Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    treat it like any grain you would normally eat for dinner.
    Thanks, I'm making sort of like pumpkin and spinach "risotto" with it as I type

vCash
    Bumping this thread up. Every year at work we have a dessert contest at the holidays. I almost always win. Last year, my pumpkin cheesecake took the "golden spoon" which is a photocopy of a wooden spoon colored in with a highlighter. Anyway, this year our contest is in a week and a half. I am looking for ideas. I've been challenged by the new guy, who informs me that his Key Lime pie is terrific. One other competitor is making triple ginger cookies from an Epicurious recipe. They are fabulous and I am worried a bit.

What's your favorite dessert recipe? I'm thinking a cake or something like that. Usually my go-to is a pineapple upside down cake.

Discuss.....
    "If I wore what Amodio is wearing to the gayest gaybar in gayville they would kick me out for being too gay." - toddlj

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Christina View Post
    Bumping this thread up. Every year at work we have a dessert contest at the holidays. I almost always win. Last year, my pumpkin cheesecake took the "golden spoon" which is a photocopy of a wooden spoon colored in with a highlighter. Anyway, this year our contest is in a week and a half. I am looking for ideas. I've been challenged by the new guy, who informs me that his Key Lime pie is terrific. One other competitor is making triple ginger cookies from an Epicurious recipe. They are fabulous and I am worried a bit.

What's your favorite dessert recipe? I'm thinking a cake or something like that. Usually my go-to is a pineapple upside down cake.

Discuss.....
    I would suggest you bake something with chocolate in it. Lots of people don't like ginger or lime.

vCash
    I find myself needing a make-ahead brussels sprouts recipe to take along for Christmas dinner. I won't have access to the oven but probably the microwave or stovetop for reheating - or I have a rather large slow cooker to keep warm. I am feeling very challenged because this is definitely a veg that is better just-cooked. Anyone have an idea - Please please please?

From the Bloc
    vCash
    How about a brussels sprouts salad? Easier to deal with, and a bit unexpected. I've served this at parties and as part of family dinners, and it's been a huge hit every time, even among those who think they don't like brussels sprouts. One time I even served the cheese on the side, so that a vegan friend could enjoy it as well.

vCash
    I don't like brussel sprouts generally, but earlier this week I had some brussel sprout kimchi, which was surprisingly good! It wouldn't require re-heating either. I've never made kimchi, but I believe you need to make it several days in advance - but Christmas is still more than a week away. Of course, kimchi isn't exactly traditional Christmas food, at least not where I live!
    Creating drama!

vCash
    I roast brussel sprouts and don't find it is s problem reheating them. Usually it's a tastes better on the second day type thing.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    Thanks all for the suggestions and links.

Snoopy, I had looked at a few recipes that roasted the sprouts but didn't know they would reheat well. How do you reheat them - oven, microwave, frypan or doesn't matter?

I also had heard of the salad option before, though didn't find a recipe so thanks for that, Jenny. I will chat with the hostess and see if another cold veg is acceptable, but I am already providing my famous bean salad by request, so probably not the best idea for this particular meal. Unfortunately 2 people have nut allergies but going to see if sunflower seeds are also on the banned list as they might provide some of the crunch - else I guess I would just have to add some croutons or something. Is it better to dress it a day or hours ahead like a coleslaw - or should it be dressed just before serving? It's not clear in the recipe instructions.

I don't know much about kimchi, jeffisjeff, but since I know at least one of the guests doesn't even like sauerkraut, (which is pretty main stream in my area due to huge German/Mennonite population), I think I will have to give this a skip for this event. I will look for some recipes before I totally discard the idea, but again there is that bean salad already in the mix.

Thanks again everyone
    Last edited by Skate Talker; 12-14-2013 at 07:36 PM.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617