Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    I will second this one! I saw this while flipping channels. I had no idea what the story was about and was both angry and sobbing like a baby at the end for hours afterwards. The story was beautifully told, but so tragic and sad.
    Oh goodness. Thanks for the heads up. I looked up the Zachary movie and will avoid it if I come across it. I can't take that kind of stuff.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Let It Snow
    vCash
    That would be Precious.
    I think I never saw anything more tragic. Because it didn't have to be like that.
    The next door tragedy. The people progressed countries let sink every day, while they're after bigger cars. The ugly that was worth nothing. The awful tricks life plays you. Those times when you just cannot make it, no matter how hard you try, even if you always made the good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimena View Post
    The other ones that come immediately to mind are The English Patient and Brokeback Mountain.
    Brokeback Mountain makes me weep like a baby. Weep, I tell you.
    Brokeback Mountain is one of my all time favourites (not my absolute number one). There's certainly a lot of pain, but I never perceived it like a tragedy. I think though it's the best love story ever on screen.

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I was surprised to see Everything Is Illuminated advertised as a comedy. Sure, it had lots of hilarious moments but the denouement is
    That movie was such a roller coaster. There are scenes during which I split my sides in laughter, but yes, the resolution of the undercurrent of the movie is darker than dark.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DAngel View Post
    I wonder if the degree of how tragic it is depends on whether

Spoiler

It's a lot like the Little Mermaid (original version) and whether you believe in souls and the afterlife...
    Surely a story can both end tragically and posit an afterlife for the character. I would cite martyrdom stories like Lady Jane (mentioned upthread), A Man for All Seasons, and The Passion of Joan of Arc as examples.

In Pan's Labyrinth, however, the "afterlife" isn't real within the context of the frame story or even in the protagonist's understanding.

Spoiler

vCash
    Sarah's Key

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    In Pan's Labyrinth, however, the "afterlife" isn't real within the context of the frame story or even in the protagonist's understanding.

Spoiler

Del Toro said it's real...

Now objectively, the way I structured it, there are three clues in the movie that tell you where I stand. I stand in that it's real. The most important clues are the flower at the end, and the fact that there's no way other than the chalk door to get from the attic to the Captain's office.

[...]

Objectively, those two clues tell you it's real. The third clue is she's running away from her stepfather, she reaches a dead end, by the time he shows up she's not there. Because the walls open for her. So sorry, there are clues that tell you where I stand and I stand by the fantasy. Those are objective things if you want. The film is a Rorschach test of where people stand.

vCash
    Shoah
    The Diary of Anne Frank
    Wuthering Heights (Ralph Finnes version)
    The House of Mirth
    Grave of the Fireflies
    On the Beach
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Even though it goes unsaid in the film, I understood that.

In the book, does the Nazi family discover that Bruno snuck into the camp? Was the mother as troubled by what was going on, in the book? Did you get the impression that she wanted to leave to protect her children or because she was disgusted by what her husband was doing, or both?
    They find the clothes by the fence much later, like months later. The mother and Lt. Kotler are having an affair (this is why he gets sent away) and she drinks to deal with what's happening. It's a fast read. You should check it out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DAngel View Post
    If you want to go that route, there are other clues too, like the stick insect shown in the opening sequence before Ofelia finds it. I would still say that all of the instances of the faun's world seeping into "reality" are figments of Ofelia's imagination. (And I wouldn't necessarily take Del Toro's remarks at face value.)

It's still hard to see how a movie that

Spoiler

is anything but tragic, even if you believe that

Spoiler

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    There's not enough money in the world to get me to see War Horse. I'm with you -- animals dying (or even aliens, I went through about twenty napkins during ET) just kills me. I couldn't even rewatch Bambi when my daughter was small..
    Warhorse has a happy ending, PRlady. And it's a film worth seeing - beautifully filmed and the horse is a true star.

Also loved "Once Were Warriors" but didn't think of it as a tragedy although it had some tragic moments - but it too had a happy ending though empowering might be a better word.

The two films that immediately came to mind when I saw this thread were "Bridges of Madison County" and "Far From Heaven".

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind also fits in the tragic category for me. I can't believe they file it under the comedy category at Blockbuster. Even though they struggle through the whole move to recover each other, I'm left with the idea that they are just going to repeat the same things.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Brokeback Mountain has me in every time I watch it.

Loved Black Swan and I think that qualifies too.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    I think The Way We Were was advertised as a romance and I thought Robert Redford of that era beautiful. I loved that Katie was not who you would imagine for Hubble so it was sad how the relationship came apart.

vCash
    Damage (1992) - the only movie I have ever seen where neither of the main characters are in the least bit sympathetic.
    Mystic River - Forgot about this one!
    Blood Diamonds
    Shutter Island
    The Departed
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    Garden of the Finzi-Continis
    The Last Emperor
    Sweetie

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind also fits in the tragic category for me. I can't believe they file it under the comedy category at Blockbuster. Even though they struggle through the whole move to recover each other, I'm left with the idea that they are just going to repeat the same things.
    Hmm, I never thought of that movie as tragic, even when they're going through all the bad memories. I love it because to me it's so hopeful. Just goes to show how people can view the same movie in very divergent ways.

Tragic movies I actually liked are Malcolm X, A Streetcar Named Desire, Vertigo (the ending chokes me up everytime), Water, Kal Ho Naa Ho and North and South (which is technically a miniseries and ends on a happy note but the route to that happy ending is filled with so much tragedy that one wonder how Gaskell managed to create a happy ending in the first place).
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    IIt's still hard to see how a movie that

Spoiler

is anything but tragic, even if you believe that

Spoiler

I don't know... It makes it less tragic for me...

vCash
    Another one that is absolutely tragic in every way possible is 'The Bridge.'

It's a documentary about suicide off the Golden gate Bridge in San Francisco. They filmed the bridge for 12 months and somehow found out who the people were who jumped off and followed-up with their families about their stories.

One young man that they interviewed survived the jump and another one was fascinated with jumping off the bridge and did it while the film was being made.

I'm still haunted by this film and I saw it 4-5 years ago but it is so poignant...respectfully done and tells such an important message.
    I'm not spoiled...I deserve all my stuff.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    I think The Way We Were was advertised as a romance and I thought Robert Redford of that era beautiful. I loved that Katie was not who you would imagine for Hubble so it was sad how the relationship came apart.
    Oh my gosh, that final scene makes me so sad everytime. You can just feel how much they still love each other, but it just can't be...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    Garden of the Finzi-ContinisThe Last Emperor
    Sweetie
    Agree. That scene where the Finzi-Continis are forced out of their house is heart-breaking. Also, the scene where Giorgio sees Micol and Bruno in bed together, and Micol stares back at Giorgio with that long, icy stare...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast