Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

vCash
    Omigosh - thank you for this thread! What a great trip down memory lane!

This was the first Worlds I ever went to as a kid and I was absolutely awe-struck!

Torvill and Dean! And Underhill and Martini winning the gold - and back then in the arena we only found out that they won when someone at the end of the arena saw them putting the Canadian flag in the gold medal spot.

And Brian Orser was absolutely wonderful as well.

I remember finding most of the women dull except for Liz Manley and mostly Midori Ito! I absolutely adored her and found both of them a breath a fresh air with the energy they brought. I did admire Katarina Witt - but I didn't enjoy her as much.

One crazy thing for me was I snuck down into the first row to see Wilson and McCall for their freeskate and to give them flowers. I have no idea who the group were sitting there - but when I asked if I could sit in the empty seat the man asked me first who I was there to see. When I said Wilson and McCall - he said then yes - I could sit there.
    At the end of W and M freeskate - the man and the whole row of people next to him held up cards with 6.0 on them. And I ended up in newspapers all over the place because I was right beside them!

What a great first Worlds experience that was.

vCash
    Thanks for sharing!
    You were fortunate to be there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    Also of note - 2 time world medallist Norbert Schramm withdrew before the competition began - it was his last competition.
    He withdrew during (and I mean smack in the middle of) a compulsory figure. It was quite a story at the time. I recently saw Norbert -- he has remarried, moved to NYC and has a career as a photographer. Very interesting and charming guy.
    Last edited by nylynnr; 03-16-2012 at 05:22 PM.

vCash
    Wasn't Schramm a judge at one point? I remember him giving Kerrigan lower marks than Oksana Baiul at the 94 Olympics. He said Nancy wasn't as graceful. Schramm was right, but who was he to talk? The most awkward looking skater ever.

vCash
    You are thinking of Jan Hoffman, who judged at the Olympics in 1994

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Fever View Post
    Wasn't Schramm a judge at one point? I remember him giving Kerrigan lower marks than Oksana Baiul at the 94 Olympics. He said Nancy wasn't as graceful. Schramm was right, but who was he to talk? The most awkward looking skater ever.
    The judge was 2 time world champion (1974, 1980) and Olympic silver medalist Jan Hoffmann.

vCash
    Jan Hoffmann gave Baiul the nod in Lillehammer, in the company of other judges. I don't recall him commenting on Nancy's grace. He did say he felt Oksana's presentation was more from the heart. He was likely more qualified than most judges, being a past world champion and Olympic medalist. Judges are not necessarily all elegant past champions, some never competed.

As for Schramm, I don't know if I would call him awkward. Guess that is debatable. He had kind of an avant-garde style.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nylynnr View Post
    Jan Hoffmann gave Baiul the nod in Lillehammer, in the company of other judges. I don't recall him commenting on Nancy's grace. He did say he felt Oksana's presentation was more from the heart. He was likely more qualified than most judges, being a past world champion and Olympic medalist. Judges are not necessarily all elegant past champions, some never competed.

As for Schramm, I don't know if I would call him awkward. Guess that is debatable. He had kind of an avant-garde style.
    Wasn't Jan himself often marked down due to HIS perceived lack of artistry and presentation?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eurodance2001 View Post
    Wasn't Jan himself often marked down due to HIS perceived lack of artistry and presentation?
    He was not artistic skater and his "second mark" was certainly lower than Cousins' in Lake Placid. Still, he did well enough in his career to win two world titles and, I think, four Europeans. He defeated skaters like Curry, Cranston and Cousins at various times. So some judges, perhaps those from Soviet Union, East Germany, and other eastern European countries, might not have marked him down much.

If your point is that he was awkward, then yes, when he wasn't landing jumps (including triple Lutz, which others did not do) he could be called awkward. He certainly was not a terrific spinner.

vCash
    You guys are right. I'm thinking of Jan Hoffman. I've got my Germans mixed up.

vCash
    .........I don't recall him commenting on Nancy's grace. He did say he felt Oksana's presentation was more from the heart..........
    Okay. I was paraphrasing.

.........Judges are not necessarily all elegant past champions, some never competed.........
    Ya think?

.........As for Schramm, I don't know if I would call him awkward. Guess that is debatable. He had kind of an avant-garde style........
    No, not avant-garde. Awkward.

vCash
    Ya think?
    Sometimes.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Maybe he just liked the Broadway music Oksana used, which was like the music of his female training partners, Anett Poetzsch and Katarina Witt.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123