Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Thumbs up "Girl Gone Wild" - Madonna's New Single

"Girl Gone Wild," the second single from Madonna's upcoming "MDNA" album (out 26th March) is out now and it's so amazing, it deserves its own thread.

After the relative flop of "Give Me All Your Luvin,'" this is exactly what she needed.

An immediate, super catchy, dancefloor-filling stomper that has a "gay club where everybody is so drugged up, they are hyper-ventillating" vibe.

Which exactly what all Madonna's songs should be like.

Watch the official lyric video here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBMiYJ7kzbI&

I just can't stop listening to this.

There's a video preview and it looks like it's going to be "Erotica for the 21st century." Lots of flesh on display, men kissing, etc. She probably hopes it's going to get banned in at least 54 countries, ramping up the YT views like mad.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebtC5LdoYA&

Also, Andy Gill - pretty much the only music journalist whose judgement I trust and respect - got invited to an early listen of the album and gave it a glowing review:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...e-7544751.html

vCash
    I thought it debuted last week? If so it is already a flop as it didn't chart this last week.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    good grief, the titles of these songs they sound like they were cooked up by a focus group "what would get a 50-something pop star back on the charts with today's youth?"

Madonna should not need that kind of overthinking on her songs.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I listened to it.

Meh. Good production, but her music lately lacks a lot of that tension and energy from many years ago, including this number. I want something to make me get out of my chair. This doesn't really do it.

BTW, Cyndi Lauper called. She wants her line back

Tinami 2012
    vCash
    Ziggy, I'm with you . I've listened to this song at least 100 times in the past week. One can argue it's reductive or whatever, but no one can make me dance around the living room like Madonna.

I'm intrigued by the preview of Gang Bang that's on YouTube.

Hell, I even liked Give Me All You're Luvin.

CAN'T WAIT FOR MDNA!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Her voice is as thin as it has ever sounded. It sounds like someone put a gun to her head and forced her to sing this. Could she be any less excited? This song is still 100x better than GMAYL.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    good grief, the titles of these songs they sound like they were cooked up by a focus group "what would get a 50-something pop star back on the charts with today's youth?"
    I find it very amusing how 53-year old Madonna refers to herself as "girl" in both of the two latest singles.

Somebody's not dealing with aging very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainerb View Post
    I thought it debuted last week? If so it is already a flop as it didn't chart this last week.
    Oh give it time and wait for the official video to come out.

But it's true that it didn't make the Billboard 100 this weekend. :/

vCash
    It sounds....reductive!

Not sure about it really. I quite like the tune, but the lyrics are typical crap madonna rhymming about dancing on the floor. She often rhymes the same words together in her songs. As far as dance tracks (and "in da club" songs of which she's had many) go I loved celebration and this doesn't even come close to that song for me.

vCash
    Video's up.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYkwziTrv5o

It's great but I am really about it.

The gay fans will love it but it's very likely to alienate pretty much everybody else. Not a clever decision by any means, IMO.

vCash
    Oh FFS Madonna move on from your awful crazy sex stuff. It should have ended with Vogue. She should be doing the opposite of whatever crap Gaga is doing.

Why her album couldn't combine the best things out of "Like a Prayer" and "Ray of Light" is beyond me.

This album of hers is weak and pathetic. It doesn't out gaga Lady Gaga, it isn't even as trashy as a Kesha album and Britney Spears has her beaten when it comes to true dance music. What the hell is she trying to prove here.

vCash
    Not much of a song, is it?

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    oi...that video. A hot mess mish mash of looks from her creative apex (c. 1990), dancing that looks like Beyonce doing a Lady Gaga routine without the OTT costumes and sets, intersticed with images of Diana Aragon from GLEE playing with a commercial hairdryer (yes I know it's actually Madge). Add in a name check of a famous 1983 Cyndi Lauper song, a hook stolen from Gaga's "Judas" (which is a bad song anyway) and a bevy of nekkid bohunk gays who are kind enough not to point out the Liz Taylor-level hazy filters being used in this video....well, it's just not very good.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I agree - you sum it up quite well I think.

It is just so .... fluffy. Better than the first single but really it is just fluffy.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    umm she is a 53 year old pop star what are people expecting from her? LOL. Sometimes because of her age, it does seem a bit desperate but...if you think about it...she is doing what she has always done. madonna's formula really has not changed since 1984. People are just freaked out about it because she could be a grandma.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UGG View Post
    umm she is a 53 year old pop star what are people expecting from her? LOL. Sometimes because of her age, it does seem a bit desperate but...if you think about it...she is doing what she has always done. madonna's formula really has not changed since 1984. People are just freaked out about it because she could be a grandma.
    Our expectations have precedents because in the past she has done some really brillant stuff. This is a regression.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Blergh
    vCash

Exclamation

Not quite on topic but I think MDNA is seriously one of the best albums Madonna has produced. Although I'm a big Madonna fan, I was worried after that half-assed effort of "Give Me All Your Luvin'" but the rest of album is surprisingly content-filled with clever and pulsating production. It's quite a dark album and yet in true Madonna fashion, she's able to turn it into a celebration. I never thought Madonna could make an album that worked as a whole again after Music (much leas Ray of Light) despite having some great moments in her other albums post-Music. No, it's not Ray of Light but this album works and it's the surprisngly one of her best albums.

Back on point of the thread, I sort of think Girl Gone Wild is sort of an F-You to those who think Madonna needs to play a "good girl" (woman) role at her post-menopausal stage of her life and she talks about she's tried that (while being Ms. Ritchie) but she just can't do it. After the first listen, I brushed off this song but thanks to Ziggy, I gave it another chance and I'm surprised at the subtle clever production here. All the Lauper references and video referencing Madonna Erotica phase are just reminders that Madonna isn't trying to out-do Gaga or fit in with the new crowd. She's doing what she's always done and tellIng the haters she is what she always was and you're mad or uncomfortable? She doesn't give a... Is this song the best song on the album? Not even close, but it gets the message across of what the musical tone and attitude if MDNA is all about and I think it's a great dance track that will be a hit in the clubs.

Ziggy, I'm glad that Madonna chose to do the video this way. She's been heavily criticized during her marriage with Guy Ritchie that she turned her back on her gay fan base and tried to clean up her act for the more conservative mainstream of the 2000s. I think she's waking up to those criticisms and is going to show that she never left and still loves the gay club sub-culture she used to be known for championing in the 80s-90s.

Forbes wrote a good write-up about Madonna and sexuality at her age.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/meghanca...l-selling-sex/

Btw, Britney writing better dance tracks than Madonna? Ok...
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 03-28-2012 at 07:55 AM.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Back on point of the thread, I sort of think Girl Gone Wild is sort of an F-You to those who think Madonna needs to play a "good girl" (woman) role at her post-menopausal stage of her life and she talks about she's tried that (while being Ms. Ritchie) but she just can't do it.
    Hmmm no it is more a big F-You to good music.

vCash
    I don't know I just think it the whole thing sums up her ego pretty well. It's very self referential - the video that nods to Vogue, Erotica, Human Nature. She references her own lyrics throughout the video, she even has the gay men fawning over her in a sexual way in the end because, you know, it's all about her and she can obviously turn them gays

I don't care if she's over 50, but I just wonder what Lourdes thinks when she watches this video. The thought of your parents being sexual is usual beyond squicky for most people but for the majority we don't have to see our parents doing this sort of thing....maybe the fact there's so many filters used on the whole thing she can pretend it was someone else. Or maybe there's a boat load of brain bleach being delivered to the Ciccone residence.

vCash
    LOVING it!

The worst song on the album, IMHO, is that *blerg* with Nikki Minaj and MIA. Sorta glad that flopped.....

Best Madge album in ages, methinks.

Blergh
    vCash
    For those who listened to the album, what do you think should be the next single? I know "Turn Up the Radio" is being groomed to be her summer single, but I think "Superstar" has the makings of being a big radio hit, plus it's nice to hear Madonna being motherly and singing about her love for Lola. It's also the most "pop" out of her songs. Shame that "I F----- Up" won't see the light of day since it's so explicit because it's one of the best songs. I can see "I Don't Give A" being a great single. I'm addicted to "Gang Bang" because I like how raw and angry she is on that song and how it pokes fun of Guy Ritchie's violent aethetics to his films. "B-Day" song is so great because you never hear Madonna doing a garage band sound and it sounds like M.I.A and her had tons of fun doing that song. Plus, I sort of think it's a wink to those talking about her age and saying she's not aging gracefully. Right or wrong, she's getting older and is happy singing her songs.

If Madonna were to release a ballad as a single (when was the last time that happened? "Power of Goodbye" on Ray of Light?) it has to be "Falling Free". That song is gorgeous. Aussie Willy, I have a feeling you'd seriously enjoy that one because she goes away from her 80s style "thin" singing and her voice sounds full and authentic a la Ray of Light era.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 03-28-2012 at 08:19 PM.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast