Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    As a matter of fact, I do! I eat this a lot when mangoes are cheap and plentiful. Reminds me though ... I need to make some more vegetarian "fish" sauce.
    Artemis, would you be willing to post the recipe for your vegetarian fish sauce? I'd love to try it!

It's almost asparagus season - what are y'all's favorite ways of cooking asparagus? I only really do it one way - cut into inch-long pieces and blanched, then sauteed with a little garlic and salt and pepper over brown rice. SO good. although I'm thinking about doing an asparagus pizza one of these days, since it's so cheap right now. My favorite little local grocery store had fresh bunches for $1.87 a pound the other day!

I love asparagus - it's probably my favorite vegetable along with brussels sprouts. Those I like to slice in half and put sliced side down with just enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. When they're all nicely browned on the bottom, then I add about half a cm of water/chicken broth, cover, and let them steam

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    ^ Sure thing. Kinda thought someone would ask for it once I mentioned it.

Can't remember where I got this recipe originally, but I think it was one of the vegetarian sites (VegWeb perhaps). It really is invaluable for Thai & Vietnamese vegetarian cooking.

Vegetarian "Fish" Sauce

1 1/2 cup shredded dried seaweed
    4 cups water
    3 very large cloves garlic, smashed but not peeled
    1 1/2 tbsp. black peppercorns
    1/2 cup dark Chinese-style soy sauce
    extra boiling water as needed

Place the seaweed in a pot and add 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat to keep it bubbling along. Cook for 20 minutes.

Add the rest of the ingredients and enough water to make about 6 cups total in the pot. Bring back to a boil, then boil fairly high for at least 1/2 hour. At that point, begin to taste (just a little, though--it's very strong). When the stock is reduced by about half, it will be almost too salty to eat, and that means it is ready. Strain through fine mesh or a coffee filter and allow to cool.

Store in fridge. Will last pretty much forever.

vCash
    Mmmm, I love asparagus sautéed with a little salt and paper, on toast with a poached or sunny side up egg

I also like it will risotta and it salad. Tastes great with a balsamic vinegar-based dressing.

Artemis, I'm also interested in the vegetarian fish sauce recipe. ETA: thanks!
    Last edited by Angelskates; 03-02-2012 at 12:38 AM.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I like to simply roast asparagus in the oven on high heat for about 10 minutes. I usually do them on 500 for 10 minutes but last night I did them on 400 for about 15 minutes and they were the best. Kept more of the crunch yet got more of a roast at the same time. I just drizzle them very very lightly with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    [QUOTE=mkats;3499633]It's almost asparagus season - what are y'all's favorite ways of cooking asparagus? {/QUOTE]

I stumbled on this 17-year-old recipe clipping last week and was pleased with the results. The asparagus I bought was really thick, so I pealed the lower part of each stalk and split the last 2-3" (7-9 cm.) in half. The asparagus came out properly cooked in my old 700-watt microwave. For baby asparagus and/or a more powerful microwave, you should perhaps try a shorter cooking time.

Sorry about the rather vague amounts specified for the ginger and lemon zest. I think next time I'll use more ginger--maybe two 1/4" (0.6 cm.) slices.

Clever Steamed Asparagus (from the Washington Post)

1 lb. fresh asparagus
    2 slices fresh ginger root, minced
    2 strips of lemon zest, 2" (0.8 cm) long
    Vinaigrette (homemade or good-quality bottled)

Seal asparagus, ginger, and lemon zest in ZIP Lock bag. Cook in microwave on medium heat for 4 minutes. Steam will form inside bag.

Open bag carefully and fill with cold water. Let sit for a couple minutes, then drain water. Add vinaigrette to bag and shake gently OR place asparagus on platter and drizzle with vinaigrette.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    So envious of those that already have fresh spring veggies in their markets! We're still on last fall's root vegetables, with just about everything else imported from Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    Chicken Enchiladas with “Tractor Tire Sauce”
    This sounds a lot like a long time favourite of ours from Taste of Home - Chili Chicken Enchiladas.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Vegetarian "Fish" Sauce

1 1/2 cup shredded dried seaweed
    4 cups water
    3 very large cloves garlic, smashed but not peeled
    1 1/2 tbsp. black peppercorns
    1/2 cup dark Chinese-style soy sauce
    extra boiling water as needed

Place the seaweed in a pot and add 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat to keep it bubbling along. Cook for 20 minutes.

Add the rest of the ingredients and enough water to make about 6 cups total in the pot. Bring back to a boil, then boil fairly high for at least 1/2 hour. At that point, begin to taste (just a little, though--it's very strong). When the stock is reduced by about half, it will be almost too salty to eat, and that means it is ready. Strain through fine mesh or a coffee filter and allow to cool.

Store in fridge. Will last pretty much forever.
    Awesome! I don't mind fish sauce, and even my strictly vegan friend is willing to have a tiny bit of it in a dipping sauce, but it's always fun to try and make things like this on your own. I've clipped and saved it for the next time we go to the Asian market so I can pick up seaweed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post

I bought an eggplant today and am dying to try this for dinner.
    I made this Spicy Eggplant and it was just outstanding! Wow. I'll add this to my regular rotation. Thank you very much Mkats. I love eggplant but have had limited success cooking it. One thing I changed was the salting routine--I don't find eggplant bitter and this turned out delicious without salting. It wasn't too hot either, even with the chili/garlic and the jalapeno. Nice balance, and very delicious.

vCash
    Broccoli Slaw Recipe (adapted from Paula Deen)

Ingredients

2 (3 oz.) bags of Ramen noodles
    1/2 cup butter
    2 (12 oz.) bags of broccoli cole slaw (found near the bagged salads; Angelskates, I'm not sure if you'll be able to find this)
    1/2 cup sunflower seeds
    chopped green onions

Dressing:

3/4 cup canola oil
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning (I used basil and garlic)
    1 seasoning packet from Ramen noodles

Crush the ramen noodles in a plastic bag using a rolling pin. Melt butter in a large skillet and and saute the crushed noodles at medium/low heat.
    Meanwhile, whisk together the ingredients for the dressing.
    Place shredded broccoli and sunflower seeds in a bowl and toss with the noodles. Pour dressing over salad and garnish with green onions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I am answering my own question and gonna post the recipe for a Trinidad version of mango salad. I have seen a version of this that includes seeded cucumbers and not her that uses pineapple instead of mangoes.

http://www.canada.com/story_print.ht...6579f&sponsor=
    The base had their annual Coast Guard Black History lunch and the theme was West Indian/Caribbean. There was curried goat and chicken, jerk chicken, Jamaican peas and rice and spinach with groundnut. I liked the spinach with groundnut more than I expected.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    The base had their annual Coast Guard Black History lunch and the theme was West Indian/Caribbean. There was curried goat and chicken, jerk chicken, Jamaican peas and rice and spinach with groundnut. I liked the spinach with groundnut more than I expected.
    Darn now you made me feel hungry!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I made this Spicy Eggplant and it was just outstanding! Wow. I'll add this to my regular rotation. Thank you very much Mkats. I love eggplant but have had limited success cooking it. One thing I changed was the salting routine--I don't find eggplant bitter and this turned out delicious without salting. It wasn't too hot either, even with the chili/garlic and the jalapeno. Nice balance, and very delicious.
    Glad you liked it! I made it that same night and it was very yummy, and even better after a night marinating in the fridge

On the eggplant. I'm intrigued to hear that you don't salt them either. I always see in recipes that salting eggplant is a must, but I never do it and have never had a problem, and nobody I know does it. What gives?

My biggest problem with eggplant is that it soaks up oil so quickly! I've heard that soaking pieces in ice cold water immediately after slicing will help with this, but I never remember this until my eggplant is already in the pot (and probably sticking to the bottom )

ETA: Thanks Artemis for the fish sauce recipe! Can't wait to try it

vCash
    Darn now you made me feel hungry!
    I did not know you were from Trinidad!!! So cool!!! We actually had several Trinidad-born coasties with us last year (they all have transferred), including one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen.

Do you make that shark-n-bake sandwich, Buzz?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
    2 (12 oz.) bags of broccoli cole slaw (found near the bagged salads; Angelskates, I'm not sure if you'll be able to find this)
    What is it? Shredded broccoli? I don't buy bagged stuff anyway, I prefer to do it myself I searched on Google, but all I could find were actual recipes.

vCash
    REX
    I have eaten shark many times, but can't say That I had ever had it in a sandwich. Usually it was with dall and rice.

ARTEMIS
    Thanks for the mango salad recipe!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    What is it? Shredded broccoli? I don't buy bagged stuff anyway, I prefer to do it myself I searched on Google, but all I could find were actual recipes.
    Yes, it is shredded broccoli and it also includes shredded red cabbage and carrots. Good for you for shredding it yourself! I usually prefer to do everything myself, but I draw the line at that. I'm not sure how many stalks it would take to get that volume so I'm curious as to what you do.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    On the eggplant. I'm intrigued to hear that you don't salt them either. I always see in recipes that salting eggplant is a must, but I never do it and have never had a problem, and nobody I know does it. What gives?
    Same with cucumber. Most recipes say to salt, let stand then rinse and drain. I never do - just slice or chop and go. I *might* pat them a bit if I'm making a cucumber tea sandwich.

Similarly, I never peel/scrape the ribs off celery. I've never found them to be a problem in cooking or eating, and it seems a bit of a waste. Then again I use the leaves too.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
    Yes, it is shredded broccoli and it also includes shredded red cabbage and carrots. Good for you for shredding it yourself! I usually prefer to do everything myself, but I draw the line at that. I'm not sure how many stalks it would take to get that volume so I'm curious as to what you do.
    Can't you just throw it all in a food processor?

Fully understand the convenience of bagged veggies, but personally they gross me out. They often smell musty, and I learned that they can be washed with ammonia and other anti-bacterials/preservatives and companies do not have to report it on the packaging - not to mention the processing machines and the plastic. Logically, you have to wonder how a bag of cut veggies can have an expiry date 6 weeks away, when there's no way veggies you cut yourself would last that long ...

I know this is against the grain, but I actually like preparing veggies. The washing and cutting is kinda zen, like knitting or something.

vCash
    REX
    I have eaten shark many times, but can't say That I had ever had it in a sandwich. Usually it was with dall and rice.
    I read where shark-n-bake is one of Trinidad's national dishes...
    What is dall?

vCash
    Oh I read that a lot too and many people eat it I am sure but I have only ever heard and seen it on tv. LOL. My spelling as usual is a bit off but here you go, a dhal recipe.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/bengali-dhal/

vCash

Another take on asparagus

I adore roasted asparagus (sprinkled with olive oil and S&P, 400 degree oven, 10-20 mins depending on the size), but this recipe is a delicious caloric splurge:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...ancetta-358490

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast