Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    The song yes, but the change in the lyric was about religion.
    Don't get me started on the change in lyrics. Talk about a prime example of completely missing the point of a song!
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Silly? Definitely not. Hopeful and idealistic? Sure.
    Oh sure, it's hopeful and idealistic if you happen to agree with the worldview that's being promoted in this song. But I don't agree with the worldview that he's pushing in this song so this song, from my little perch in the world, sounds like an anthem to one of the circles of hell. And that, to me, is a silly song. Why would I want to live in a circle of hell? I already live in a circle of hell, I live in New Jersey so I'll stick with the one I've got. If I wrote a song about how I wish the whole world would be just like New Jersey and just like New Jerseyans I bet more than a few people would tell me my song is silly (cruisin would probably be the first one to say that ) and perhaps even stupid. I see this unilateral atheistic worldview he's promoting in this song to be as oppressive as a unilateral religious one can be. So I can't own my own pair of figure skates in John Lennon's world?? Frig that! I get my skates sharpened how I want them sharpened, I have the blades I want, I have the right boots to fit my funny little feet. They're comfy. I know how they handle. I feel secure in them. You try sticking me in a pair of Riedells against my will at the co-operative ice rink because that's all that's available at the moment and I'm gonna go a little wacko with the toepick and there's nothing John Lennon can do or say that's going to stop me. It's just gonna happen because that's me. Unless he lets me have my own skates back, then I'd quit my squawking. But then if he breaks that "no possessions" rule for me just to shut me up, then he's got to break that rule for other people or else it won't be fair. And then human resentment will set in. And then everything is right back to where it was even though religion wasn't even in the picture. Because human nature is human nature and no absence of religion or national boundaries is going to change that.

I don't see how John Lennon telling me I couldn't own my own skates in his ideal world without religion would be any different than the Catholic church telling me what I can and cannot do with my own body. Both of them would be trying to exert mastery and control over my personal dominion. As far as I'm concerned, and I'm hopelessly American when I say this, but they can both kiss my ass if they think I'm gonna do what THEY say. Now, if the person standing next to me in the snack bar chooses to listen to them and follow them that's their choice. Go right ahead, do what you want, the choice is yours, I don't care what you do as long as you leave me out of it. But the second they start telling me how much happier I'd be if I would just see things their way, well, I'm probably gonna start going a little crazy with my toepick. Because like John Lennon I'm hopelessly rebellious and I value my own ideas of what my personal trajectory and evolution should be. Or maybe I've just been living in New Jersey too long. I don't tell John Lennon that he should figure skate so he shouldn't tell me I should want to live without my own pair of figure skates. Dangnabbit.

Anyway...that sentiment of his made him a lot of money so who am I to argue with his success? Maybe he's right and I'm wrong and maybe I should get to writing that hopeful little ditty about how I wish the whole world operated just like the Turnpike at 5:15pm.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash

Southpaw, your sarcasm cracks me up!!!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Originally Posted by leesaleesa
    Then again, I would love to see a fresh take on Jesus loves me. Maybe Marilyn Manson should give it a go.

That's a lovely song. Does she have a nice voice?
    She's all right, likes to remake songs about Jesus.

Someone should take on Heart shaped Box next.

Hey! Wait! I gotta supplicate....

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I don't know, the skaters in communist countries own their own skates. I'm sure we could work something out.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    I don't know, the skaters in communist countries own their own skates. I'm sure we could work something out.
    Uh huh. The idea of you constantly getting stuck with the bike with the seat like an anvil and the slipping gears kinda freaks you out, doesn't it?
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Not really because I don't interpret the song the way you do.

I don't see anywhere that Lennon is saying "Let's make it happen! This is my idea of utopia!" It's all about imaging what would happen if the things that divide us weren't there and seeing if that provides an "aha" moment or not.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    So Lennon is not saying that we should not own clothes, belongings, furniture and homes and we should instead all live out in the forests?

vCash
    OMG. Have you SEEN what's in the forests? There's NATURE IN FORESTS. It grows wild all over the place. It's unnatural, unnatural, I tell ya!
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    I'd rather live nekkid in a forest than get stuck with some pair of Riedells teeming with other people's foot funk.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Who else thinks Southpaw was a pair of rental skates in a past life?

vCash
    Who else thinks Southpaw was a pair of rental skates in a past life?
    Or, maybe a pair of rental bowling shoes

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    OK, go ahead, poke fun all you want but I'll have you know that the People's Front Against Communal Foot Funk finds no humor in your religious ponderings about reincarnated plantar warts.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    OK, go ahead, poke fun all you want but I'll have you know that the People's Front Against Communal Foot Funk finds no humor in your religious ponderings about reincarnated plantar warts.
    Is that PFUNK? Or is that a different organization?

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    Is that PFUNK? Or is that a different organization?
    Same one. And they're having a Cosmic Slop fundraiser in the Octopus's Garden at $5 a plate and I was going to ask you if you wanted to be my date, but now I just don't know....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Same one. And they're having a Cosmic Slop fundraiser in the Octopus's Garden at $5 a plate and I was going to ask you if you wanted to be my date, but now I just don't know....
    Is Octopus' Garden the new restaurant in Xanadu? I mean The Meadowlands are sinking, it may eventually be "under the sea".

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Watching the Voice, I was curious about what singles were released off Cee Lo's last album and how they did. Noticed a "controversies" section, so I read what was written about the re-writing situation and found this:

On June 16, 2011, journalist Andrea Swensson of City Pages negatively reviewed one of Green's performances, writing that it "failed to measure up to the fun factor of his recorded material. Green spent most of the set stationed in front of a microphone at the center of the stage, barely moving an inch while he sang and flanked by two forgettable back-up singers and a DJ that was all but hidden behind a giant LCD display”. In response, the following day Green tweeted "I respect your criticism but be fair! People enjoyed last night! I'm guessing ur gay? And my masculinity offended u? well **** U!”. Green promptly received angered responses from some of his followers on Twitter, to which he replied "Apologies gay community! what was homophobic about that?" In a subsequent interview with magazine Us Weekly, Green stated that his comments were in good fun, adding that "I am not harboring any sort of negative feeling toward the gay community" and that "I am one of the most liberal artists that I think you will ever meet, and I pride myself on that". Green has since deleted the tweets pertaining to this review.
    Charming.

vCash
    Clueless ass.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345