers will adjust their signs that say "The World Will End At Midnight (12:30 Newfoundland)" ?

vCash
    Thanks for the reminder, FSWer!
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    I think we should "Spring Forward" one year so all the people who think it's so wonderful to have an "extra hour" of daylight will be happy and then never "Fall Back" and stop doing this hack job on the calendar, which is just robbing Peter to pay Paul and doesn't do what it was intended to do (save energy) anyway.

I am one of those people who gets thrown off for a week by DST and I just hate, hate, hate it. And all these people being chipper about it and acting like it's a gift just make me GRUMPIER!!!
    You must be younger than I am. They tried that one year. It think it was in the 70's or early 80's. There were many accidents with school children getting hit while going to school in the dark. As someone who still walks to an elementary school every morning, I can still see the danger.

I would be happy to do away with daylight savings. If you want more daylight - get up earlier.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    If you want more daylight - get up earlier.

Yeah... that really helps those of us who use those extra evening hours-worth of daylight for outdoor purposes. Some of us do more when we come home from work than plunk our asses in front of a TV or computer. I cycle for 15-20 miles after work during the Spring/Summer/Fall months, but I can only do that when there is enough daylight to do an hour to an hour and a half ride. And that doesn't include the time it takes for me to get home from my job, change clothes, load the bike in the car and drive to the trailhead parking (I do NOT ride on the roads, only on the bike trails). Not to mention, I'd have to get up at 4:30 AM to do my cycling workouts in the morning... so much for "more daylight" by getting up earlier, plus it's pitch black outside and doesn't start getting light until well after 7:00 AM post "Fall Back"/pre "Spring Forward", at least here in the northeastern US.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Well, aren't you just the paragon of virtue, Karina.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    You must be younger than I am.
    I'd be surprised. I'm probably old enough to be your mother.

Maybe they tried that where you lived but it wasn't a country-wide thing.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    I thought this happened in April? I am a nocturnal animal and hate hate hate DST.
    It used to happen in April, but recently they changed it to March.

vCash

Nope they really did. I will try to find some information about it. It might have been as far back as Nixon.

Found this on info-please http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/sci/A0814845.html

National year-round daylight saving time was adopted as a fuel-saving measure during the energy crisis of the winter of 1973–74. In late 1974, standard time was reinstituted for the winter period.

Read more: daylight saving time — Infoplease.com http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/sci/A0...#ixzz1opBFGkyx

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i refuse to get up earlier on the monday after this cruel spring ahead, i get there when i get there. after about 7 10 days it works itself out.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i refuse to get up earlier on the monday after this cruel spring ahead, i get there when i get there. after about 7 10 days it works itself out.
    I wish I could do that. Somehow though, I think my classroom might have run amok by the time I got there!

I'm even more tired than usual on the first day after DST kicks in as I slept like crap last night.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    I wish I could do that. Somehow though, I think my classroom might have run amok by the time I got there!
    but they would love it!
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    but they would love it!
    Yeah...

vCash
    I'm one of those who love having daylight in the evening, so it's worth the hour lost last night (and vice versa for the fall).

vCash
    I started getting up an hour earlier on Friday, after reading an article about adjusting to DST. Felt like crap yesterday, after getting up at 5 AM, not too much better today. Maybe, by tomorrow, I'll be more adjusted. I do like having the daylight after work, so eventually, it will be worth it.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Ugh, is Spring forward always in mid-March? Because I thought it was in April. Or may be it's just wishful thinking, can't stand losing an hour.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Well I was in HS back then and I don't remember that at all

Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    I'm even more tired than usual on the first day after DST kicks in as I slept like crap last night.
    I think sleeping like crap the night before is part of the DST experience. It's like we know we are going to lose an hour so our brain makes sure we have even less sleep worrying about how we really need to fall asleep. Or something.

Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Ugh, is Spring forward always in mid-March? Because I thought it was in April. Or may be it's just wishful thinking, can't stand losing an hour.
    It was in April for decades. And the fact that we now know it wastes energy instead of saves it makes it even more that they moved it back. Let's waste even more energy! Whee!

vCash

I remember this quite well. It would have been 1973. I remember because it was the only year I worked at a particular school.

vCash
    It was 1973--I was in grade school. Our teacher had all of us bring a candle (in a holder) and she set them on the window ledge and lit them all. We had class by candlelight. It was actually a lot of fun--she was a fun teacher.

And yes, it was April in the spring, and the week before Halloween in the fall. Then about 2-3 years ago it was changed to March in the spring and November in the fall. And every year since then, so many people seem so surprised when it happens. Guess what--it'll happen again next year too!! So get your "surprised" on.
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

vCash
    Alberta didn't start DST until 1972. I thought it was later than that until I searched Google for the information. Now, for almost 8 months a year, Pat C and I are on the same time...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast