Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    The DAR Museum was fabulous. No, I'm not into geneology or a DAR person, but I was told to try it out when I was up there a few years ago.

It is free, and it has a tour which consists of individually decorated rooms for each state in the union. The individual states used artifacts, antiques, and memorabilia to create a snapshot of their state during one period of history. Some were backwoods. Some were Victorian era. Some were colonial.

One thing that blew my mind was in the Massachusetts room, they had a tea chest from the Boston Tea Party. It was beautiful! I didn't know tea chests were decorated. I also loved the New Jersey room. It had pieces of wood that had been found underwater which were parts of gunrunning boats from the American Revolution. They had been repurposed into artwork.

If you like history, I recommend it. It also has the nation's largest library for geneologists. I don't have Tombstone Twitch, so I didn't care about that but it was impressive.

Here's a link to the tour of rooms:

http://www.dar.org/museum/room_tour.cfm

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Washington is well known for its Ethiopian restaurants. I don't have any specific recommendations, but I do know that the Adams Morgan neighborhood does have some good ones.
    I live in "Little Ethiopia" -- you want to go to U Street and walk it from 16th to 9th. It's a historically black neighborhood, now very diverse, and in addition to the Ethiopian food there's the famous Ben's Chili Bowl and just about every other cuisine. Much better than Georgetown which is now mostly chain stores, I'm sure you have Pottery Barn and Banana Republic at home.

Vintage clothing stores on U, too. It's on the Metro Green Line.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Go bicycling, Bailey.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    This was in the Washington Post: may be helpful

How to get into top Attractions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
    If you're there on a Friday night, go see the Capitol Steps. It's hilarious musical political satire. Always a great show, and there should be lots of great material since it's an election year.
    I HAVE to see this group this year. They are really funny, and with all their new material, it is sure to be side-splitting/crying hilarious regardless of how the election turns out. Hoping they come my way by year's end.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12