House Bill 2598 would, among other things:
* Exempt doctors from malpractice suits for withholding information to prevent an abortion
* Eliminate tax credits for abortion providers
* Eliminate tax deductions for the purchase of abortion-related health insurance
* Require women be told about scientifically questionable link between abortion and breast cancer
* Require women to hear the fetal heartbeat before a procedure
The bill frees a doctor from a malpractice lawsuit if the woman claims the physician withheld information about birth defects in order to prevent an abortion. Also, a woman cannot sue for pregnancy-related health problems that result from medical information being withheld.
Another provision in the 69-page bill bans state employees from performing abortions. This would impact residents at the University of Kansas Medical Center, as they are the only state employees who perform abortions.