Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Five of the Worst Public Marriage Proposals

These are all both cringe-worthy and extremely funny:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...iage-proposals

Prick Admin
    vCash
    There should be a ban on proposing marriage in public.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    There should be a ban on proposing marriage in public.
    Totally.

My husband and I had a practical "time to get married" discussion, had an appointment at the church and bought the ring together, but he still wanted to propose formally. Then he asked me if there was anything I wanted him to do in that. Answer: "Whatever you want when we are ALONE". An answer that he was quite relieved about!

vCash
    OW!

the first clip is so brutal. but you know, from the moment the girl cringes in embarrassment and shock, that is all about to go wrong.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I think at least one of those, maybe 2, have been proven to be staged.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    The first one was pathetic and he was looking for attention. "We met in front of this Cinnabon." He gets down on his knee TWICE because the person in the wheelchair didn't the see first time and no one had their cell phones out. I don't blame her for leaving, he went too far.

I met my future husband at a fast-food place, but he didn't even consider giving me a ring and crown, lol. I would have walked out.

Yet, I've witnessed a few simple, well-done public proposals and they were short and sweet. I think it's cute and does not "need to be banned." Is it tacky and attention-seeking? Maybe. I know one woman who is a skating director and her boyfriend proposed at the end of the rink's annual skating show. Everyone knew both of them and skating is her life, so it was sweet.

People do far worse things in public these days than asking someone to marry them.

vCash
    There was a proposal on an episode of Ellen that went bad. The guy had written in that his girlfriend would be in the audience and Ellen brought him there to propose. When he got down on one knee, the girl started crying, at first everyone thought she was touched, but after a few seconds everyone realized she wasn't going to accept him. They then rushed him out of the studio and went to the closing. However, they obviously didn't cut it from the show that aired, poor guy. It was probably traumatic for her as well, and will be aired in repeats.

vCash
    Did John & Rena make this list?
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    There was a proposal on an episode of Ellen that went bad. The guy had written in that his girlfriend would be in the audience and Ellen brought him there to propose. When he got down on one knee, the girl started crying, at first everyone thought she was touched, but after a few seconds everyone realized she wasn't going to accept him. They then rushed him out of the studio and went to the closing. However, they obviously didn't cut it from the show that aired, poor guy. It was probably traumatic for her as well, and will be aired in repeats.
    Not real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-emdtEFCnxY
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    And then there is this fake marriage proposal done as a prank.

The revenge prank is even better.

vCash
    I didn't watch any of the clips because I absolutel HATE any & all public proposals. They are all gag-me-now moments AFAIC. First of all, I doubt that any proposal is completely out of the blue. Once people say I love you, marriage could be on the table at some point so a proposal is not going to be a complete surprise. Second, what for most people is a private moment now becomes a public affair with spectators & critiquers. Third, it puts the woman on the spot, even if she eventually wants to marry him, just not right now. I've never seen one that didn't make me think the guy was an attention whore.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    Did John & Rena make this list?
    Definitely should have. She looked so uncomfortable with that whole thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    First of all, I doubt that any proposal is completely out of the blue. Once people say I love you, marriage could be on the table at some point so a proposal is not going to be a complete surprise.
    This. I always wonder why the women sometimes seem so surprised and begin crying and shaking. Was this never discussed? If so, best of luck. My bf and I have been discussing marriage in some way or another for years before we finally said "ok, let's do this and pick a date." There was no proposal or anything needed, it would have seemed ridiculous, to be honest. Why ask someone a question you already know the answer to? On the other hand, why ask someone to marry you (in such an official way) when it has never been brought up before? I think marriage proposals are just a commercial gimmick and a romantic notion.
    -Brian

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    This. I always wonder why the women sometimes seem so surprised and begin crying and shaking. Was this never discussed? If so, best of luck.
    Well, there are proposals which aren't expected; my dad proposed so quickly, my mother certainly didn't see it coming. They're going to celebrate their 31st anniversary this October. And while a friend of mine wanted to get married and her boyfriend knew, the proposal wasn't expected when it came due to the circumstances of their relationship. He wasn't sure at all whether he wanted to commit to marriage or not.
    From what she told me, my jazz teacher also didn't see the proposal coming.

Since marriage hasn't the status it used to have, I don't think that being in love and moving in with each other and planning to spend the rest of your life with someone must mean there's a proposal in the near future. All of it, plus starting a family, can be done without marriage.

vCash
    True....but I wouldn't think it would be a complete shock either.

I always think about the scene in Working Girl where Alex Baldwin asks Melanie Griffin to marry him in front of all their friends. Are any guys really that clueless? She comes home & finds him screwing someone in their bed & next time she sees him he proposes. And then he's offended when she says no. (BTW I loved that she said no. )

vCash
    Once people say I love you, marriage could be on the table at some point so a proposal is not going to be a complete surprise.
    Really? I think lots of people say I love you when they haven't even thought of marriage.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I didn't watch any of the clips because I absolutel HATE any & all public proposals. They are all gag-me-now moments AFAIC. First of all, I doubt that any proposal is completely out of the blue. Once people say I love you, marriage could be on the table at some point so a proposal is not going to be a complete surprise. Second, what for most people is a private moment now becomes a public affair with spectators & critiquers. Third, it puts the woman on the spot, even if she eventually wants to marry him, just not right now. I've never seen one that didn't make me think the guy was an attention whore.
    I always wonder if the guy thinks she is likely to say no, but won't do it in front of a crowd.

But there are women who would love all that attention, too, so maybe some of those guys just know their women.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Oh well, I guess there isn't enough real life to go around. We have to manufacture news and "reality tv" ? I didn't think it was particularly funny or remarkable, just uncomfortable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Really? I think lots of people say I love you when they haven't even thought of marriage.
    Post-coital doesn't count.

vCash
    Post-coital doesn't count.
    I would expect pre-coital i love you's are higher in number than post. At least from men

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast