Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
    I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Oh, yum: thanks Jenny!
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Caulkhead forever
    vCash
    I made Chickpeas Romesco last night, it's the recipe I most wanted to try since I first got the Veganomicon but I'd never got round to it. It was sooo good I need to make it again ASAP! (I may be a bit obsessed with chickpeas.)
    I am too long away from water;
    I have a need of water near.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash

FSU Chefs Unite (Recipes Thread Part II)

My mother-in-law was diagnosed with breast cancer and she will be having surgery very soon. I would like to bring over some premade frozen meals that can be easily thawed and reheated for when she is recovering. I'm going to make a pasta fagioli soup but after that I'm stuck. I don't want to make a lasagna because the flavors are similar to the soup. What else makes a great frozen meal?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    My mother-in-law was diagnosed with breast cancer and she will be having surgery very soon. I would like to bring over some premade frozen meals that can be easily thawed and reheated for when she is recovering. I'm going to make a pasta fagioli soup but after that I'm stuck. I don't want to make a lasagna because the flavors are similar to the soup. What else makes a great frozen meal?
    Why not make both? She doesn't have to eat everything on the same day. Or try a white lasagna, that should be sufficiently different. Lasagna and casseroles usually freeze well, and soups (in addition to the one you're making) would also be a good option. I think the best thing would be to think of what she likes and then make whichever of these dishes will be easy to freeze and reheat. My mom and her siblings often bring my grandfather meals to keep in his fridge/freezer and I haven't noticed anything special that they do - just whatever he likes. Also, if she's starting chemo or radiation treatments soon, it could make her nauseous, so maybe make a few milder foods as well?

Make sure to label everything and add instructions re how long it'll keep and how best to reheat things.

I hope that the surgery will go well and that she will make a full recovery.

ETA: some links, just from Googling, nothing I've tried myself:
    http://allrecipes.com/howto/freezing...al-time-saver/
    http://thestonesoup.com/blog/2010/10...s-10-minutes/#
    http://www.thekitchn.com/from-the-fi...-that-fr-67269
    http://www.southernliving.com/food/w...0400000009133/

vCash
    Moussaka freezes really well, as do most curries.

vCash
    Thanks. I ended up buying some frozen lasagnas because, honestly, they taste as good as anything I could make and are actually cheaper than making it myself when you think about all the cheese you have to buy.

I am making the pasta fagioli and also making a batch of chicken salad. The chicken salad I will wait and make right before she gets out of the hospital as I don't know about freezing that. She eats a chicken salad sandwich almost every day for lunch so it might be nice to just have her normal routine without having to make it herself or buy a crappy store version.

I am going to look for some moussaka recipes. I have never made it.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash

I am making the pasta fagioli and also making a batch of chicken salad. The chicken salad I will wait and make right before she gets out of the hospital as I don't know about freezing that.
    Those both sound like good choices, but I don't think you should freeze the chicken salad because of the mayo--doesn't it separate? You might try chili or beef stew/beef burgundy without potatoes; potatoes are said not to freeze well. I wonder about shepherd's pie: Would the mashed potatoes on top do OK in the freezer? That would also be a hearty meal.

Although I like garlic, I try to moderate my use of it when preparing things for the freezer, because I've read that garlic tends to get stronger when frozen.

I find that homemade muffins do OK in the freezer if they are double-bagged, though they don't stay in my freezer very long! Depending on what your MIL likes, you could make something that's both tasty and healthy like apple or carrot. Googling "morning glory muffins" will turn up a lot of tasty options.

A quick possibility would be a pound of Honey-Baked Ham packaged in individual portions and then wrapped well in heavy foil. If that doesn't appeal to her, you could check good markets in the neighborhood for roast chicken breast, turkey breast, pork loin, etc. Again, wrap very well. Label and date everything. Be sure not to exceed the capacity of her freezer!

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    This looks like a good place to ask a dumb question.

A year ago for the High Holidays I made a wonderful new recipe, a Moroccan stew with chicken and root vegetables. Since I had never cooked a rutabaga, turnip or parsnip in my life it was an adventure.

Now I want to make it again. Except that I remember that out of those three vegetables, one tasted bitter and unpleasant. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the parsnip. Which one was it, so I can leave it out?

(I grew up on Green Giant frozen veggies, you'd be surprised at how people can get through most of their lives without having tasted some real vegetables.)
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    I am not freezing the chicken salad. I am going to wait and make it right before she comes home that way it can just go right in the fridge. In a really cold fridge I imagine it would be good for 4 days or so.
    -Brian

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    This looks like a good place to ask a dumb question.

A year ago for the High Holidays I made a wonderful new recipe, a Moroccan stew with chicken and root vegetables. Since I had never cooked a rutabaga, turnip or parsnip in my life it was an adventure.

Now I want to make it again. Except that I remember that out of those three vegetables, one tasted bitter and unpleasant. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the parsnip. Which one was it, so I can leave it out?

(I grew up on Green Giant frozen veggies, you'd be surprised at how people can get through most of their lives without having tasted some real vegetables.)
    Rutabaga is a type of turnip; in fact, in New England markets they are labelled 'turnip', not 'rutabaga'. It does get stronger in flavor and more bitter, the longer it hangs around in your fridge. It's my guess for the culprit.

However, it's one of my favorite winter vegetables; no Thanksgiving in my house is complete without rutabaga and potatoes mashed together with lashings of butter, salt, and pepper. Please give rutabaga another chance.

vCash
    While I went through chemo, my tastes changed a bit. Anything sweet was good and most Italian was welcomed. Could not do plain water, sodas, some strong spices, or some bland foods -- both ends of the spectrum were off limits. Stick to mid-road comfort foods and it should be okay. (And for me, my first chemo was the hardest by a mile.) good luck to her.

vCash
    PRLady, I think it's the rutabaga. In my unprofessional process, I have used parsnips and turnips many times in soups and stews and neither was bitter, in fact they each added a certain sweetness. I would go to WF or a farmer's market in your spare time (ha) and get one of each and parboil to taste.

vCash
    Rutabaga for sure. Turnips and parsnips are wonderful, though Buy an extra turnip for yourself and try it raw. I love them.

Brian, I knew one of my Vegetarian magazines had a number of make-and-freeze casseroles, and you can always add meat to them. Let me know if any of these sound good and I can post the recipe:

Sweet Potato Sheperd's Pie
    Indian Samosa Casserole
    Veggie Tamale Pie
    Mushroom and Wild Rice Hot Dish

vCash
    I made these and brought them over to my mother-in-law (along with some Italian soup that I mentioned). I know I posted about this a while ago but the surgery was delayed for 4 weeks because she was a smoker. In order to do the reconstruction her skin needed to have the elasticity and nicotine apparently hurts that. So she stopped and waited for 4 weeks and is now home resting. The surgery went well and her nodes came back negative which is a great sign. Anyway, these brownies were AWESOME. I highly recommend them. The peanut butter frosting is to die for.

http://www.tastesoflizzyt.com/2013/0...tter-brownies/

I did not top with the Reeses pieces or drizzle with chocolate, figured that would be overkill. One thing I did do was stick a reeses peanut butter cup on top (the pumpkin ones for halloween). I know, that IS overkill but I freaking love peanut butter cups. Next time I might actually mix them into the frosting so you have chunks of chocolate and the actual reeses peanut butter in there. Yum!

These come out really dense and almost fudge like. If you like a brownie that is crispy on the outside and edges but really dense in the middle, this is for you. It is not a cake like brownie at all. The brownie itself will probably be my go-to recipe from now on, whether I want to use the peanut butter frosting or not.
    -Brian

vCash
    Hey guys! I'm interested in finding a good dry chipotle seasoning or a recipe for one that would fairly easy to use interchangeably on meats, seafood, veggies, etc. Des anyone have a favorite that they make or buy? Let me know. Thanks!
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    ^ The problem with most dried & ground spices is that they start to lose their flavours as soon as they're ground. Peppery spices are particularly bad for this.

I prefer to use canned chipotle in adobe sauce -- I freeze the leftovers if I don't use the whole can at once. If you prefer dried, try to find whole chipotle peppers -- they would most likely not be a brand, but in bulk. Mexican food stores obviously, but any good spice store or specialty food store would have them too.

If you want real convenience, though, go with chipotle flavoured Tabasco sauce.

vCash
    ^^Thanks for the info. I'm going to check it out and let you know how it turns out.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    Can anyone recommend some savoury, not breakfast uses for steel cut oats?

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    treat it like any grain you would normally eat for dinner

i went through a savory oatmeal phase. generally garlic, whatever vegetables i had and a vegetable bouillon cube. i dont have any specific recipes because it was something i would eat when i didnt feel like going to the store.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    Can anyone recommend some savoury, not breakfast uses for steel cut oats?
    A friend of mine is The Oatmeal Artist (she's also a big skating fan but I can't recall if she used to post here or not), and she has a list of savory recipes on her recipe list if you scroll down.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast