Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stars on Ice

vCash

Stars on Ice

I just got back from Stars on Ice in Seattle. It was a great show as usual. All the skaters were excellent. There was this sexy man number that was sublime. John K. Kurt, Ryan, and John Z in muscle shirts in the dark with little stand-up spotlights to this lovely song. Ryan Bradley was a great addition to the cast. He skated to Footloose and a Frank Sinatra song. Ilia rocked it as usual. I loved his number to Who Wants to Live Forever. Sinead and John did a lovely number to Jeremy's free program music. Sasha was really good. She didn't do any jumps but had other qualities that made up for it. Her number to Big Spender was fantastic. John and Kyoko haven't missed a beat. They did their scary "fly high and say die" move again. They did miss a lift in their second number but it turned out ok. Kurt Browning was entertaining as usual. The cast gave it their all. The show doesn't have the over-the-top special effects that they've had in the old days but it's still great. I feel very lucky that Seattle was one of the few stops on the tour.

moving right along
    vCash
    I was at the Seattle show too and can't say enough good things about the "sexy man" number. The choreo was outstanding and it was thrilling to see all these guys performing an intricate danse sur la glace. Fabulous arms, footwork and solo spots for each one...but the sum total was even better than its parts.

Sasha just killed her Big Spender routine. She owned the ice and really sold her solos to the crowd.

Ilia Kulik is a phenom. I love his commitment to movement and what a showman/athelete/dancer he is. He had the most jump content of all the guys and was spot on all night. His scratch spin was

Joannie maintainins her high level of performance. The Kerrs did a couple of spiffy dance pieces. Katia's last solo was great. Ryan was just fab -and fits in perfectly. His mic'd skates number with Todd and Kurt was excellent.

Finally, Kurt Browning is simply amazing. If he did all the choreo than I salute him for putting together a truly pleasing set of all-cast pieces. I fluvvvved it.

vCash
    Thanks for the review.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Lady Nit and AJSkatefan, thanks for the reviews. The show sounded wonderful.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Thanks for the reviews. I'm sorry the Tour didn't stop in my area this year, but I'm glad you both had a good time. It is very impressive how Ilia has maintained his skills and jumps while continuing to explore various artistic aspects of his skating.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Thanks for the reports. Can't wait to see it three weeks from today!

vCash
    Thanks for the report. After attending the past 4 years, going to skip it this time since the nearest show is too far out of the way for me. Can't justify the expense/already seen most if not all these skaters at some point.

Interesting to hear about Cohen, though. People who have watched her over the years, do you think she is becoming a better show skater? I remember her being completely cold (quite a letdown) the 1st time I saw her in '08, but last December at Caesars I think I saw her finally break out of her shell a bit. (Curious that she did no jumps, though...)

vCash
    Sasha Cohen tweeted this photo from last night's show: http://twitter.com/#!/SashaCohenNYC/...172865/photo/1

Thanks for the Seattle reviews!

vCash
    Thanks for the reviews They are nice to read since I probably can't go this year
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    ....Interesting to hear about Cohen, though. People who have watched her over the years, do you think she is becoming a better show skater? I remember her being completely cold (quite a letdown) the 1st time I saw her in '08, but last December at Caesars I think I saw her finally break out of her shell a bit. (Curious that she did no jumps, though...)
    Sasha probably is better as a show skater-she's been doing for a few years. But I also think she's just in a happy place in life-living in New York and going to school.

As for as jumping I found this quote online from her Seattle times online chat back in late January. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...henchat25.html
    Comment From Louise: Will you be adding jumps back into your show programs? I've noticed that some of the other women who are a few years from their competitive years aren't doing jumps either. Is it to avoid the risk of injury?

Sasha Cohen: For me, it was because I broke my hip. It took away a lot of balance and stability that I had. I had to limit my skating so I could continue to skate. I definitely miss the jumps. But as you get older, injuries are more frequent. And you're not quite that 13-year-old you used to be. I don't know -- I do work on jumps in practice. But, at this point, I'm not as comfortable with doing them in shows. A lot of my joy from skating is not necessarily in jumps.ility that I had. I had to limit my skating so I could continue to skate. I definitely miss the jumps. But as you get older, injuries are more frequent. And you're not quite that 13-year-old you used to be. I don't know -- I do work on jumps in practice. But, at this point, I'm not as comfortable with doing them in shows.
    With the Injury and school and that fact that Jumps were never her big thing she probably just searched for a program that she could bring to life without the jumps.
    Last edited by tarotx; 02-26-2012 at 11:26 PM.

vCash
    When did she break her hip? Somehow I missed hearing about that! Poor girl.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    When did she break her hip? Somehow I missed hearing about that! Poor girl.
    She never told about that until recently! I think it happend in april last year, in Prague. She was doing a show there and there was reported (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...t=77773&page=3) that she was injured and that there was an ambulance outside! I remember that she was also injured last july, she skipped a part of a show in shanghai.

Thank so much for the reviews! did sasha do 1 solo or 2? if she did 2, what was the other music?

vCash
    Ouch, poor Sasha. I have to say that it didn't really matter that she didn't jump. I think she's working harder on her performance now and I'm enjoying her skating more than I ever did before. BTW, Joannie could easily waltz into Canadian Nationals and blow the field away. She rocks.

vCash
    How was the attendance for this event?
    SOI is not coming to stl and when I looked at going to Chicago in a few weeks I could get seats in the 4th row. That does not seem like their selling many tickets this close to the event.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    wow, never knew about Sasha's hip. With a broken hip, she's lucky to be skating at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stogba View Post
    SOI is not coming to stl and when I looked at going to Chicago in a few weeks I could get seats in the 4th row. That does not seem like their selling many tickets this close to the event.
    The top level of the arena was curtained off and the lower bowl was about 3/4 full.

vCash
    Kurt, Sinead & Kyoko have been tweeting about the bus ride from Seattle to Wenatchee! It's snowing and the bus pulled over to put chains on the tires...with the help of John Kerr While John Zimmerman built a snow man. Hope they make it to the show on time

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skamper23 View Post
    Kurt, Sinead & Kyoko have been tweeting about the bus ride from Seattle to Wenatchee! It's snowing and the bus pulled over to put chains on the tires...with the help of John Kerr While John Zimmerman built a snow man. Hope they make it to the show on time
    John Kerr just posted on FB that they made it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stogba View Post
    Not a good sign if they are having trouble selling tickets to the Chicago show. I went to the Chicago show in '10 & '11 and the arena was packed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    Not a good sign if they are having trouble selling tickets to the Chicago show. I went to the Chicago show in '10 & '11 and the arena was packed.
    These are tough economic times.

vCash
    AJ Skatefan and LadyNit, thank you for your reviews!

LadyNit, I'm glad you and SilverFox decided to go to the show! (I assume SilverFox went with you.)
    Ah~ I wish I could see all group numbers and transitions! They did only two group numbers (+ 1 from last year's) and no transitions (except Sasha's flirting with Kozuka) in Japan. I must say I really liked those two group numbers they did in SOIJ and I hope they add more group numbers and transitions next time they do in Japan!

I hope more people go to SOI and enjoy the show!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast