Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Stars on Ice

vCash
    My DVR captured a 1hr version of the tour (luckily as it's over 500 miles to the nearest tour date for me), and I just have to put in my 2 cents. Kurt Browning and Ilya Kulik are ridiculous. At 15 years (give and take respectively) past their "competitive prime", I was so blown away by their skill.

On a side note, it prompted me to head over to youtube and revisit Kurt Browning's Nyah from 11 years ago, which is still a mighty fine piece of work. If I could only watch three programs for the rest of my life, this would be on the list.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0Izl1CA1uA

vCash
    Nyah represents Kurt - and exhibition skating - at it's finest,

vCash
    My San Jose Stars on Ice photos are up: San Jose Stars on Ice.

I was shooting from the hockey penalty box, and therefore the on-ice people's heads got into a number of my shots, so apologies for the black lumps. I also didn't even try to shoot the four guys' "Waiting for My Real Life To Begin" number due to low lighting. I just watched, mesmerized .

Anyway, enjoy the shots!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Teenes View Post
    Anyway, enjoy the shots!
    Fantastic photos, as always, Teenes, and thanks so much for sharing!!!

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    I also didn't even try to shoot the four guys' "Waiting for My Real Life To Begin" number due to low lighting. I just watched, mesmerized .
    This is one of my favorite numbers, one I could watch over and over again. (I just returned from Pittsburgh.) This year, imo, the group numbers and transitions stole the show.

The Kerrs are wonderful additions to the cast, and it is so good to see Ina and Zimmerman back!

vCash
    Is the name of the song Joannie skated to Formidable? I absolutely loved this song and number.

vCash
    The four guys number is worth the price of admission!! It is just gorgeous - beautifully conceived, beautifully done.

Ilia isn't in that number so you can imagine how good it must be for ME to say that... It really is something special - kudos to Kurt. It can be done, he did it so why can't more of the show be as good? Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed myself and think the whole show was a lovely evening but like all shows, there are highs and lows - this number only told me that there could have been more highs. The talent is there.
    Last edited by Willowway; 03-13-2012 at 01:46 AM.

vCash
    Just got back from the Chicago show yesterday! such a great show, glad we made the drive to see it!! More details as soon as I catch up on sleep. Some memorable moments, Rolling in the Deep was AWESOME! so was the UP group number! Katia's my favorite, and she was awesome, despite a bad fall on her double axel in the first half, but she nailed it the second time. Man Ilia has not lost it, he can still jump! Ryan Bradley hit a HUGE triple axel in his second number. I am in LOVE with John Kerr!!!! Great to have Kyoko and John back, "Fly High and Say Bye!" and there head banger moves are crazy scary!!

Kristi Yamaguchi was in town signing her new children's book. Her line was pretty long, so we didn't get it; but I heard a little girl ask her mom who she was, and then I felt old!!!

haha! all in all good show! it wasn't very full, which has me worried because last year in Minneapolis/St. Paul it was empty, so I kind of figured they wouldn't come back, but I thought Chicago would be a huge crowd, and sadly it was not! Tons of people taking flash photos though, that DRIVES me crazy!!! the skaters could seriously get hurt! ugh! but fun show!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    The four guys number is worth the price of admission!! It is just gorgeous - beautifully conceived, beautifully done.

Ilia isn't in that number so you can imagine how good it must be for ME to say that... It really is something special - kudos to Kurt. It can be done, he did it so why can't more of the show be as good? Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed myself and think the whole show was a lovely evening but like all shows, there are highs and lows - this number only told me that there could have been more highs. The talent is there.
    Two things.

1. Not to discount Kurt's contribution to the number but he also had the help of dancer Linda Garneau in choreographing the number, and I believe from one of her tweets she had both Kurt and Jeff Buttle there to try it on.

2. Ridiculously limited rehearsal time. They had just three days together to learn the whole show and actually see if the choreography workd on a large group of people. Kurt even videotaped himself doing all the choreography for each part to mail the skaters so they could try to learn the steps before rehearsals in Lake Placid. Three days is just one day longer than they have for Disson shows.

vCash
    Ridiculously limited rehearsal time
    Tina, well aware of that. I wasn't questionning Kurt or Jeff, etc. - I was challenging the working model they were given although I know it was an economic necessity. Maybe they earned a whole week next time if economics can support it - they could certainly do a job! And an extra hand to Linda!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joemauerlover View Post
    Just got back from the Chicago show yesterday! such a great show, glad we made the drive to see it!! ... all in all good show! it wasn't very full, which has me worried because last year in Minneapolis/St. Paul it was empty, so I kind of figured they wouldn't come back, but I thought Chicago would be a huge crowd, and sadly it was not!!
    I hate to hear that the crowd was not very good. I went to the Chicago SOI show in 2010 & 2011 and it was a large & very enthusiastic crowd. I was unable to fit this year's SOI in my schedule. I had hoped to go to next year's Chicago SOI show; however, if the crowd was real bad this year, they may opt for another city next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    I hate to hear that the crowd was not very good. I went to the Chicago SOI show in 2010 & 2011 and it was a large & very enthusiastic crowd. I was unable to fit this year's SOI in my schedule. I had hoped to go to next year's Chicago SOI show; however, if the crowd was real bad this year, they may opt for another city next year.
    One of the big reasons must have been the fact that Evan Lysacek skated in Chigaco SOI in those years.

vCash
    Hard to believe the U.S. tour is almost over..only two more shows I'm heading to Portland Friday. Some of the downtown Portland hotels are booked solid, so unless there is something else going on in Portland, maybe the crowd will be better up there! Looks like I may have to stay a bit farther away from the arena than I wanted to.

vCash
    My photos from the Seattle show last week: Seattle Stars on Ice Photos
    These are absolutely gorgeous, thank you for sharing. I am glad you had fun

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to write reviews. I really enjoy reading them

vCash
    I also want to thank everyone for their reviews, and Teenes for the wonderful photos.

I really wish I could have seen the show this year, it sounds like it was very good. I usually drive up to Cleveland (hometown) and see the show with Mom, but no show there this time.

vCash
    Portland show had good attendance and the crowd was enthusiastic! The group numbers were even better now than in Lake Placid! Kurt and Jeff Buttle did an amazing job choreographing the show this year! The guys number "Waiting for My Real Live to Begin" is very artistic, makes you feel like your watching something special! The choreography in "Rolling in the Deep" and the finale "Dog Days are Over" is just crazy good!!

Individual numbers that I found most impressive: Ilia Kulik's two programs...he still skates as strong as he ever did! Huge jumps, lots of speed and smiling from ear to ear the whole time...he looks like he's having the time of his life out there! Joannie Rochette's second number was WOW!! That's new since the Lake Placid show and I don't know the name of the song, but man it was good! Kyoko & John with their amazing tricks that they make look so easy and seemless! Todd's "Waiter's Gallop" is so much fun and fast paced. Sasha seems to be playing more to the crowd in "Big Spender" even without jumps it's a great program and she sells it to the crowd, lots of energy. I love seeing Kurt skate live, he really plays off the crowd...he had a fall in his 2nd program "Feeling Good" and he played it off so well! Love his expressions! Katia is just gorgeous and I loved her costume for her "Feeling Good" number she also had a fall, but recovered quickly. Sarah Hughes guest skated and stumbled or tripped on her very first movement, and the lady sitting next to me said "she's gotten old"
    I have twitter on my phone, so I was tweering during the show, some of the skaters even tweeted me back during intermission...it was funny to think they were all back stage with their phones in hand tweeting...it made the show interactive for me Who ever runs the "stars on Ice" twitter account even replied to & re-tweeted my tweet!

It's sad to see another season come to an end. I sure hope Stars On Ice is able to find a sponsor and return next year with Kurt directing again!

vCash
    Thanks, Skamper. Was Sarah in the show?

vCash
    Sarah Hughes only skated one number"What I Did for Love" in the second half and then came back out for bows after the finale.

I want to also say that the Kerr's and Ryan Bradley are great additions to the cast this year. They are great show skaters who love to play to the crowd!!

I also caught a cute moment in the finale between Ilia & Katia. He is swinging her around and they are face to face and Katia sticks her tongue out at him! We were cracking up over that one

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skamper23 View Post
    Sarah Hughes only skated one number"What I Did for Love" in the second half and then came back out for bows after the finale.

I want to also say that the Kerr's and Ryan Bradley are great additions to the cast this year. They are great show skaters who love to play to the crowd!!

I also caught a cute moment in the finale between Ilia & Katia. He is swinging her around and they are face to face and Katia sticks her tongue out at him! We were cracking up over that one
    Thanks, skamper!

vCash
    At what part of the show did Sarah skate? What did she do? Any jumps, spirals, leaps?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast