Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Canadian Curling 2013-2014

So Jennifer Jones cruised through the Olympic Trials and will now be representing Canada in Sochi. I absolutely despise the woman in just about every way possible. So I have no idea how I'm going to cheer on Canada in Sochi. I think I may end up cheering for Sweden or Switzerland instead. I just don't know if I can bring myself to support that horrible witch.

Johnny Mo gets the huge upset over his former skip. Jimmy Cotter finally showed what he is capable of today. Got some on the wrong side of the inch but came up huge for his skipper in the second half. I'd love to see this team in Sochi, I think they'd do very well. That being said, Brad Jacobs is having the best week of his life, even better than when he won the Brier. It's going to be supremely tough and hopefully a well curled final. I am okay with either in Sochi.

That being said, with the fields being what they are, especially the women, I think both Canadian teams are in tough to medal. Jennifer has a very uneven and unproven record in international play, yes she has a world title, but that was 5 years, they get into trouble and she makes stupid calls that end up costing her against teams that don't miss. Right now I think Great Britain and Sweden are the favorites followed by Switzerland, China and the USA and then Canada.

I think the men will end up on the podium but again, I think Sweden and Great Britain start as the favorites there along with Norway, and Switzerland is also rising fast having just won the men's European title.
    Kyle

vCash
    Brad Jacobs puts the pedal to the metal and really crushed Johnny Mo today, if they play like they did here in Winnipeg, it will be a gold medal for the boys, but they have to deal with the expectations and pressure now that comes along with that. They ran the table here and no ever team has done it. I hope they stay humble through this whole thing, though having Ryan Fry on the team, that may not happen...

Jennifer Jones has a ton of experience but she hasn't been to worlds in four years, the field has changed. Eve Muirhead and Margaretha Sigfriddsson are the class of the field. Mirjam Ott is a world champion as is Bingyu Wang. Erika Brown will be no pushover either. This is an extremely deep field and they will be in tough, can they win? they certainly can, but they also could miss the semis altogether. They have got to make sure they are focused from the first rock thrown to the last game.
    Kyle

vCash
    I'm happy that my favorite team is going to be representing Canada in the Men's division. Go Team Jacobs!!!! I met them at the Shorty Jenkins Spiel, and they're nice guys too.

I was disappointed in Homan's team. I thought they would do better, but they have seemed to be struggling this year. As much as I dislike Jones, I think her and her team are very good and will represent Canada very well.
    Addicted to FSU

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kylet3 View Post
    So Jennifer Jones cruised through the Olympic Trials and will now be representing Canada in Sochi. I absolutely despise the woman in just about every way possible. So I have no idea how I'm going to cheer on Canada in Sochi. I think I may end up cheering for Sweden or Switzerland instead. I just don't know if I can bring myself to support that horrible witch.
    Tell me about it. I also can't cheer for her or her team and that'll be a first w/me and anyone representing Canda at an Olympic Games of any kind. We're Scottish Canadian, so will more than likely cheer on Eve and her Girls.

Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    I'm happy that my favorite team is going to be representing Canada in the Men's division. Go Team Jacobs!!!! I met them at the Shorty Jenkins Spiel, and they're nice guys too.

I was disappointed in Homan's team. I thought they would do better, but they have seemed to be struggling this year. As much as I dislike Jones, I think her and her team are very good and will represent Canada very well.
    Allow me this moment....

THEY DID IT!! MY BOYS FROM THE SOO DID IT!! THEY'RE GOING TO SOCHI!!

. .

Only complaint is I got nailed w/food poisoning and after my morning in the bathroom, slept the afternoon away thanks to the Gravol and listening to my body, which means we missed it!!

Hopefully TSN will reshow it at some point. Regardless.... .

vCash
    Wow why is Jennifer Jones so unpopular? (I don't follow the sport at all)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    Wow why is Jennifer Jones so unpopular? (I don't follow the sport at all)
    I think a lot of it has to do with the attitude and how she replaces people on her rink. It's tactless and unfeeling, - thinking of how they replaced Cathy Overton Clapham (or is it the other way around?) The Jones rink replaced the original lead with Dawn Askins the same way, if I'm remembering right. And how did Jones replace them? Over the phone I think. Supposedly good friends and you ditch them that way. Gutless not to do it face to face.

And as my husband says it, Jones is alternately smug or frozen. When she's winning, she's smug and smiley, when she's losing, she's frozen. And nothing is ever her fault. I've heard her say, it's the ice, it's the pebble, it's something other than she made a mistake. She'll admit it eventually, but it's not the first thing that crosses her mind or her lips.

I would like to know how she gets a lock on every advertising campaign to do with curling? There are more women's rinks than her. Thinking of that scotty commercial that had her in it, even tho Holland and Nedohin had both been Scottie's champs. Now we have to suffer through that stupid insurance commercial with her in it. How does she get them? Argh.
    Gone crazy. Be back soon.

vCash
    The last chance qualification event for the 2014 Olympics starts Wednesday (2 teams will qualify)

MEN

Czech Republic (Skip: Jiří Snítil) - 2012 WCC 12th, 2013 WCC 8th
    Finland (Skip:Aku Kauste) - 2013 WCC 12th
    France (Skip: Thomas Dufour) - 2012 WCC 10th
    Germany (Skip: John Jahr) - 2012 WCC 11th
    Japan (Skip: Yusuke Morozumi) - 2013 WCC 11th
    New Zealand (Skip: Peter de Boer) - 2012 WCC 5th
    South Korea (Skip: Kim Soo-hyuk)
    United States (Skip: John Shuster) - 2012 WCC 8th, 2013 WCC 9th

WOMEN

China (Skip: Bingyu Wang) 2012 WCC 11th, 2013 WCC 9th
    Czech Republic (Skip: Anna Kubešková) 2012 WCC 12th
    Germany (Skip: Andrea Schöpp) 2012 WCC 7th, 2013 WCC 11th
    Japan (Skip: Ayumi Ogasawara) 2013 WCC 7th
    Italy (Skip: Veroncia Zappone) 2012 WCC 10th, 2013 WCC 10th
    Latvia (Skip: Iveta Staša-Šaršūne) 2013 WCC 12th
    Norway (Skip: Marianne Rørvik)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pat c View Post
    And as my husband says it, Jones is alternately smug or frozen. When she's winning, she's smug and smiley, when she's losing, she's frozen. And nothing is ever her fault. I've heard her say, it's the ice, it's the pebble, it's something other than she made a mistake. She'll admit it eventually, but it's not the first thing that crosses her mind or her lips.
    She's not the only one that does that...how many times have we heard someone say "the rock picked" even though it didn't seem to deviate from the path one bit.

I would like to know how she gets a lock on every advertising campaign to do with curling? There are more women's rinks than her. Thinking of that scotty commercial that had her in it, even tho Holland and Nedohin had both been Scottie's champs. Now we have to suffer through that stupid insurance commercial with her in it. How does she get them? Argh.
    The blonde mane?

She's a lawyer, so she seems to have good communications skills.

Well her commercials are bad, but the moving company one with Russ Howard that ran for at least 15 years was much worse (budget: $ 50) and the Randy Ferbey one that he did for the supplement company was awkward to say the least (Randy must have been in the tanning booth for a week straight).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave of the North View Post
    She's not the only one that does that...how many times have we heard someone say "the rock picked" even though it didn't seem to deviate from the path one bit.
    Oh I know. All of them are amazed when their rock doesn't do exactly what they think it should. My fav is always blame the sweepers. I feel sorry for them because you know that some of these rocks are so light that for the true amateur, we'd give it a kick as it wouldn't make the hog line.

Quote Originally Posted by don
    The blonde mane?

She's a lawyer, so she seems to have good communications skills.

Well her commercials are bad, but the moving company one with Russ Howard that ran for at least 15 years was much worse (budget: $ 50) and the Randy Ferbey one that he did for the supplement company was awkward to say the least (Randy must have been in the tanning booth for a week straight).
    We must have not been watching curling as I can't remember those commercials. But the media does seem to pick one spokesperson and proceed to drive you crazy with their ads.

Anyway, it is what it is. I hope Jones and all do well in Sochi. My only wish is that they shut up and smile. No whining.

vCash
    I think Jacobs will be fine in Sochi. They are going in as world silver medallists and have actually been better this year. They are not afraid of the big shots but I'm finding them more controlled this year and weighing more controlled options when picking their shots. There is a definite growth in strategy. They have more experience than the 2006 team (minus Howard) and that certainly worked out well

For the ladies, I think Great Britain and Sweden have to be the favourites. China has not played well in a couple of years and aren't even qualified at this point. They have to play the last chance qualifier. Switzerland should fare well as Ott has always been in the running for a medal. Jones will have to play well and accept potential not ideal conditions as her refusal to accept them and adapt to them in the past has been her undoing. She could win the darn thing or be out of the medals entirely. For the record I haven't felt our women's rep to be the best of the field since 2002. I think the rest of the world caught and passed us. That said, I always have full confidence in our men's teams because of what they have to do to get out of the country.

vCash
    I certainly agree with you minuet with regards to Team Jacobs......they are a force to be reckoned with and hopefully will achieve their potential in Sochi. I also think your right about Great Britain and Sweden. Jones could surprise though.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    As for Jones, she also went and had an affair with Brent Laing on Team Howard while BOTH were still married and then she had a child with him and Brent already had two children with his then wife. Being the corporate lawyer and then not accepting fault for things that are clearly her fault, and I've also heard some not so good off-ice stories with fans, it just makes it difficult to cheer for her. She needs to keep it simple when she doesn't have lost rock and not make stupid asinine decisions when she has a lead or hammer. They can easily win it or they could find themselves out of playoffs altogether.

People would do a disservice to Bingyu Wang by writing them off. I fully expect them to qualify and be a force again in Sochi. They made a grand slam final this season only losing to Muirhead and have done well on the spiel circuit.

Jacobs and the boys if they play together can win it all in Sochi, if they keep on this roll and learn to deal with the expectations then they will be fine in Sochi. They're incredibly strong and should be on the podium. I'd be shocked now if they weren't after the way they played this week.

I'm conflicted, I hope the women get a medal for Team Canada but this time, I'm not convinced it's going to happen. The men should be fine.
    Kyle

vCash
    I think a lot of it has to do with the attitude and how she replaces people on her rink. It's tactless and unfeeling, - thinking of how they replaced Cathy Overton Clapham (or is it the other way around?) The Jones rink replaced the original lead with Dawn Askins the same way, if I'm remembering right. And how did Jones replace them? Over the phone I think. Supposedly good friends and you ditch them that way. Gutless not to do it face to face.
    Not quite my recollection of events. Actually what I remember is that Cathy O was a temporary last-minute replacement when Jennifer's third (the first name Karen comes to mind), broke her ankle or leg or something. By the time the other lady was back on her feet the new arrangement had gelled and I didn't hear any squawking from Cathy about how unfair it was of her to usurp someone else's place when it was only a temporary injury. Now this part I am not as confident of but I thought they had a team face to face meeting with Cathy to tell her the other 3 had decided to part ways with her and that Cathy's big beef was that the other 3 had made the decision ahead of time and presented it to her as a fait accompli.

As for Dawn, again what I recall is that her lead had definitely retired first, (wasn't it Cathy Gauthier?), and that Jennifer found out Dawn was relocation to Winnipeg to be with her now-husband, Mike McEwan.

At any rate, though I have never had any personal contact with any of the team members and can't say if they are naughty or nice off the ice, I can say that I think they are very serious about the whole thing and train all aspects of the game, physical and mental. Hopefully that and the fact they do have international experience will help them be a good representative for Canada. This week I got the impression that they were much more prepared than they have been in the past and I hope it wasn't just a temporary thing.

So about the men - surprisingly I found the Ladies final to be more interesting than the Men - Morris really was not on his game at all in the final and the round robin and semi games for both teams seemed to be better played. Glad to see the "pick" problems that seemed to be causing trouble in the last round robin game between Martin and Morris didn't show up in the playoffs. It had me worried that it would be all decided on dirty ice. Seems it was the player(s) own brooms causing the problem. Just speculating here but the picks seemed to follow the Martin team around a bit and there was no real sign of any trouble like that for the ladies and the men's final.

vCash
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/curling/jon...apham-1.948919

I guess they did meet, not a phone call. (Must have been thinking of Kyoko Ino and Jason Dunjean.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennife...s_%28curler%29

I can't remember who it was.

I think Jones has been quite determined to make the olys and now she has. I think part of the negativity surrounding her has to do with how Canada views curling. Civil, mannerly, a polite competition. And to get out of Canada to curl internationally? It's tough.

vCash
    Scott Tournament of Hearts starts Saturday! Can Rachel Homan overcome the disappointment of the Trials and make it two in a row? Will Andrea Crawford make it 6 times a charm and come through for NB? Or will it be one of the strong western teams? And will anybody be watching it once the Olympics start???

vCash
    The Scotties ends the weekend the Olympics begins, so there isn't THAT much of an overlap... I will be watching, I expect there to be four favorites, and a couple of spoilers. Favorites are Team Canada, Alberta, Manitoba and Saskatchewan, with Nova Scotia and New Brunswick as the spoilers. There are a ton of new faces and inexperience here.

I think Homan starts the favorite, but she has GOT to be more consistent then she was in Winnipeg, or she will pay for it dearly. I would like to see them get back to the Worlds and win it all this year, that being said, Chelsea Carey and Val Sweeting are both on a roll recently and both played well at the trials. Val has got the best sweepers bar none in the country. Joanne Courtney is one of if not the best female sweeper I have ever seen. So if Val gets her shots consistent and gets hot, she could do VERY well here. Chelsea, has great potential and all the shots and now has the experience of the trials, I don't think she will be afraid. Stefanie Lawton is the most experienced, but if she starts the way she did at trials, it's going to be a long week, they've got to start it out a bit more on the defensive side of things, a bit simpler and then get going, she can win it. New Brunswick and Nova Scotia can also take advantage if any of those teams falter.

On a sad note, Kelly Scott's team has announced they are disbanding after their season. I am upset at this, these are the classiest ladies in the sport, and I hope it's not the end of Kelly, she is too talented and far too good a person not to be in the sport.
    Kyle

vCash
    Great shot by Heather Strong to win her game last night. In the first round NB took full advantage of Quebec's so-so play.

Side note about worlds her ein Saint John - my wife is volunteering at the event. And her cousin's daughter, who is a decent junior curler, is going to be spending a day with the Scottish team. She is hoping it's Muirhead, but I don't they are going to Worlds - does anyone know?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave of the North View Post
    Great shot by Heather Strong to win her game last night. In the first round NB took full advantage of Quebec's so-so play.

Side note about worlds her ein Saint John - my wife is volunteering at the event. And her cousin's daughter, who is a decent junior curler, is going to be spending a day with the Scottish team. She is hoping it's Muirhead, but I don't they are going to Worlds - does anyone know?
    Not sure about the world's team for Scotland. I know in 2002 it was 2 different teams because the Olympic team was made by an all-star pick and the worlds team had won their nationals but it's Muirhead's full team at the Olys...did they win nationals?

also hate to be nit-picky but Heather Strong is from NL not NB...have to go for my home team I was watching them practice in the past few weeks as they were training the same time our teacher league was playing and they look much better now than they did even only 3 weeks ago. We'll see what happens the rest of the week as they play tougher teams but to start 2-0 is great

vCash
    I knew there would be a curling thread I am watching the Scotties this morning, and the question popped into my head - because of the olympics Jones isn't there, does that mean going to Olys takes you out of the running to be Team Canada? It seems that way I just haven't been following for very many years and am unsure!

vCash
    Because of the schedule teams going to the Olys cannot go to the Scotties or Brier. For the Scotties the date actually overlaps with the Olympics. For the the Brier, the provincial playdowns overlap. There was discussion before the trials of what would happen if Team Homan won the trials and it was said that Team Jones would then become team Canada at the Scotties for being runner-up.

Back in 1998, Team Schmirler were able to attend both because the schedule allowed it and they were Team Canada so did not have to do provincials. They admitted though to being completely exhausted and running on fumes. They lost in the semis to Kathy Borst.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast