Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Three things that Belgium has produced that drive me mad with pleasure, frites, Kevin Van Der Perren and this.

I bought some by mistake from the CVS, thinking it was their house brand of peanut butter. But it's not - it's much better. Not just sweeter, but lower in carbs and calories than peanut butter. It has changed my life.
    If you live near a Trader Joe's, look for their cookie butter. It's the same thing and sooooooo good OMG.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    If you live near a Trader Joe's, look for their cookie butter. It's the same thing and sooooooo good OMG.
    We are getting a Trader Joes in the fall of 2013. I can not explain how excited this makes me!!!!!

-Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    One of my dad's recipes. It was also in the lunch box.

Baklava

3 tbsp. honey
    1/4 cup water
    1/3 cup sugar
    4 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
    1/2 cup raisins
    1/3 cup of packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup of Post Grape Nuts cereal
    1/2 cup of chopped pecans, toasted
    1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    8 sheets of Phyllo dough - 14 x 9 inches

Combine the honey, water, sugar and lemon juice in a small sauce pan. Bring ingredients to a boil. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved, and remove from heat.

Combine the raisins, brown sugar, cereal, pecans and cinnamon in a bowl and stir in 3 tbsp. of the honey mixture. Set the rest of the honey mixture aside.

Stack the Phyllo dough sheets onto a work surface, and trim 1 inch from the 9 inch side. Cut in half lengthwise, forming 8 inch x 7 inch rectangles. Overlap two pieces in a greased 8 inch square baking dish, and spray with cooking spray. Repeat three times.

Spread the nut mixture over top. Overlap two pieces of Phyllo dough to cover nut mixture, and spray with cooking spray. Repeat with remaining Phyllo dough. Use a sharp knife to cut into 24 rectangles, about 2 1/2 inches x 1 inch.

Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Reheat the rest of the honey mixture, and pour over hot baklava. Cool completely on a wire rack. Makes about 2 dozen.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Have you ever tried Justin's Maple Almond Nut Butter? (Available in jars and individual squeeze packs) -- tasty, and only 8g of carbs in a 2 tablespoon serving, vs. 16 g. of carbs in 2T of the Biscoff spread.
    Love, love, love Justin's. And the individual packets are great for travel. I keep one in my purse, too.

Made chicken paillards tonight, which I marinated in a mix of dijon mustard, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, salt, crushed garlic, rosemary and a bit of thyme and savory. I then grilled them on the stove in a grill pan and finished them with some lemon juice. Amazing.

Served them with a medley of shitake, trumpet and other mushrooms sauteed in fresh garlic and olive oil and, towards the end, a splash of vermouth and some fresh basil.

I also also made a mixture of brown rice and red wild rice (3 parts brown to one part wild). Yummy!
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    Have you tried Trader Joe's Cocoa Almond Spread? It's divine but not at all low in calories.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Ok, is FSU getting kickbacks from Trader Joe's?

No fair teasing me with their stuff though. I only get near one once or twice a year.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I should be getting kickbacks from TJ, as much as I tout its products everywhere. Artemis, that Cocoa Almond spread keeps, get a few jars. But be warned, it's calorie-wise.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Someone on Facebook posted a photo of a lemon icebox pie they made. I don't care for lemon icebox pies but this one had something special. It was made with a FRUITY PEBBLES CRUST.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Cocoa almond spread...mmm.

I'm sure anyone with a food processor could whip one up. With dark chocolate, it could be a really healthy homemade spread. Just a couple teaspoons at a time though

vCash
    I'm making some things for a baby shower and I'd like to do some cute mini cupcakes but I'm drawing a blank. Maybe a salted caramel cupcake? Red velvet? Anything, really. I've had some issues with cupcake recipes in the past, so if anyone has a good one, I'd love if you could share it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jl22aries View Post
    I'm making some things for a baby shower and I'd like to do some cute mini cupcakes but I'm drawing a blank. Maybe a salted caramel cupcake? Red velvet? Anything, really. I've had some issues with cupcake recipes in the past, so if anyone has a good one, I'd love if you could share it!
    I realize you specifically asked for cupcake recipes, but I think this recipe for brownie bites might be a good option as well. I've made them several times for girls' nights and they've gotten rave reviews. You can use all different colored sprinkles depending on your theme.

A salted caramel cupcake sounds lovely as well! I made some salted caramel brownies recently.

vCash
    For shower cupcakes, I usually try to incorporate the theme or colors.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    jl2aires, this recipe isn't for cupcakes, either, but I have made it for several parties and family reunions in the past. I usually doubled the recipe when making them for a large crowd.

Congo Bars

1 box brown sugar
    1 stick of margarine (melt and let it cool to room temperature. Then, stir into brown sugar.)
    3 eggs
    2 3/4 cups self-rising flour
    1 6 oz. pkg. chocolate chips
    1 cup chopped pecans (if desired)

Add the three eggs (one at a time) to the brown sugar and margarine mixture. Then, stir in the chcocolate chips and pecans. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until brown.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Simone, you are once again intriguing me with the names of your recipes! Why "Congo Bars"? This sounds like a typical American confection, nothing African about it - do you know its origin?

Jenny, student of food history

vCash
    Oh gosh I am sure there is could be an entire academia (related to post colonial theory I am sure) that studies the naming of American foodstuffs. I'm betting it's an orientalism - with its "exotic" ingredients (cocoa, coconut?), the "Congo" might reference the (old) West's idea of far off "exotic" lands.

Thanks for all the suggestions! We've already got quite the menu going....filo shells filled with pastry cream and topped with seasonal berries, garlic scapes pesto bruschetta, a sundried tomato and bocconcini pasta salad, and I'm thinking of thumbprint cookies with homemade raspberry strawberry jam. So I'm really feeling that mini cupcakes would round off the menu. It's an "atraditional" baby shower...a picnic under the sun with great food, bubbles, lawn games, and general merriment. Though I'd love to hear about any baby shower experiences that pop out in your minds!

vCash
    Simone, when do you add in the flour? After the eggs are mixed in and before the choc chips and pecans? Do you put this in a 9x13 baking dish and then cut into bars? It sounds interesting. I assume it is the smallish box of brown sugar, otherwise that seems awfully sugary. It sounds like a basic choc chip cookie recipe just without any baking soda or white sugar.
    -Brian

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jl22aries View Post
    Oh gosh I am sure there is could be an entire academia (related to post colonial theory I am sure) that studies the naming of American foodstuffs. I'm betting it's an orientalism - with its "exotic" ingredients (cocoa, coconut?), the "Congo" might reference the (old) West's idea of far off "exotic" lands.
    I googled it, and there are millions of recipes out there, so it's an established dish (with variations of course), but there's no information on its origin.

There certainly was a fad, perhaps still is, for giving ordinary recipes exotic names to make them more appealing, especially in the days when many recipes were generated by the food companies to sell their products. Food writers also did their share to make their articles interesting and attract readers.

Congo implies Africa, so some have surmised that it's because of the coconut found in many versions (although there are other places I'd associate with coconut before Africa!) and apparently they are often called Conga bars, which would be more Latin. There are versions that are also known as seven-layer bars, so perhaps it's some play on the conga line style of dancing that was popular at one time - all the layers lined up against each other?

vCash

Help!

We are drowning in a sea of YELLOW SQUASH!!!

I am desperately seeking recipes. Can I do bread or cake with it like you can do with its green cousin the zucchini?

I've made plain old grilled, roasted with olive oil and salt, roasted with breadcrumbs, and a really tasty baked version with Bisquick. But we're overwhelmed with a ton of ripe ones coming out of the garden and we need some variety.

Any and all recipes welcome!

vCash
    ^ Quick and easy summer squash recipe: 2 parts diced squash to 1 part salsa. Mix in a handfull of grated cheddar, then pour into a cassarole dish. Top with more cheddar, bake at about 350 til the cheese melty. Crank up to broil for a couple of minutes to brown the cheese. Mmmm!

vCash
    Another couple of zucchini recipes I've done with yellow summer squash.

("zucchini" is another one of those words that, the more you type it, the wronger it looks)

Toasted Zucchini Snacks

2 cups shredded zucchini
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
    1/2 cup plain yogurt
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
    4 green onions, thinly sliced
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
    36 slices snack rye bread

In a bowl, toss the zucchini and salt; let stand for 1 hour. Rinse and drain; pressing out excess liquid. Add the next eight ingredients; stir until combined. Spread a rounded teaspoonful on each slice of bread; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 10 -12 minutes or until bubbly. Serve hot.

Spicy Zucchini Salad

3 zucchini or yellow summer squash, or mixture of both
    1 lime
    1 tbsp ( 15 mL) soy sauce
    1-1/2 tsp ( 7 mL) sesame oil, preferably dark
    1-1/2 tsp ( 7 mL) freshly grated ginger or 1/4 tsp (1 mL) crushed ground ginger
    1/4 tsp ( 1 mL) crushed red pepper
    2 tbsp ( 30 mL) finely chopped fresh coriander or parsley

Cut zucchini in half, lengthwise. Using a food processor or sharp knife, thinly slice or julienne zucchini. Place in a mixing bowl.

Grate peel from lime, then cut lime in half and squeeze out juice. You should have about 2 tablespoons. Whisk peel and juice with soy, oil, ginger, red pepper and coriander. Pour over zucchini and mix until evenly coated. Serve right away or cover and refrigerate. This salad is best served within 3 hours after it is made as zucchini becomes soggy.

Makes3 to 4 servings

from Chatelaine

-----

This one I've never tried with yellow squash but can't see why it wouldn't work. And it would certainly use up a lot!

Zucchini Relish

4 L chopped zucchini
    4-5 large white onions
    1 red pepper
    125 mL pickling salt
    750 mL white sugar
    750 mL vinegar
    125 mL water
    25 mL turmeric
    25 mL celery seed
    5 mL mustard seed

Cut ends off zucchini but do not peel. Finely chop zucchini, onions, and pepper and place in a large bowl. Sprinkle with pickling salt and cover with ice water. Let stand 1 hour. Drain and rinse well under cold running water. Drain thoroughly.

In a large pot, boil sugar, vinegar, water, tumeric and celery seed for 3 minutes. Add vegetable mixture, bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Spoon hot relish into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/2"(1cm) space at the top. Place lids on jars. Process in boiling water for 15 minutes.

( from Peakrecipes)

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast