Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Add me to the list of those who want to see Louis' pictures.

We've got the responsibility of selling my MIL's mid-century-modern house in LA, and so after years of living in a Victorian, I'm suddenly enmeshed in learning about how you go about decorating a m-c-m, which is a very different beast.

vCash
    Thanks everyone.

I would have never made the connection with the crown moldings and darker colors but now that it has been mentioned, I can see why that would work better. It would make the wall color more of an accent rather than a mainstay of the room. I do have higher ceilings but no moldings. And I have transitional furniture and black/brown modern art. One of the things about my current yellowy beige wall color that bugs me is that the art fades away into the walls. So there goes Downing Sand – which is probably too dark and greenish. I am now looking more at a lighter griege: Accessible Beige by SW. I am generally not a fan of grey tones but it reads more neutral to my eyes than the batch of beiges that are common in the BM/SW/Behr book. And it may be a better bridge color.

FWIW, I was less anal about the dark yellows I picked for my bedroom. Neutrals are actually much harder because none of them are really neutral, and they can go pink or green on you in different lighting. And if you get it wrong, it is really wrong!
    What would Jenny do?

Tinami 2012
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I
    Well, that and that Mini Ice wants to pain his room teal (in honor of the San Jose Sharks) but has settled for their poster. I don't think I can deal with teal.
    I painted the walls and the ceiling of my half bath Benjamin Moore Caribbean Blue Water and I love it. We have white subway tile halfway up the wall, so the effect of the blue is striking. A bright blue could work if he has lots of white or birch furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    Lime Green is a very "of the moment" paint color, and looks very current in the types of modern settings you mentioned.
    Benjamin Moore New Lime! With the light in my apartment, various people have tried to convince me it's yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Neutrals are actually much harder because none of them are really neutral, and they can go pink or green on you in different lighting. And if you get it wrong, it is really wrong!
    Agreed! Every room in my dad's house looks like some shade of pale pink. Except the hallway, which came out as canary yellow. Every one of these colors was allegedly a neutral. And allegedly some type of beige.

Ironically, given all of the unintentional pink, when he went to pick a color for my niece's room, the intentional pink came out orange.

vCash
    Hey Snoopy -- If you happen to be doing a white ceiling -- especially if the ceiling is already white -- Home Depot sells a ceiling paint that goes on pink and dries nice and white -- but the pink makes it much, much easier to see what you have or haven't yet painted. Given the roller on a long stick we used on the ceiling, it made things much easier (and more even) than in the prior room where I hadn't used it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I can't wait for Louis' house pics! That's all I have to say.

Well, that and that Mini Ice wants to pain his room teal (in honor of the San Jose Sharks) but has settled for their poster. I don't think I can deal with teal.
    I too am waiting for pictures of Louis' apartment to see what all the renos have resulted in.

and I painted our bathroom a tealish color, but it's broken up well with the big white bathtub and stuff.

vCash
    I'm hoping Louis will have a party and invite FSU.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Benjamin Moore New Lime! With the light in my apartment, various people have tried to convince me it's yellow.
    Ooh, even better! I love those chartreuse colors that look green/yellow!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12