vCash

Circular Step Sequences for Ladies?

Hi all,
    I don't follow the level rules too closely and was wondering if the requirements for level 3 and 4 calls have put circular step sequences for ladies into hibernation. Does anyone have recent examples of top ladies performing one?
    Thank you!

vCash
    I think Czisny's step sequences this year are both circular....

Also, Mirai's Pirates of the Caribbean SP had one.

vCash
    Were circular steps ever really that popular to begin with? Straight lines have always been more common IME. I will say that doing turns in both directions, as is required for levels, is harder when you're going in a circle than if you're going in a straight line.

vCash
    Julia Lipnitskaya does one in her FS this season.

vCash
    Since men do two step sequences in their long programs (and used to do two in the short), it was much more common to see them do a circular sequence as one of the two. Now that serpentine is practically nonexistent or pretty much the same thing as "straight line," they basically all do one sequence end to end and one circular.

Ladies only have to do one step sequence because they had to do spirals. So they usually only chose circular if that's what fit the program best -- in both judging systems.

vCash
    There are a few, but not many:

Carolina Kostner 2012 Euros SP
    CiSt3 with GOE of +0.73

Alissa Czisny 2011 Skate America FS
    CiSt3 with GOE of +0.71

Now, serpentine step sequences of any kind, by man or woman, at any level of skating, have become extremely rare. And I miss them.

vCash
    From Dick Button's commentary, he always said that the circular step sequence was always hardest compared to the straight line and serpentine step sequence. Most skaters probably get lost in the multiple twizzles that they try to squeeze into their step sequences in order to get levels for COP. Doing twizzles in a circular formation must be incredibly dizzy!

As previously stated, one of my favorite step sequences was Mirai's Pirates SP. She also started this season with a lovely circular step sequence in her Danzarin SP. She had it in Glaciers Falls but changed it to straight line in subsequent competitions. I wish she hadn't though. It was lovely to begin with.

With that said, straight line sequences are "easier" to choreograph. Pose at the beginning, start the steps, and end with a combination spin or another pose i.e. Yuna Kim James Bond SP or Alena Leonova's Pirate's SP.

Just wondering, has there ever been a level 4 circular step sequence? From my recollection, they've all been straight line sequences.

Maybe the levels should be rewritten for circular step sequences so we limit the Morozovesque choreography we see nowadays... Circular step seqeunces were always lovely though...

vCash
    Mao Asada's World Team Trophy 2009 SP "Clair de Lune". CIST Level 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRM4Qj2u_jo

Then can we say this is the only CIST by ladies so far that received Level 4? I didn't know that.

However, the most memorable about this SP was not the steps. The first 3A-2T in SP by a woman ( in ISU competitions) was attempted and succeeded in the SP. Look at the nervous look on her face before she went for it.
    Last edited by galaxy; 03-05-2012 at 08:21 AM.

vCash
    Speaking of serpentines, Lambiel was credited with a SeSt4 at the 2010 Olympics for the serpentine steps he did in his FS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyD41_ZIp7c

Also this is from the earlier days of the IJS when steps were a bit simpler, but I always thought the back-to-back SlSt and SeSt in this program were really cool:
    Lambiel 2005 SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfjxW...ure=plpp_video

vCash
    I love that step sequence of Kostner's. I could not picture that program without it and the music deserved to be given one.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxy View Post
    Mao Asada's World Team Trophy 2009 SP "Clair de Lune". CIST Level 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRM4Qj2u_jo

Then can we say this is the only CIST by ladies so far that received Level 4? I didn't know that.
    No, it's not. Carolina Kostner got level 4 for her circular steps in the SP at 2010 Worlds, and possibly elsewhere (I'm too lazy to check ). I can't back it up, but I suspect Kostner has received more level 4s for her step sequences than any other lady.
    Last edited by Zemgirl; 03-05-2012 at 10:06 AM.

vCash
    It's my understanding that the shape identification of footwork may be dropped in the rule updates. In other words, no "straight line," "circular" or "serpentine" calls, just footwork levels. This would be great because, with all the COP demands, the shape is rarely the true shape it's called. e.g., straight line almost always has serpentine lines and tracks back at the end.
    Plus imagine all the shapes that could be created!
    So we may, in fact, get to see better shaped footwork.