Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

JGP Lake Placid, Labor Day Weekend 2012

Happy just now to learn that the US Junior Grand Prix event will be in Lake Placid again this year from 29 August to 2 September. I hope to go, and to encourage all you fans to go. I went to the JGP event there a few years ago, and it was a delightful experience. The ticket was almost free (all events $25 I think), the competition thrilling, and the setting serene. Saw Ross Miner and the Shibs, among many others. Oh, the scary junior pairs!! Not many fans were there, but I had a ball hanging out with Ann and Euterpe. I stayed at Art Devlins which was inexpensive, well located, and perfectly nice. I know Lake Placid is a hike for some people but it's worth the trip. See you there?

vCash
    I'm going and bringing a whole posse. In addition, they do not care if you brought an eight course buffet into the arena for the JGP, which is different from my experience at SA. Stayed at the hotel immediately across the street from the arena which was so convenient. Just park your car and walk everywhere else.

vCash
    Bump...

Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    From this article on Vasilisa Davankova/Andrei Deputat
    Davankova and Deputat will debut on the Junior Grand Prix circuit this fall and they plan to attend the events in Lake Placid, New York and Zagreb, Croatia.
    If they [Davankova/Deputat] do go to Lake Placid...it isn't THAT far from NYC....
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    I might try to get up there as well (I'm also from NYC). Do you know how to get up there without the use of a car?
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    It would be cool to meet up with a bunch of FSU people and cheer.

vCash
    Is there a way of traveling to Lake Placid from NYC that does not involve a car (I can drive, but I'd rather not rent a car)?

vCash
    Is there a way of traveling to Lake Placid from NYC that does not involve a car (I can drive, but I'd rather not rent a car)?
    Just looked it up
    Apparently there is a bus that leaves from Port Authority

vCash
    A friend of mine and I are going. We are both very excited.

If skaters already know they're going to be there, I assume there's been an official listing. Does anyone know where to find it?

vCash
    Do you mean an official roster?

From the 2012-13 JGP Announcement:
    b) Entries by Names (Competitors and Judges)
    Entries by names of Competitors and Judges must be made through the Members simultaneously to the Organizing Committees concerned, the ISU Secretariat, the Chair of the Sports Directorate and the ISU Event Coordinator not less than 31 days before the first draw of the respective individual event.
    USFS probably won't announce anything publicly about their Lake Placid JGP entries for a while yet - there's a U.S. JGP Assignment Predictions/Speculation/Discussion thread in the Trash Can: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=83809
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    You can also take Amtrak to Westport and there's a shuttle bus to take you to Lake Placid. I have no idea if this is faster or slower than going straight by bus, though.

vCash
    I'm thinking of going as well (my last trip from NYC to Lake Placid was for the 1980 Olympics--gulp!) I checked the bus situation and it looks like there is only one bus per day each way from NYC Port Authority Bus Terminal and back, and, unless my eyes deceived me, the trip takes 9 hours!! That's got to be tons of stops along the way. I took the bus up there from NYC in 1980 and all I can remember about the bus ride is it was looong.

Amtrak from NY Penn Station to Westport is 6-7 hours, depending upon the direction, and then a 45 minute shuttle bus ride between Westport and Lake Placid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    Just looked it up
    Apparently there is a bus that leaves from Port Authority
    Yes, that's what I took from NYC for 2009 Skate America. IIRC I left at 8-8:30 for Albany and took a connecting bus around 1pm which got me there around 5:30...yeah, it's a long trip unfortunately. Also you may have to stay an extra night due to the returning bus schedules. It's not fun, but it's doable (and if I can survive Philly-Montreal with customs/border added, this is much easier in comparison!)

vCash
    I think I'll wait and see who else besides Davankova and Deputat are going to be there before I make any plans. I don't know if I can handle 18+ hours of travel.

vCash
    I'd like to go but I'd like to see the schedule first. I can't really afford to take time off of work but, if the schedule is good, I could go for Saturday and Sunday.

vCash
    I'll be driving up from NJ with a friend. I'll be staying at Art Devlin's also.

vCash
    I'll be driving from Montreal..can't wait.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    You can also take Amtrak to Westport and there's a shuttle bus to take you to Lake Placid. I have no idea if this is faster or slower than going straight by bus, though.
    Thanks for this info!

It's very up in the air, as I just graduated and I am job hunting. I would like to see the roster too. Still, I hope I can make it.

Banned Member
    vCash
    I've been to a JGP in LP.Honestly hardly anyone shows up. You have to be a bigtime fan to show up for this.

vCash
    Well, we're posting on a figure skating message board, so big time fan covers most of us

There is no GP near me; and I always enjoy watching up and coming skaters.

Title-less
    vCash
    If I figure out an easy way to get to Lake Placid I'll go, but I'm not sure there is one.

vCash
    Glad there's a bit of buzz about this. I honestly don't know why more fans don't go. It's cheap and very exciting. You see tons of new faces--many that you might never see again. There are some wild costume choices, sometimes a splatfest. I remember one lanky unfortunate young man in an all-over green onesie who looked exactly like Gumby. From across the rink i observed the moment when the Shibutanis were introduced to the Protopopovs. It was an enormously fun event last time--see you there, Euterpe!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast