View Poll Results: Who will do better next season?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nathan Chen

37 72.55%
  • Nam Nguyen

14 27.45%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Nathan has that magical extra "something" that all competitors hope for; and few actually possess.
    His performances shine; and audiences and judges alike look forward to what he will do next.

That quality, combined with his strong work ethic; and great support/coaching bodes well for him.

vCash
    Nathan Chen and Shoma Uno both have more of an "it" factor and better skating skills than Nam Nguyen. In addition, Chen has the best jump technique out of the three (Shoma has such distractingly bad techniques on his toe jumps!). I think to keep abreast with Nathan Chen, the other two both have to change their coaching situations.

Why do talented Japanese skaters keep on going to Machiko Yamada? Yukari Nakano, despite being a really lovely and talented skater, could never overcome the wrap that she learned under Yamada, and which ultimately limited her competitive success. Mao's flutz, toe-axel, weak 3S, unorthodox 3F entry, and other jump woes, originated with Yamda as well. Kanako Murakami also developed that broken-legged mule kick on her toe jumps that Shoma Uno is also saddled with, not to mention the dreaded flutz. I mean, to the untrained eye (of the parents and young skaters), I'm sure they see the allure of Yamada's having former skaters with obvious competitive success, and not so much the technical shortcomings.

I guess the same could be said of McLeod... sadly.

vCash
    Nathan Chen is a child prodigy. Nam and Shoma are certainly very talented, but I'd say Nathan is in a league of his own right now. His jump technique, spins, and intricate footwork are all good coming from a 75 pound 12 year old boy. Of course, it doesn't mean that Nam and Shoma can't catch up in the future or that Nathan could struggle down the line, but I expect Nathan to be a force in the future and trust Raphael to do a good job with him.

vCash
    As long as Nam is coached by MacLeod with her quirky choreography and costume choices, Chen will have an advantage.

vCash
    For some reason the poll doesn't work for me. Can't even see the results. Who's winning?

vCash
    Nathan Chen has 30 votes, Nguyen 14.

I watched a Salt Lake City local TV news report recently that featured Chen's coach, Genia Chernyshova, being shown working with a young girl on edge and turn exercises. I think Chernyshova should receive a LOT of credit for teaching Chen the basics so well.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-03-2012 at 03:12 AM.

vCash
    Thanks Sylvia! Make that 31 for Chen with my vote, even tho' the poll is not accepting it for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Nathan has that magical extra "something" that all competitors hope for; and few actually possess.
    His performances shine; and audiences and judges alike look forward to what he will do next.

That quality, combined with his strong work ethic; and great support/coaching bodes well for him.
    ITA!

vCash
    Did people watch Chen's EX at the Nationals Skating Spectacular? He skated to "Stereo Hearts" and had all these fun hip hop dance moves in the program, it was really impressive and he seemed really comfortable out there. In addition to being completely adorable, he totally sold the program well and felt the music, wasn't shy at all, that kind of versatility and confidence from a 12 year old is very promising and bodes well for future success. Chen has already learned how to work the crowd and knows he has the goods, but isn't cocky. He has all the attributes of a champion IMO.

Don't know much about Nguyen but he seems promising too. Nathan though I expect to tear up the JGP next season, and I bet we'll see 3a from him starting this summer, his technique is just so good.

vCash
    This was posted by Syliva in the Jr. Worlds, Men's Free Skate thread:

Nam Nguyen CAN 3A, 3Lz-3T, 3F, 3Lo shaky, 3Lz, 2A-2T-2Lo, 3S-2T shaky.

I believe it is based on a tweet. Nice to see the 3A in qualifying wasn't a fluke.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Here is Nathan's winning 2012 Nationals FS (Home Video)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJB_fUtT1tU

vCash
    I'm hoping that both Nathan and Nam get more power behind their basic skating. The jumps are lovely, but both take a lot of strokes to make it down the rink. (Nathan is also not a very fast spinner given how tiny he is, and that rather surprises me.)

vCash
    Wait a bit, they are both young!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    I'm hoping that both Nathan and Nam get more power behind their basic skating. The jumps are lovely, but both take a lot of strokes to make it down the rink. (Nathan is also not a very fast spinner given how tiny he is, and that rather surprises me.)
    It'll be interesting to see how the coaches handle these skaters once they undergo significant growth spurts. It's tough to expect superior ice coverage at this point in their development, and I think it'll be another 2-3 years before we get more of a sense of where they will be headed once their senior eligible.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12