Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stars on Ice

vCash
    Great show review from the Seattle Times:
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...rmid=head_main

"Kurt Browning's legion of local admirers can tell you what a great skater he is. But this Browning fan had no idea, before attending the 2012 Stars on Ice extravaganza Saturday night at KeyArena, what a swell choreographer-director he is.
    Browning whipped up this year's edition of the annual tour of figure skating and ice-dancing champs into one of the sleekest, smoothest shows in years for the franchise.
    Instead of the usual canned jokes and the variable slapstick clowning, Browning has imaginatively mined the strengths of his glittering cast — including Olympic favorites Ilia Kulik, Sasha Cohen and Ekaterina Gordeeva, and 2011 U.S. champion Ryan Bradley — with fresh, creative routines well-matched to a vibrant score of pop tunes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Skatefan View Post
    These are tough economic times.
    I am fully aware that these are tough economic times. The downturn in the economy has been going on for many years. However, the down economy did not appear to affect the attendance at the 2010 & 2012 Chicago SOI shows that I attended. Both shows had near sell-out crowds with almost all of the on ice seats sold. Therefore, it is not a good sign if ticket sales in Chicago are down this year.

vCash
    What a great review by the Times.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    I am fully aware that these are tough economic times. The downturn in the economy has been going on for many years. However, the down economy did not appear to affect the attendance at the 2010 & 2012 Chicago SOI shows that I attended. Both shows had near sell-out crowds with almost all of the on ice seats sold. Therefore, it is not a good sign if ticket sales in Chicago are down this year.
    Last year they had the hometown hero, Evan Lysacek. Without him this year, it will be a tough sell.
    Last edited by seabm7; 02-28-2012 at 01:19 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by seabm7 View Post
    Last year they had the hometown hero, Evan Lysacek. Without him this year, it will be a tough sell.
    Good point. I didn't think of that.

vCash
    I went to the shows in Seattle and Wenatchee. The both shows were reasonably well packed, I think. Seattle crowd was rather loud and Wenatchee crowd was very loud, especially if you consider the size of the arena. No standing ovations though, except for sporadic ones.

Some pictures of Seattle shows by my point-and-shoot camera.
    http://twilog.org/tmidorin/date-120228

Act I

Cast: A Suite for Stars
    Throughout the program they play pre-recorded skaters voice as they act and skate along the words.
    In the firs time I could not really follow both the words and the skaing but that's probably because I still cannot process English words without focusing to them.
    It is a rather short number but for the years I had attended none of the opening numbers was really long.

Ekaterina Gordeeva: Love Will Keep us Together
    The transition from the opening to this number is great. When I saw this program for the first time I did not really like the song while Katia made it ok. Then watching the program three times, now hte song sounds cheerful and exciting to me. How can you do it, Katia!??

I like that they put Katia here; one of the best skaters from the cast skates at first. They also did so in Japan Tour with Daisuke or Shizuka. After only two programs, the opening and the first solo, you'd already be glad you came to the show and all the rest would feel like extra bonus. I think that raises the level of excitement throughout the show.

Transition
    Through the Act I, there are short transition numbers of guys here and there. Ilia is a comic and he is really good at it. I like them a lot.
    Especially the first one here between Katia and I/Z was funny. Although you cannot see what's funny with Ilia's costume if your seat is on the side of the tunnel. It is just not visble because during this transition they kept facing the other side and never turn around. It makes you a bit left out.

Kyoko Ina & John Zimmerman: Johnny Got a Boom Boom
    The one Kyoko jumps over John is simply awesome.
    Generally they do much better than in Japan Tour but still I occasionally see some hint of hesitation and uncentainness, which make me feel scared.

Kurt Browning: I'm Yours
    Luckily I saw this programs a lot of times in person plus many many times more on TV, and it is just getting better.

Sasha Cohen: Dos Gardenlas
    I do not really recall how the program was like other than the costume and some Sasha moves but I remember enjoyed it.

Ryan Bradley: Footloose
    I think Ryan needs a better program. His smile is very charming, his moves are convincing and he can draw the crowd in very well, but his programs feel very repetitious and even boring after the first minute.

Transtion
    Ilia was doing a very cute transition here. Does anyone know what he said in Russian? (it was Russian, right? Something before "triple salchow.")

Joannie Rochette: Formidable
    The program looks more smooth than in Japan Tour. In both shows her hair got loose down during the programs and I was wondering if it was intentional.

Todd Eldredge: The Waiter's Gallop
    It is the funniest program by Todd I have ever seen.
    Started with Kurt shouting at someone then gets off the ice. A lady (or grand-ma) on my right in Wenatchee did not notice Todd is on the other side of the ice but kept looking for Kurt coming back.

Sinead & John Kerr: Exogenesis: Symphony Part 3
    I just love this program. Just beautiful.
    The lady on my right said "I do not know who they are and I do not think I have ever heard of them" rather loud. Then she got very excited after the program. She asked me where they came from but she did not understand when I said "Scotland" (prob. my pronunciation) so I told her they're British. Then she asked me how I could know about them. Urrm, because I am not from US, perhaps?

After they bow they start skating to another music and when you start wondering if they'd skate two program in a row Ilia comes out and continues to the music.

Ilia Kulik: Who Wants to Live Forever?
    Ilia is one of the biggest reasons I made this trip across the ocean.
    Most SOI cast has amazing skating skills and even in the cast Ilia's skating stands out. I really love how he gets speed with just two strokes. And other moves. And he is a great performer.

Cast: Rolling in the Deep
    Best group number of this tour and perhaps the best in a few years. Very well woven in a program. In Japan Tour there were some messy parts but now it is really great.
    There are many part I really love and here are some of them:
    - the begining part with three guys
    - the part Joannie and Sinead put Katia forward toward Kurt
    - the part Ilia joins and goes through the cast as if pushing others aside
    - the part they cross each other like the shape of the letter alpha
    - the part the circle breaks to the outside
    - the part ladies in V shape goes on a leg with moving arms
    - the part all in a line and go straight with making blade noises
    - the part all in two line and go straight with arm moves

Act II

Cast: A Life Loved
    The lady on my right kept wondering who's the old guy on the chair. First she guessed it's Ilia for the first minute because of the height and all. Then figured out it's Todd.

John K. would have never imagined that he would ever propose to Sinead.
    In Seattle I did not notice that each couple repeats the same stuff, like linking arms. In Wenatchee it was more onvious but still did not notice some of them.
    In Seattle there was a loud kid in the crowd and other audience gave laughter to something the kid says, no related at all to thing on ice.

Transition
    Through the Act II, girls kept flirting guys befoe their solo.

Ryan Bradley: The Best is Yet to Come
    Again, I think Ryan needs a better program. Besides, please make the programs a bit more omnidirectional; they are not for the judges anymore.

Sinead & John Kerr: Pencil Full of Lead
    I think they changed some of the choreographs between Seattle and Wenatchee. I do not see the theme of the program but it's a lot of fun anyway.

Joannie Rochette: Indestructible
    She used an old costume from ... what was the name of the program?? A few years back, the one escaping from the tied wrists. The feel of the program is somewhat similar to the old one with the costume.
    As the costume is not ready, the program does not look quite ready yet, like, during footworks she looks like not really performing but just doing the footworks.

Transition
    Three girls flirt Todd. Sinead even puts the tongue out and Todd looks like not moved at all.

Todd Eldredge: Amazed
    It's always great to see Todd skating smoothly.

Ryan Bradley, Kurt Browning, John Kerr, John Zimmerman: Waiting for my Real Life to Begin
    Perhaps this is the highdlight of the show. Especially the part Kurt goes around the lights in spread eagle is breathtaking.

Big Spender Sasha Cohen
    Sasha really sells the program everytime she performs this.

Transision
    Three girls flirts Ilia and lures him out from the ice, then Katia pushes him back to the ice.

Love in this Club Ilia Kulik
    The program in the Act I was the classic Ilia and this is the contemporary Ilia. I just love both. He flys on the ice, does not he.

Take Me There Kyoko Ina & John Zimmerman
    I think they added a move to the program after Japan Tour.

Ekaterina Gordeeva: Feelin' Good
    Katia's skating is also very special and every move of her is just beautiful,. Besides she lands a double lutz in Wenatchee. (not sure if she did in Seattle as I was taking pictures there)

After the bow Kurt comes in with wearing a hat and with pre-recorded voices he hand the hat to Katia. She puts it on and then leaves it on the ice, near the short end. I like how these two program go in a row.

Kurt Browning: Feeling Good
    Same song as the one Katia skated but this is a strong and bare feeling version.
    It is a very cool program with some aggressiveness, and I love it a lot.
    The costume color is purple while it looks like blue on most pictures. (Or is it my display?)
    During pre-show warm up in Wenatchee he was struggling with jumps. Then during the real program at the first jump of 2A-2A sequence he landed a very clean one and looked like he was surprised. Then messed up landing of the second 2A.

Cast: Dog Days are Over
    It looks like a very complicated program because most of the times I saw this program, one or two of the cast faces a wrong direction in the program

In Wenatchee I saw Kurt hiking up the pants. He was not wearing a belt. He said the quick change did not work.

It looks like Wenatchee ice had a patch of bad ice and skaters kept making random falls or wobbles there.

vCash
    Thanks for the great review Midori

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    Midori, After reading what you've written, I can not wait to see the show in Pittsburgh. I am happy to hear that both the Washington shows were well attended; I was a little concerned they would not be.

From everything I read, Kurt Browning put a cohesive unit together with this marvelous cast. I'm really happy SOI decided to use his talents wisely.

vCash
    Thanks for the review & pictures Midori! I see Sasha is now doing two numbers, when I saw the show in Lake Placid she only did Big Spender & Group numbers.

vCash
    Thanks again for the reviews .... my husband and I are looking forward to the Anaheim show this weekend. (We haven't even gotten our tickets yet; we are getting them Saturday afternoon at the box office and will have dinner on the 30 bucks saved by not paying the Ticketmaster fees.

Serial Lurker
    vCash
    Livingsocial has tickets to Saturday's show at HP Pavillion in San Jose for $43.

http://www.livingsocial.com/cities/4...ice-on-march-4
    "My sources are unreliable, but their information is facinating!" Woody Paige

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gerb View Post
    Livingsocial has tickets to Saturday's show at HP Pavillion in San Jose for $43.

http://www.livingsocial.com/cities/4...ice-on-march-4
    I'm going to the show in Anheim this weekend only because Groupon had a great deal on seats. $40 & a signed poster for the seat level that was supposed to be $70+.

vCash
    What a great deal!! Now I really wish the show was coming here so we could get something like that!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Sounds like a show!

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Thanks, Midori, for such a terrific review!

vCash
    attyfan, I'm with you on saving the ticketmaster fees!

I almost never buy tickets ahead not only because of the fees but 1.) I can't risk losing $$ in case there's stormy weather or something came up like an illness ect.. and I can get to the show & 2.) why should they have my $$ months ahead of time when I can walk in on the day of the show and still get front row seats?? For Lake Placid I got up there 2 hours before the show and got on ice tickets! (which I usually don't splurge for, but since it was the only show I could get to this year, I decided to go BIG ) One year I drove 4 hours to Newark, NJ and got first row (off ice). I see no need to buy tickets ahead of time, yet the shows I've gone too seem fairly packed so maybe lots of people buy last minute tickets?

vCash
    I went to a Champions on Ice show back in 2006, but I have never been to a Stars on Ice show. I hope they come to the northeast.

vCash
    Polymer Bob - the remaining shows on tour are Pittsburgh (Mar. 10), Chicago (Mar. 11), Portland,ME (Mar. 16), and Hershey (Mar. 18). Portland may be the closest show to you?

skamper23 - they often release held tickets the week or day of the show - these are tickets that might have been reserved for sponsors, comps, etc. That's why you can sometimes get better seats at the last minute than when you order in advance. And I agree that Ticketmaster fees suck. in both Seattle and Wenatchee, there were still many good on-ice seats available, I think because they're so expensive! I was in first row center ice in Wenatchee and the entire row of center ice on-ice seats in front of me were empty.

Thanks, Midori for your review - it was nice seeing you again at the shows .

And I hope ticket sales are better than the above messages are suggesting. The show is really worth seeing, in my opinion. But for those who won't get to see the show this year, I wrote a more detailed than usual review. Here's my Seattle and Wenatchee Stars on Ice review. It's way too long to cut and paste here...

Personally, I love the show, and I think two of the group numbers - the Adele "Rolling in the Deep" act I closer, and the "Waiting for my Real Life to Begin" "sexy man" guys' number in act II - are two of the best group numbers they've done in a very long time. Plus, there's a real coherent theme and structure to the show. I highly recommend it!

vCash
    Appreciate all your reviews. Too bad they're not coming to a convenient (for me) location this year- sounds like they upped the ante a bit this time.

(Hershey is the closest show to me distance-wise, but obviously no public transportation is available to get there)

vCash
    Thanks everyone for the reviews. I'm thinking I need to go and see the Canadian tour this year.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Skatefan View Post
    ...John and Kyoko haven't missed a beat. They did their scary "fly high and say die" move again.
    Sorry, but I had to a bit - iirc the name of the move is actually "fly high and say goodbye", though perhaps this time it was especially scary?

The move was taught to John and Kyoko by Lloyd Eisler who "invented" the move with Isabelle Brasseur. (I use quotes on the invented part because I read that Lloyd used to watch cheer-leading competitions to look for moves to adapt to the ice so I'm not sure if this is one of those moves.) Again, iirc, this move was first performed at a pro competition in Canada and they apparently asked Tracy Wilson what they should call it, so I think she is the one who came up with the name.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast