Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

FSU Chefs Unite (Recipes Thread Part II)

(Forgive me if I missed it - but it doesn't look like anyone started another thread after the original one closed)

I've gotten addicted to Pinterest recently... such a great source of recipes and crafts! Some of my favorites as of late:

French Onion Soup - Made this for dinner last night, had enough left over for breakfast, and it was . I ended up committing the cardinal sin of not reading the recipe all the way through before starting, so when I got to the part that required 90 minutes of cooking I skimped and only let it cook for about 43 minutes (or the length of your average Desperate Housewives episode). Still fantastic!

Bloomin' Onion Bread - one of my best friends' favorite restaurant is Outback Steakhouse, so when I saw this recipe I thought it would be perfect to make for our get-together. I swapped out the monterey jack for fresh mozzarella based on popular vote, and the hardest part of making it was not eating all the cheese before the bread went into the oven!

Creamy Chicken Marsala Pasta - just oodles of goodness.

I bought an eggplant today and am dying to try this for dinner.

I've also been doing a lot of composting all winter with all of my vegetable scraps, so I should have a good load ready for spring (the eggplants and basil seedlings are sitting in a sunny windowsill as I speak). Normally I freeze the scraps so they break down faster, but I noticed that everything needed watering today, so I boiled them all down, used that water to water all of my plants, and then dumped the scraps into the compost pile. Might as well get everything out of it

What is everyone else cooking up?

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    OMG, I am a Pinterest freak. I want to make EVERYTHING! I have a collection that is growing larger every day of things I want to make. I am really into baking recently so most of them are baking recipes but not all.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    (Forgive me if I missed it - but it doesn't look like anyone started another thread after the original one closed)
    Can somebody post a link to that one? Thanks

I've gotten addicted to Pinterest recently...
    I wish I didn't look it up... That's the kind of site I can spend hours and hours on

vCash
    Here you go: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=68465

No one's cooking anything interesting?

vCash
    Anyone have a nice Thai Mango salad recipe?

vCash
    Apple Pie Baked in the Apples I'm totally trying this!!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I marinated some pork chops in buttermilk over night and I am about to cook them. Can I just throw them on the heat if they still have buttermilk on them or does it need to be almost rinsed off?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I would just pat them dry with paper towels. Let us know how the chops turn out!

vCash
    Here you go: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=68465

No one's cooking anything interesting?
    Thanks

If people have simple, quick, no hassle, few ingredients and yet, delicious and nutritionally balanced one pot recipes, please post

vCash
    Oh Angelskates I saw that and I'm super excited to try it too!

I really want to make this at some point: Mozzarella, Basil, Avocado and Tomato salad

On a random kitchen note, Boyfriend LOVES to bake and was horrified to find that I don't own a rubber spatula (I don't bake). I told him to use his finger. We argued about this briefly, and then I found a rubber spatula shaped like a finger at Sur la Table (the most awesome shop ever, by the way) and bought it for him for Valentine's Day.

vCash
    I am answering my own question and gonna post the recipe for a Trinidad version of mango salad. I have seen a version of this that includes seeded cucumbers and not her that uses pineapple instead of mangoes.

http://www.canada.com/story_print.ht...6579f&sponsor=

From the Bloc
    vCash
    We're just back from Jamaica and now determined to make proper Rice and Peas ourselves. I have several recipes, but if anyone has their own - particularly a family favourite of anyone of Caribbean descent - I'd be most grateful.

We've also made jerk seasoning before, and there are some decent bottled brands around, but we'd like to try it again from scratch. Again, lots of recipes are available, but if anyone is willing to share their family I'd love to hear it!

vCash
    I'm from Trinidad and never heard of Jerk Chicken until I came to Canada. But I can help you with a recipe for rice and peas.

RICE & PEAS
    1. Brown rice
    2. Crushed garlic
    3. Diced onions
    4. Diced carrots
    5. Cooked pigeon peas ( green peas or red beans will do just as nicely )
    6. Coconut milk diluted in tap water
    7. Cilantro or parsley finely chopped
    8. Jalapeño peppers - diced with seeds removed
    9. 1.5 tsp brown sugar
    10. 2 tbsp of oil

Heat oil in large saucepan using moderate heat. Keep a steady eye on he oil and put sugar in the oil to carmelise. Dilute coconut milk in enough water to steam the amount of rice you want. I find it useful if the mixture is boiling hot already and just waiting to be used. When sugar is dark brown (NOT BLACKENED!) thrown in washed rice and sauté. Toss in other dry ingredients and mix, let cook for about a minute. Then add the hot coconut milk and hot water. Try not to stir the rice mixture too much. Let cook under low to moderate heat until the rice s cooked aldente style and liquid is absorbed. The secret is in not over cooking the rice, or burning the sugar too much, so it helps if you are use to steaming rice on the stove top. There is a version of this using chicken. Just put in meat in first and let cook a while in it's own juices then add the rice etc. GOOD LUCK!
    Last edited by Buzz; 02-29-2012 at 03:25 PM.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    This recipe sounds delicious, and I love that it's with brown rice! Will definitely try this version - thanks also for the detailed tips.

vCash
    Thanks Buzz, I love new vegetarian dishes (since I'm vegetarian ) and this one sounds yum!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    Thanks Buzz, I love new vegetarian dishes (since I'm vegetarian ) and this one sounds yum!
    I made "Broccoli Slaw" for a work potluck luncheon today and it was delicious! It's vegetarian and I think you'd like it. Let me know if you'd like me to post/link to the recipe.

vCash
    Yes, please!

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Anyone have a nice Thai Mango salad recipe?
    As a matter of fact, I do! I eat this a lot when mangoes are cheap and plentiful. Reminds me though ... I need to make some more vegetarian "fish" sauce.

Thai Mango Salad

2 limes
    1 tbsp (15 mL) soy sauce or fish sauce
    1 tbsp (15 mL) granulated sugar
    1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced OR 1/2 tsp (2 mL) hot red chili flakes
    2 tbsp (30 mL) peanut oil
    Salt to taste
    2 ripe but firm mangoes
    2 sweet peppers, preferably 1 red and 1 yellow
    1 medium carrot, coarsely grated
    2 green onions
    1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped fresh mint or coriander
    8 cups (2 L) mixed lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces if necessary
    1/3 cup (75 mL) toasted peanuts, coarsely chopped

Finely grate peel from 1 lime and place in a measuring cup along with 1/4 cup (50 mL) lime juice. Whisk in soy sauce, sugar, and jalapeño pepper until sugar is dissolved. Gradually whisk in peanut oil until blended. Add salt to taste. Set aside. Peel mango, then cut away chunks of fruit from pit. Cut into thin strips and place in a bowl. Seed peppers and cut into thin strips and add to mango. Coarsely grate carrot and thinly slice onions and add to bowl along with mint. Toss gently until combined. Place lettuce and mango mixture in a large bowl. Toss with dressing until mixed. Serve on a platter or in a large salad bowl. Sprinkle with nuts.

Makes 8-10 servings.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Chicken Enchiladas with “Tractor Tire Sauce”

This recipe came to us from our friends in Santa Fe, NM. The “Tractor Tire Sauce” is named such because you could put this stuff on a tractor tire and it’s so good you’d eat it!

Ingredients:

THE SAUCE:
    4 tablespoons butter
    ¼ cup of flour
    2 cups of heated chicken stock
    Salt and white pepper to taste
    ½ cup of diced green chilies
    1 cup of sour cream

THE ENCHILADAS:
    12 medium sized corn enchiladas (taste better than flour!)
    1 package of skinless boneless chicken thighs or 3 large breasts
    Cumin, salt and white pepper
    1 cup of chopped green chilies
    2 cups of shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
    Olive oil

Make the sauce: It can be made in advance and kept in the fridge. First melt the butter in a saucepan and add flour-make a roux. Add salt, white pepper, and when the roux is ready, pour in the chilies and chicken stock. Stir to thicken. Once thick, remove from heat and add 1 cup of sour cream. Stir in and put aside or in fridge.

Bake the chicken at 350 until done, covered with a dusting of cumin, salt and white pepper to taste. Cool and debone, chopping the meat into small pieces.

Combine the chopped chicken with 1 and ¾ cups of the cheese and the cup of chopped green chilies.

Heat enough oil in a pan to cover the bottom but not too much. Spray Pam or other brands do not work for this. Use real oil! Heat the oil to very hot. Take each tortilla and cook for about 5 seconds on each side. This makes the tortillas easier to roll. Return to a plate and put about 1/8 to ¼ cup of filling down the center and roll up. Please in a greased casserole dish. Repeat until your filling is used up or the dish is full.

Spread sauce on top, cover with remaining cheese (you can always add more cheese) and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Save any left-over sauce you don’t use for another time. Freeze it and use later on chicken breasts, fish, veggies, etc.

vCash
    Thank you so much Artemis!

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast