Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    vCash
    The radish one? Here's another link to the main article, hopefully that works!

http://www.culturevixen.com/2011/04/...ish-mushrooms/

vCash
    No, the black bean recipe.

vCash
    Huh. Weird. I edited it - does it work now?

vCash
    Yes, thanks!

vCash
    Those black beans look yummy. The two times I've been to Guatemala they've served black beans at every meal including breakfast. Fortunately, I like them.

Quadless
    vCash
    I just made black beans this morning, too. No recipe - sautéed chopped onion (red), celery and carrots, tossed in some salt and a little ground cumin after the aromatics had sweated, then added some chopped garlic and cooked that for a minute, and then added a couple of bay leaves and a thyme bundle along with the pre-soaked beans and water. Cooked it for about two hours. Towards the end I added the grated zest of one lemon, and when it was done, I finished it with the juice of the same lemon. Delicious.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    I made crepes today with a no waiting recipe for the first time, it tuned out great!
    If anyones going to Nice for Worlds, don't forget to taste crepes!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I saw a recipe for no carb pancakes which are basically creamcheese crepes. I decided to give it a try with a few tweaks since I don't care about a few carbs (actually, I prefer them, haha). The recipe called for:

2 eggs
    2 ounces cream cheese
    1 packet sugar substitue (or a little sugar)
    Blend all together (I used my Magic Bullet)

This comes out super super thin so I added in about 2-3 tablespoons of flour and 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder after blending, I just stirred it in so as to not over mix. They came out much closer to pancakes this way but still not nearly as much flour. I also added about 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and that really added some nice flavor. My only complaint was that they were kind of spongy. How would I fix that? More baking powder? Maybe 2 eggs was too much? It only makes 4 medium pancakes so I think I could cut out an egg and maybe add in some milk/water if it looks too dry. Eggs are rather heavy...
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    It's 3:48 here on the left coast, which means a. procrastinating at work and b. thinking about dinner. In particular, I'm thinking about the Raw Pad Thai I made last night that's sitting in the fridge just a-waiting for me to get home.

vCash
    I was given some home-made, jarred preserved lemon. What do I do with it? Does it need to sit for a while, liked pickled things? It's been jarred a couple of weeks. Should it go in the fridge?

Artemis, let me know how the raw pad Thai is! It looks delicious!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    It's 3:48 here on the left coast, which means a. procrastinating at work and b. thinking about dinner. In particular, I'm thinking about the Raw Pad Thai I made last night that's sitting in the fridge just a-waiting for me to get home.
    Yum! We are just back from Thailand, where were had some of the most delicious meals of our lives. Along the way, we spoke with several chefs who revealed secrets of what we were eating, so this weekend we are heading to a big Asian grocery to stock up on ingredients.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    I was given some home-made, jarred preserved lemon. What do I do with it? Does it need to sit for a while, liked pickled things? It's been jarred a couple of weeks. Should it go in the fridge?
    I've always seen it sold from open refrigerated cases, so I keep the jar in the fridge. After several weeks it should be ready.

Not sure how much might be online, but it's a staple in the fabulous Moroccan dishes of Claudia Roden - all her books are excellent, and I'd say a jar of homemade preserved lemons is a great excuse to buy one!

On another note, the Masters put me in a Southern mood this weekend, so I made butter for the buttermilk more than the butter, then made buttermilk biscuits, served of course with the homemade butter (or in hubby's case, his chicken gravy).

Is there anything more sublime that a good biscuit? I used a basic recipe from Better Homes and Gardens, and for the butter, I did the box grater trick that I've shared before for pie crusts. So easy, so flaky and light!

And I still have a bit of buttermilk left over to make a salad dressing tonight.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    I use preserved lemon mostly in couscous salads, or to make Moroccan hummus. (Moroccan hummus is one of my 2 favourite hummus variations. Start with the basic recipe, then season with preserved lemon, mint, garlic, cinnamon, cumin, and harissa. You'll never want to go back to ordinary hummus again!)

The raw pad thai, btw, was extremely yum! It's not quite the same comfort food level as "regular" pad thai, because it doesn't have the carb factor, and also because it's cold, but it's very satisfying nonetheless. I plan on making it frequently in the summer. I also like that it can be made ahead, unlike a lot of Raw foods.

vCash
    Hi folks - it's quite warm here in New Joisey and we're having a cool supper - one of my favorites tweaked from a Bobby Flay recipe - even better the next day!

Roast vegetables of your choice in 400 degree F oven for 20-25 minutes until soft and somewhat caramelized - cut into 1.5 inch pieces, drizzle with olive oil, sea salt & pepper and roast away - I use asparagus, yellow squash, red sweet peppers, and whole garlic cloves (enough to cover a cookie sheet).

While those are roasting, toast 1.5 cups of Israeli (aka Grande) couscous until just starting to brown. Add vegetable broth (amount per product directions), bring to boil, then cover and simmer for about 10-12 minutes until tender. Drain any excess liquid.

Make a vinaigrette of 1 small chopped shallot, 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, some lemon zest, salt & pepper to taste, and 1/2-3/4 cup olive oil.

Toss couscous, warm vegetables with roasting juices and vinaigrette together. Once it cools a bit, throw in some crumbled feta if you like.

So delicious and quite pretty as well for entertaining. I've read that quinoa makes a nice substitute for the couscous grande also.

Thunder & Lightning!!!
    vCash
    Had to share this one...

Acorn Squash with Roasted Garlic Custard - Serves 8
    Nutritional Information:
    Serving Size ½
    Calories 147
    Calories from Fat 58
    Total Carbohydrate 18

Ingredients:

• 2 acorn squash (green or orange)
    • 1 tablespoon olive oil
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
    • 1 head elephant garlic (or regular garlic for a stronger taste)
    • 2 1/2 cups milk
    • 3 whole eggs
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Directions:
    • Preheat oven to 375°F using a sharp knife, cut the squash in half lengthwise. Using a sturdy spoon, scoop out the seeds and fibrous membranes.
    • Rub squash halves lightly with half the oil and season with salt, pepper and a sprinkling of brown sugar. Place on a baking sheet. Use the remaining oil to coat the whole garlic bulb. Place it on the tray with the squash.
    • Bake the squash for 30 minutes. Remove and cool to room temperature.
    • Bake the garlic for an hour or until very soft. Remove and cool. Cut the garlic in half and squeeze out the soft cooked garlic into a bowl. Set aside.
    • Meanwhile, in a sauce pan, bring the milk to a simmer. Whisk the eggs and garlic together. Gradually whisk the hot milk into the eggs. Season with the salt, pepper and nutmeg.
    • Prepare a baking dish that will hold all four halves of squash. Pour one cup of water into the bottom. Cut a small sliver off the bottom of each squash to stabilize it in the baking dish. Place the squash in the baking dish, in the water.
    • Pour enough egg mixture into the halved squash to fill the cavity to a half inch from the top. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until custard is firm. Remove from the oven and serve warm. Enjoy!
    Last edited by Gypsy; 05-01-2012 at 01:06 PM.
    Peace & Love, Gypsy
    Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

vCash
    Not. Recipe, but yesterday and today I ate salad made with lettuce I grew myself and picked yesterday and today. first time I ever grew anything and it came out great. Broccoli and carrots to come, and lots more lettuce.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Have you ever had carrots out of a garden? They are amazing. So sweet and delicious. You are going to wish you grew a lot more. They are the best done in a crockpot with a roast, tender and sweet. Mmmm!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I did plant carrots, too, but they won't be ready for another 6 weeks or so.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I have sadly never had success with root veggies. Radishes are supposed to be one of the easiest things to grow, and I tried horseradish too - epic fails!

All I get are spindly, tiny little roots, no matter how I've prepared the soil, given the space, etc. Tips welcome.

Rooting for the Underdogs
    vCash
    I find myself in need of a few recipe suggestions. Someone gave me a 10 pound bag of Vidalia onions. Everyone's given me the obvious suggestions of onion rings (good, but I try not to eat that much fried food) and French onion soup (good, but not for 90 degree weather). I've done a few google searches, but keep largely coming up empty. I thought I'd try here for some ideas.

vCash
    I enjoy cooking but sometimes need short cuts. For the onion, I'd dice them and put half an onion in ziplocks. Then I'd pull as needed.

We use a fresh onion in most dishes - my most fave is roasted until caramelized and soft with evoo, salt and pepper. Simple and delicious. You can add carrots if you are not an onion fan.

http://marly67.wordpress.com/2009/11/19/roasted-onions/

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast