Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    But I hate them.
    I like the flavor of cooked mushrooms; but can't stand the texture.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    On a totally different note ... can you overdose on strawberries? I've been eating them 3 meals a day for the past week. The local berry season is so fleeting, I want to take advantage of it while it lasts. There are few things I anticipate more, seasonal-food wise. (Yes, you can get imported berries year round, but there's just no comparison to the real thing.)

The local cherries are starting to appear too, but that season last much longer so I don't feel the same urgency there.
    Have you tried the white strawberries yet? I'm dying to know what they taste like.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    Does anyone have experience with cream cheese icings? Do they hold up at room temperature for a few hours? The cake is sweet and rich (it's chocolate cake with a pastry cream & chocolate chip filling) and i was thinking the tang of the cream cheese might be a good counter, but I've never tried a cream cheese frosting recipe. I am also going to add a few salted pistachios to the cake batter to temper the sweetness.
    I did a cream cheese frosting for a friend's wedding cake and it held up wonderfully as far as consistency, but the catering company lent us some fridge space until the final hour. I don't think the cream cheese frosting would go bad, but if it's a warm day it's definitely liable to start melting, as would most frostings. I'd worry about the pastry cream being out of the fridge as well. Might the catering company be generous enough to lend you some space in their fridge?

Is the pastry cream your standard vanilla? I'm not sure how that would pair with the cream cheese frosting. Incidentally, I used Deb's cream cheese frosting from her carrot cake recipe on Smittenkitchen. You could do a test run, make a mini batch of cupcakes and see how the flavours blend?

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Same here!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    It took me a long long time to get past the texture of mushrooms. I still can't do big mushrooms or even whole button mushrooms. They must be sliced up, otherwise it is too much for me texture wise.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jl22aries View Post
    I did a cream cheese frosting for a friend's wedding cake and it held up wonderfully as far as consistency, but the catering company lent us some fridge space until the final hour. I don't think the cream cheese frosting would go bad, but if it's a warm day it's definitely liable to start melting, as would most frostings. I'd worry about the pastry cream being out of the fridge as well. Might the catering company be generous enough to lend you some space in their fridge?

Is the pastry cream your standard vanilla? I'm not sure how that would pair with the cream cheese frosting. Incidentally, I used Deb's cream cheese frosting from her carrot cake recipe on Smittenkitchen. You could do a test run, make a mini batch of cupcakes and see how the flavours blend?
    Oh, that's a good point... It never even occurred to me if the frosting and the pastry cream would go together... It's standard vanilla pastry cream, yes. I'm gonna make a test batch this weekend and see.

The wedding isn't being catered. It's a very, very informal affair, more like a backyard potluck party really. And I will definitely have access to the fridge, so I'm thinking of refrigerating the cake til an hour before serving time.

Any other wedding cake tips you'd care to share? I'm pretty confident in my cooking/baking skills but this is the biggest project I've ever attempted and I'm a bit worried that I might have gotten in over my head now...

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Any other wedding cake tips you'd care to share? I'm pretty confident in my cooking/baking skills but this is the biggest project I've ever attempted and I'm a bit worried that I might have gotten in over my head now...
    How are you decorating the cake, other than the frosting? I always think edible flowers are so pretty on a cake, esp. a wedding cake. It really kicks things up a notch. You can either use them plain, or crystalize them. Crystalizing does of course take more time, but it preserves them, and you can do it in advance -- and adds flavour to the milder varieties, like pansy (which is a good choice visually IMO plus usually easy to find).

Edible flower guide -- be sure to pick those in the sweet range rather than the peppery/spicy ones!

How to crystalize flowers

vCash
    Oh, that's a good point... It never even occurred to me if the frosting and the pastry cream would go together... It's standard vanilla pastry cream, yes. I'm gonna make a test batch this weekend and see.

The wedding isn't being catered. It's a very, very informal affair, more like a backyard potluck party really. And I will definitely have access to the fridge, so I'm thinking of refrigerating the cake til an hour before serving time.

Are you doing a layered cake? Use dowels! Those cakes can get heavy. We needed a couple strong bucks to help with the transport. What were you thinking in terms of decoration? I used some fresh flowers left over from the bridal bouquets. I'm happy to send you a picture if you pm me.

vCash
    It is a layer cake, one 9 inch layer on top of one 12 inch layer. I've already made an actual-size test cake to test out the structure - used plastic straws instead of dowels and it held up perfectly!

Artemis, I'm going to keep the decoration simple. I wanted to use real flowers like you suggested but they're tricky to find unsprayed or edible. Then a friend found a website where you can order sugar flowers for real cheap. I got this cake topper:
    http://www.globalsugarart.com/produc...%20with%20Wire
    Isn't it beautiful? It arrived a couple of days ago and it looks gorgeous. I'm just gonna put that on top of the cake and then pipe a border at around the bottom of each cake layer. I'm not very artistic so I don't trust myself to do anything more complicated than that. If I had time to practice I could probably figure out something more intricate but unfortunately I don't.

ETA: Tried 2 white chocolate frostings yesterday: A white chocolate cream cheese frosting and a white choc ganache. The ganache was a success this time cos I used good quality chocolate and decreased the choc-cream ratio to 2.5:1 I think I'm gonna go with the latter for the cake because the cream cheese is too soft and I don't think it will hold up during the wedding.
    Relieved to have figured out the frosting situation finally!
    Last edited by Ajax; 06-29-2012 at 07:13 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    I pick porcini mushrooms and you can dehydrate them and then grind them into powder if you dislike the texture.

Quadless
    vCash
    II got this cake topper:
    http://www.globalsugarart.com/produc...%20with%20Wire
    Isn't it beautiful? It arrived a couple of days ago and it looks gorgeous. I'm just gonna put that on top of the cake and then pipe a border at around the bottom of each cake layer. I'm not very artistic so I don't trust myself to do anything more complicated than that.
    It is indeed lovely, and I think it will be both gorgeous and more than sufficient. Less is more.

E The ganache was a success this time cos I used good quality chocolate and decreased the choc-cream ratio to 2.5:1
    Great news. Sounds like your cake will be both beautiful and delicious.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash

Peach Pie

How do you make your peach pie? I had an excess of peaches so I started to look up recipes. In the end I made up my own. A crust cooked, 2 peaches mashed and cooked with 3/4c up sugar and 3 tbsp of corn starch with a drizzle of lemon juice and then poured over with 4 large sliced fresh peaches in the cooked crust and served with fresh whipped cream. The only thing I will miss is a top crust. I hated the idea of cooking all those beautiful peaches so they were mushy when they are so perfect right now.

vCash
    Our local grocery store (Publix) makes a yummy museli roll. It's a yeast roll with dried cranberries, raisins, and seeds on top. The bread itself is a darker brown, like it is either whole wheat flour (maybe) or has molasses or dark brown sugar in it (more likely) as the bread is ever so slightly sweet. I'm trying to make something similar, and the closest thing I come up with online is this http://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/mu...ead-rolls.html. The photo is pretty similar to what I get here. Has anyone ever made anything like this before? I'm not sure what "wholemeal" flour is - whole wheat?

I made soda bread for the first time today. It was yummy.

Thanks for any input.
    "If I wore what Amodio is wearing to the gayest gaybar in gayville they would kick me out for being too gay." - toddlj

vCash
    Wholemeal is whole wheat.

Those rolls are sold here at Trader Joe's in the baked goods area.
    Similar recipes: http://suchtreasures.com/2006/09/27/...omment-page-1/

http://www.food.com/recipe/primal-en...-recipe-418935

This one looks good too... http://ashleighhomemaker.blogspot.co...fast-bars.html
    Last edited by TheGirlCanSkate; 07-08-2012 at 03:05 AM.

vCash
    I have been eating a lot more vegetarian foods lately which is a total shock to myself and my friends. I never thought I could do it but I went on a kick of eating a lot of fast food because of a program I am in this summer and my body was absolutely craving vegetables and fruit. It was time to listen to I began eating veggie wraps and trying to get more creative at dinner. I still eat some meat but I try to eat shrimp when I go out to dinner instead of red meat or chicken.

Does anyone have any good vegetarian recipes? I am not big on beans because my stomach can't handle them but I can eat them as long as they aren't the main part of the meal. I am also not big on soups, too hot right now and they aren't very filling to me. I want to do this more often and keep up with it but I feel like I have no idea how to do that because I only know of 2-3 things that I actually like that are vegetarian. The things I know are:

Spaghetti with eggplant and mushrooms instead of meat
    Avocados topped with corn and mushrooms
    Veggie wraps (lunch mainly)

I need to try portobello burgers but I have not typically been a fan of big mushrooms. I love the flavor but the texture can be off putting so I worry that I wont be able to get past the way it feels in my mouth. I will try it, though.

Are there any vegetarians in here? What are some of your favorite meals to make at home? Oh, and one last picky thing, I hate fish. (Do you still consider a meal vegetarian if it has seafood?)

I want to do this but I feel like I am too picky about beans, mushrooms and fish. lol
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Are there any vegetarians in here? What are some of your favorite meals to make at home? Oh, and one last picky thing, I hate fish. (Do you still consider a meal vegetarian if it has seafood?)
    I think there are quite a few of us here. And no, vegetarians do not eat fish. If you eat fish you can call yourself a "pescatarian" or an "almost vegetarian" . But it's a pet peeve for me and a lot of other veggies I know when other people assume "you're a vegetarian? Oh, then here, have some fish!"

Anyway, it's a pity you don't like beans -- aside from the protein, they're filling, high in fibre and iron, and really cheap. But no matter, there are other options.

A good place to start is with quinoa. It's a grain that's high in protein and extremely versatile. You can use it the same way you'd use rice or couscous, as a bed for a veggie stew for example. But my favourite use for quinoa, esp. in the summer, is a salad. For a Moroccan quinoa salad add grated carrot, almonds, raisins, and onion, and season with cumin, mint, garlic, and lemon. For a Greek version, add cuke and tomato, season with oregano and garlic. But the possibilities are endless.

There's a fabulous cookbook for quinoa called Quinoa 365. Some of their recipes are online at their web site, but if you google "quinoa 365 recipies" you can find some others. (The Moist Chocolate Quinoa Cake is frikin amazing!)

For an amazing database of veggie recipies, try Vegweb -- nicely organized by type. Also Vegetarian Times.

In terms of suggesting specific recipes ... it's hard to know where to start, since everything I make is vegetarian. So I'll start with what I'm making for lunch: this Healthy Spinach Dip. But I make it with yogurt instead of cream cheese; and if you're really not keen on beans you can use walnuts and/or breadcrumbs instead. Or I bet substituting cooked quinoa would work too!

vCash
    I don't mind beans its just that if I eat too much of them I am afraid of having gas. I rather like the taste, though. Maybe I can try to ease them into my diet and see how I do.
    -Brian

vCash
    ^ Maybe start with edamame then. A lot of people don't experience the same, um, gastric side-effects with edamame that they do with other beans -- something to do with the "greenness" perhaps?

I like edamame with just a little sea salt, or tossed with some sesame oil and soy sauce, but there are lots of good recipes for them too. This one is a particular fave: Black Rice and Edamame Salad. (You can just omit the mushrooms for this one since you're not a fan. Avacado would be a nice addition too.)

vCash
    Thanks, I love edamame and I can't recall ever having problems. I think I would like that recipe as is because the mushrooms are sliced thin and I could even cook them and cool them in the fridge first if I wanted, I like cooked mushrooms because they soak up so much flavor.
    -Brian

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I don't mind beans its just that if I eat too much of them I am afraid of having gas. I rather like the taste, though. Maybe I can try to ease them into my diet and see how I do.
    Per Alton Brown, the best way to take care of this problem, BION, is to eat more beans. Your body will get used to it.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast