Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nlyoung View Post
    Emmanuel Sandhu had an awesome exhibition to Hip Hop music a few years back.

Ohhhhhhh. I did adore that.

vCash
    Hip hop, really? It's like the ISU is trying to make people hate the SD even more than we already do. It should make for some entertaining JGP performances, though.

I'm totally thrilled with the Finnstep being the SD for the Olympics though. I really love that one, and with the twizzles and other elements that it includes, it will probably make the SD look more like an OD than any of the other dances would have. That should make some of the program flow a little better.

vCash
    Not SD related, but from that article,
    On the free dance front, the small transitional ("highlight") lift has been eliminated, but the final highlight lift will now have a base value.
    So it's been eliminated, but not?

vCash
    I can't stand hip-hop, and it's even worse on the ice. Takahashi included.

But Finnstep at the Olympics - I can live with that

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    This is perfect news.

Hiphop, swing and blues for juniors next season?

And Yankee Polka for seniors AND then Finnstep for the Olympic season? Absolutely perfect.

The only was the part about waltz going together with Yankee Polka. I pray most teams will just stick with the polka.
    It depends which polka-the polka from Der Fledermaus works very well with a waltz. It's the "Memories of a Grand Ball" theme, which produced one of my very favorite ever OD's, including Denkova & Staviyski's Baroque Grand Ball program, and YMMV, but I love Winkler & Lohse's Grand Ball OD, which included a polka sequence.

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan04 View Post
    Hip hop, really? It's like the ISU is trying to make people hate the SD even more than we already do. It should make for some entertaining JGP performances, though.

I'm totally thrilled with the Finnstep being the SD for the Olympics though. I really love that one, and with the twizzles and other elements that it includes, it will probably make the SD look more like an OD than any of the other dances would have. That should make some of the program flow a little better.
    Umm-a Finnstep is one of the most watched skating youtube videos of all time (currently over 1.5 million page views!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rwAgMg09v8

Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    Not SD related, but from that article,

So it's been eliminated, but not?
    That will be interesting-the final lift will be scored--skaters better not mess it up then, and better save some energy for the very end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rosetintmyworld View Post
    Who could ever forget this...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYlc_Or6vgg
    Actually I hated that dance - they were standing on the same place the whole time hardly moving or gliding at all (and imho their skating and ice coverage was normally very good). It gives too much space for posing/making faces and not skating. IMHO it will look good on the cameras only while those who sit high or behind the judges will suffer.

Love the seniors SD rhythms!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan04 View Post
    Ugh, hip hop will be dreadful! But yeah, it will most likely take on a "so bad it's amazing" quality.

((Swedish skating dudes))
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Waltz is an option next year again? Hopefully the dances will evoke the "Memories of a Grand Ball" OD from 2003, which I loved (I know that's an unpopular opinion).
    DenSta's OD from that year is one of my favourite ODs ever.

Yankee Polka... I, errr...Well, I'm glad the Finnstep will be used from the Oly season?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Although how do they handle the use of the word "pussy" in a hip hop song?
    They don't seem to have a problem with crotch lifts, so I think they'll be fine with this.

being infected by Radionova's obvious joy for skating
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Umm-a Finnstep is one of the most watched skating youtube videos of all time (currently over 1.5 million page views!

Ah PML, I had already forgotten about that. The memories.
    Rockin' Finnish commentator: "And that was supposed to be a flip but it turned out to be a flop."

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post

I think that was by far the most entertaining CD event ever. We had Boobleva, Domnina/Shabalin falling, the Greeks skipping parts of the pattern because it was too difficult (but still beating 2nd Azeris ) and Bourzat snarking afterwards that the dance didn't require deep edges.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    The Euros CD was !! for sure.

I am so glad we are going to see the Finnstep again
    All that quickstep bouncing is sure to produce more costume failure drama.

Beside, I loved R&K, and seeing the Finnstep scheduled always reminds me to go back and watch their Borsalino OD, from which the Finnstep was derived.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ieH0uk-cks

And it will be interesting as heck to see what the ISU picks for the key points. Will the tech panel need super slo mo instead of regular slo mo to watch?

vCash
    Wow, two of my favorites! Yankee Polka -- Shibs will OWN it! -- then the Finnstep for the Olympic year. Oh, yeahhhhh!!!!! Love the bouncing on toepicks!
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    The Juniors can include Hip Hop in their SD's as indicated in the IceNetwork article below. The skaters have to check the lyrics for obscenities...can't wait for that!

For the Seniors, the Yankee Polka can be combined with any style of Polka, March or Waltz rhythm

The 2013/2014 senior dance is the Finnstep.

http://www.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Why do you think an effort to get a younger audience is focused on the Juniors? Other than those that are already fans, who is going to pay any attention? I know that many of the posters here do not think it is important to try to "market" to new fans, but the ISU is at least aware that it is vital to the sport.

Now, I like the Yankee Polka and I love a good waltz, but we had waltz combinations in last season's SD and IIRC the Golden CD the season before. I would have liked to see something for the Senior SD that could pull in younger audiences (and I daresay that neither the concept nor the music selections for the Yankee will do it ) and then move to the demanding Yankee or Finnstep for the Olympic year.

I will be watching the Juniors next season in hopes of seeing some fun swing and great blues programs and out of curiosity to see who is willing to include hip hop and can do it well.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Wow, two of my favorites! Yankee Polka Oh, yeahhhhh!!!!! Love the bouncing on toepicks!
    And do you think they will resurface the ice more frequently?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Conga View Post
    And do you think they will resurface the ice more frequently?
    They'll have to plug-in the holes and ruts, for sure. I really enjoyed watching the Finnstep at Euros a couple of seasons ago. It would be wonderful of Rahkamo/Kokko may be present in Sochi, to witness their dance at an Olympics. What a turn of luck! I remember when R/K were asked to change their Polka OD (or OSP) during the 1991/92 Olympic season, because it was considered to be too risque.

As for Hip-hop....all I can say is: That theme kills beauty and glamour. They'll just wear dirty street clothes. 'Nuff said.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    As for Hip-hop....all I can say is: That theme kills beauty and glamour. They'll just wear dirty street clothes. 'Nuff said.
    Well, I doubt that the "dirty street clothes" will be without sparkle But isn't that part of the problem with all these mashups of rhythm? How does one design a polka costume that works with a waltz? And although I vote for a single rhythm, I think maintaining a polka for the full SD would be quite a feat for most teams and we won't see it often.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    I think that was by far the most entertaining CD event ever. We had Boobleva, Domnina/Shabalin falling, the Greeks skipping parts of the pattern because it was too difficult (but still beating 2nd Azeris ) and Bourzat snarking afterwards that the dance didn't require deep edges.
    I remember speaking to the guy from the second AZE couple soon after this event. He told me they'd learned the CD from videos, and when they got to Euros and saw the others in practice sessions, realized they were doing it wrong. So they had to relearn the dance on the practice ice at the event itself.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    They'll have to plug-in the holes and ruts, for sure. I really enjoyed watching the Finnstep at Euros a couple of seasons ago. It would be wonderful of Rahkamo/Kokko may be present in Sochi, to witness their dance at an Olympics. What a turn of luck! I remember when R/K were asked to change their Polka OD (or OSP) during the 1991/92 Olympic season, because it was considered to be too risque.

Hip hop dancers' clothes are as clean as anyone's.

vCash
    Speaking of hip hop dances, I'm surprised no one mentioned this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKLytqEmFMk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast