Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    You can make tabbouleh with quinoa (instead of bulgur wheat).
    My family is Lebanese-Australian, I think my mum would kill me!

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    What is the secret to good Indian rice?
    I have an Indian friend who is a fantastic cook and she makes absolutely perfect basmati rice. Apparently she cooks it just like pasta - boil in lots of salted water and then drain. Who knew?
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    I have an Indian friend who is a fantastic cook and she makes absolutely perfect basmati rice. Apparently she cooks it just like pasta - boil in lots of salted water and then drain. Who knew?
    That's really the way to cook most rice, especially brown rice. I've been doing it like that for 40 years. My aunt, who is the best cook in the family, taught me to do it that way.

vCash
    What is the secret to good Indian rice?
    As someone who comes from an Indian family : Rice cooker!!! 1 cup of rice = 2 cups of Water + a pinch of salt. You don't even have to watch it. Good quality basmati rice helps too!

Boiling and draining is a good option if you don't have a rice cooker, it's how my mum used to do it for me when I was a student and didn't have a rice cooker.

vCash
    Ok folks, so someone told me today about a vegetarian version of a shepherd's pie. The the middle out of a loaf of bread, fill it will veggies and stock and cover the top with potato. Bake until the potato is golden. That's all I've got. It sounds delicious! Has anyone ever made this, or does anyone have a more specific recipe? I love potato...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Libertango View Post
    As someone who comes from an Indian family : Rice cooker!!! 1 cup of rice = 2 cups of Water + a pinch of salt. You don't even have to watch it. Good quality basmati rice helps too!

Boiling and draining is a good option if you don't have a rice cooker, it's how my mum used to do it for me when I was a student and didn't have a rice cooker.
    I have a small Rival rice cooker that I got last Christmas. I will start using it. I have made brown rice in it a couple of times.

vCash
    Yep. This is exactly how my mom and all my relatives make rice (we're Indian), except they omit the salt.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    Ok folks, so someone told me today about a vegetarian version of a shepherd's pie. The the middle out of a loaf of bread, fill it will veggies and stock and cover the top with potato. Bake until the potato is golden. That's all I've got. It sounds delicious! Has anyone ever made this, or does anyone have a more specific recipe? I love potato...
    I've never made this, as I'm not a fan of type of dish ... but I'm about the bread. When we had traditional shepherd's pie when I was growing up, there was no bottom "crust." It was just seasoned ground beef (or lamb, or a combo) with veggies topped with a mashed potato crust. So I'm not sure where the bread would come in.

Even tho' I'm not usually a fan of "meat replacement products," I have adapted a couple of comfort food recipes using Yves ground round (a soy mock ground beef -- there are other brands out there too). I would think that would be the easiest way to make a vegetarian shepherd's pie.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I'd be inclined to make a nice thick veggie stew, and then top it with the mashed potatoes for shepherd's pie, or if dairy isn't a problem, a pie crust for pot pie.

vCash
    Bitty how long to cook the rice?
    Is this a good method for long grain rice?

I'm a good cook but rice is hit or miss with me, maybe it's because rice is not served as a course with a meal. Mine is potatoes or pasta, so I don't make it often to make a great fluffy rice.
    Well, that is what I tell myself.

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JAF View Post
    Bitty how long to cook the rice?
    To be honest, I don't know but I'll ask her. I would assume around the same length of time that it says on the package (usually around 15 - 20 minutes for white rice and 40 - 45 minutes for brown). I would set my timer for slightly less than the target time and then start testing it.

Is this a good method for long grain rice?
    I don't see why it shouldn't be.

I'm a good cook but rice is hit or miss with me, maybe it's because rice is not served as a course with a meal. Mine is potatoes or pasta, so I don't make it often to make a great fluffy rice.
    I had the same issue until just this past year. I felt like rice was the one area in which my skills deserted me, but then I started paying careful attention to the proportions on the package and the cook time. You can always add more water, so better to be scant than generous. Ditto for time - set the time just a tad short. And I follow Molly Katzen's directive about not peeking - you can check once and that's it.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

From the Bloc
    vCash
    For those with rice cookers - does it basically always work the same way, or are there different settings for different kinds or rice? Can you flavour the rice as part of the process?

I think I'm quite good at rice pilafs of various kinds, but basic fluffy rice sometimes challenges me. I've tried the boil-and-drain method but prefer the one-pot method as it's less messy when you are cooking other dishes at the same time.

Also, for eggplant/aubergine fans, this came up on Jamie Oliver's FB this morning: melanzane alla parmiagiana aubergine.

vCash
    Jenny, mine only has a "warm" and "on" setting. Yes, you can flavour the rice, and remember brown rice needs a little extra water. I have a fabulous cook book for rice cookers - I adore it. The Ultimate Rice Cooker.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    Jenny, mine only has a "warm" and "on" setting. Yes, you can flavour the rice, and remember brown rice needs a little extra water. I have a fabulous cook book for rice cookers - I adore it. The Ultimate Rice Cooker.
    Added to my cart for future consideration

Honestly I have no room for additional appliances, but I will say we do actually use them. And I need to master brown rice this summer.

vCash
    I just have a humble Sylvania (not Rival like I originally posted) model that I got from Walgreens. You use one part rice, two parts water and the weight turns it on, and it cooks for approxmately 20 minutes (brown and wild rice take a bit longer).

If my main course is chicken, sometimes I add some powdered bouillion to the water or chicken broth in lieu of water to cook it. Same with beef.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I've posted this before (Habs ) but since you asked - Santa Fe Quinoa Salad.

Don't substitute the cocktail onions - it sounds weird, but their pickling juice combines with the lime to make the dressing. After we served this at a BBQ, everyone wanted the recipe and now all our friends are making it. Several have noted that their teens love it too.
    Made it tonight with kidney beans instead of black beans, and adding a tiny bit of tomato and diced cucumber. It was DELICIOUS!

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Seasoned & roasted nuts are one of my favouritest snacks, so I'm always excited when I find a new recipe. This this one is a definite winner: Coffee Roasted Nuts. I might tinker with the ingredients a bit, but at first try vvg.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    For those with rice cookers - does it basically always work the same way, or are there different settings for different kinds or rice? Can you flavour the rice as part of the process?
    [/URL]
    Mine only has a Warm and Cook setting, and it works perfectly for all kinds of rice - in fact for all grains and even pulses. I regularly cook lentils and chickpeas in it and they come out perfect every time.

vCash
    I made black beans yesterday using this recipe - very simple, and very yummy. I poured them over some rice and chopped cilantro with lime juice and it came out perfectly.

Boyfriend is a HUGE Super Mario fan and I'm considering making this as a surprise next time he comes to visit (hopefully he doesn't read FSU ) but I think the radishes would just be too big in proportion to the rest of the salad...? I don't know, I'm not a big radish person, but that is too cute.
    Last edited by mkats; 03-23-2012 at 11:08 PM.

vCash
    mkats, I can't access the page.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast