Fearless Musher
    vCash

Interview with Romain Haguenauer

At Annecy-Infosports website.

About ice dance in general and a little book he and his BF published in 2010. The ITW was made 3 weeks ago.
    "I missed the view and viewed the mist..." ©

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cholla View Post
    At Annecy-Infosports website.

About ice dance in general and a little book he and his BF published in 2010. The ITW was made 3 weeks ago.
    Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed reading that on my train journey this morning.. Very interesting his discussion regarding the Duschaneys
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

Just me
    vCash
    Thank you, I really enjoyed reading that.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    Thanks cholla, that was a great read.

vCash
    Thank you! I loved that interview. Not the least because it showcased "On the one hand, on the other hand... " aittitude that I can relate to so well. On the one hand, Ice Dance is fabulous technically these days, really never better. On the other hand, a certain degree of abandonement and creativity is lost. Is there a right attitude? Not really.
    Always a pleasure to read a detailed account of insider's feelings. And good luck to Zahorsky/Miart!
    improving my ballad- like lines

Fearless Musher
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    On the one hand, Ice Dance is fabulous technically these days, really never better. On the other hand, a certain degree of abandonement and creativity is lost. Is there a right attitude? Not really.
    It's my feeling too. I still enjoy a lot of things in ice dance, the incredible technical difficulty being one of them. But I can't help missing the artistry and all the emotion that was conveyed by programmes before. On one hand, ice dance now looks more "sporty" in the eye of the casual fan so it can appeal to some people who were shunning the discipline before. On the other, what was before a huge part of the game, the "show" as in off ice dance/theater/ballet, has become less important. I'm still a big fan of ice dance and I don't think the new system is killing it (although I miss the divas cause it was fun in a kind of way ). I just see the whole thing as being a (long lasting) phase where technicallity is more rewarded than the rest. It's a shame for artists at heart who ooze creativity and originality. It's a blessing for hard working technicians. I read everywhere that in ice dance, there is "dance" and that it's the most important thing blah blah, but there is ice too so it's not only about dancing and it has never been. It will always be difficult to find an ideal mixture of both, and what's ideal for some (skaters, coaches, choreographers and fans) isn't for others. Any sport which rankings and results depend on human judgement will always be subjected to preferences and biases. Figure skating in general and ice dance in particular are a good example of "no perfect solution/system can be found/founded".
    "I missed the view and viewed the mist..." ©

vCash
    Another interview with Romain Haguenauer: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Interesting paragraph about the lack of DIVAS in dance

vCash
    Great interviews, thanks a lot for sharing.

He's a really clever guy. I always liked his work and I appreciate him even more now.

Didn't know he was openly gay. Is his boyfriend the Alexandre Navarro who choreographed for Stephane Lambiel? He's incredibly handsome!

I wish the book they did together was available in English.

Quote Originally Posted by Romain Hagenauer
    Absolutely. These past years, couples who tried to be more innovative with intricate choreographies, I’m thinking of Crone & Poirier for instance, were not rewarded. The difficulty of the sequences in their programme was phenomenal. It was Christopher Dean’s work, in his own way, i.e. without pause, without logical or easy impetus. And they lost some of their elements qualities. When you have excellent skaters, you can always try, but it’s a risk. Today, even the very best don’t take this risk. I’m not saying it is easy. On the contrary, what they are doing is very difficult, but there is no risk taken in the interpretation. What is physically taxing, is the interpretation. I’m not talking of expression, but of interpreting new things, through new body movements.
    This makes me so angry...

If the judges started rewarded the complexity in program construction, we'd see a lot more of it.

But since they don't, why bother?

And this is how we end up with Morozov choreography.

Crone/Poirer not getting any recognition for their incredible Beatles FD was just .

I admit that Virtue/Moir and Davis/White are fantastic. Technically, what they manage to do is incredible. OK, it’s the North-American style, you like it or you don’t. Add to that they are North-Americans coached by Russians, and you can’t expect a contemporary, innovative approach (from them)…
    That's exactly how I feel as well.

Last summer we had Daisuke Takahashi. He is incredible ! He is exceptionally gifted. He had never practice dance off ice and we enlisted him in ballet, hip-hop sessions. You would have thought he had been dancing all his life. He has this innate musicality and he works relentlessly. To have him here was exceptionnal.
    Takahashi's musicality is just one in a million.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 06-08-2012 at 06:19 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Great interviews, thanks a lot for sharing.

He's a really clever guy. I always liked his work and I appreciate him even more now.

Didn't know he was openly gay. Is his boyfriend the Alexandre Navarro who choreographed for Stephane Lambiel? He's incredibly handsome!
    No, the choreographer who worked with Lambiel (as well as with several ice dancers and with Joubert and Abbott in 2010-11) is Antonio Najarro.

Very good interview, definitely - I'm not sure he always quite answered the questions, but the answers where interesting regardless. The one in Annecy Infosports is a great read, too.

The new generation of kids is more focused on immediate results than on creativity and being different. But this is a challenge I like in ice dancing, this difficult balance between technique and artistic impression.
    I think this is often true not just in ice dance, though one can argue that ice dance is hurt by it the most.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    No, the choreographer who worked with Lambiel (as well as with several ice dancers and with Joubert and Abbott in 2010-11) is Antonio Najarro.
    Ahh of course! Thanks.

vCash
    Wonderful interview!
    Full of interesting perspectives about the world of dance.