Thread: blades in ice

vCash

blades in ice

did it go out of business...the online site is not accessible and I have not been able to find it anywhere

vCash
    Did you mean the magazine Blades on ice? I have not seen an issue in years, so it's quite possible they are no longer publishing.

clutching a very dry gin martini up with a twist
    vCash
    I had subscribed to Blades On Ice since its inception. I received notice that they were no longer publishing the magazine because of production/postage costs, but that there would be an on-line magazine. I read the first issue on-line, but found that it was hard to read and that the pictures (which had been always first rate) were difficult to enjoy, so I stopped visiting the website. Checking today, I too found that it was inaccessable. This is a shame because I found many articles in the magazine to be first rate. Their retrospective of women's figures skating was particularly memorable.

vCash
    I used to subscribe for many years. The magazine was so far behind in their news, like 1-2 months after the fact I did not subscribe anymore. I did go online but it was the same story there too. Its a shame because it was quality photos and articles.

vCash
    I guess it is impossible for print magazines to keep up with the news the way online sites do, but I still value them for their still photography and historical articles. I hope International Figure Skating doesn't fold, I still subscribe.

vCash
    IFS just announced a redesign will debut in June so it won't be going anywhere. http://www.ifsmagazine.com/articles/...-bold-new-look

vCash
    Blades on Ice is in digital format.

You can download the current issue at this website:

http://www.bladesonice.net/

vCash
    But what's the deal with the print version of BoI? I'm a subscriber and I haven't received any notification about a switch to digital-only,
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    When I renewed BoI a year or more ago, I received a phone call saying that they had switched from print to online. I was supposed to receive an ID and PIN to access it, but it never turned up, not in the SPAM folder either. I kept forgetting to follow up.

It was a great magazine but I didn't care about the timeliness of their articles.

The bladesonice.net site is news to me; looks like it just came online last month, with the Feb 2012 issue. The original website was bladesonice.com.

vCash
    Yes, it was just put up. One of the GS staff was notified that the website was a new address. They sent an email to the editor at BOI, who answered the email.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    But what's the deal with the print version of BoI? I'm a subscriber and I haven't received any notification about a switch to digital-only,

I subscribe(d) also. Right about the time the June 2011 issue was due out, I got a small black & white postcard in the mail telling me they were no longer doing print versions, and that it was becoming online version only. The post card was very easy to miss if you don't look at things like that carefully. I almost tossed mine as junk mail until I read it more closely. You might have missed it, but they did send postcards. At least I got one anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    I subscribe(d) also. Right about the time the June 2011 issue was due out, I got a small black & white postcard in the mail telling me they were no longer doing print versions, and that it was becoming online version only. The post card was very easy to miss if you don't look at things like that carefully. I almost tossed mine as junk mail until I read it more closely. You might have missed it, but they did send postcards. At least I got one anyway.
    The postcard said to use the new website, I had to have an id number which was on the mailing label of the print issue. They used plastic wrappers with the addresses printed on for the magazines, and I had thrown it away already!

vCash
    sasherka and I were looking at online magazines, and it seems the website for blades on ice is gone as well. Did they disappear for good?

http://www.bladesonice.net/

vCash
    Blades on Ice has become The Skating Scene and is hosted by George Rossano's Ice Skating International site. There's a link on the left side of ISI's site. They update stories every 2-3 weeks, from what I've seen. It's not like the old magazine, not as comprehensive, but there are still some photos, along with some reviews, etc.

From what I understood, printing and mailing costs became prohibitive. I think they tried to contact all subscribers, but many emails ended up in spam files, etc. If you still have an old magazine, I think you can still get in touch with the publisher through the old address and/or phone number or email address and maybe they'll be able to get you some money back on your subscription. I tried the on-line version for awhile, but just found it awkward to read (I like to take magazines with me and read a hard copy). This new thing is nice, just not a real "magazine" type thing -- more a blog thing with several contributors. But, check it out and decide for yourself.

vCash
    Link: http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/SkatingScene/index.htm
    Pandora Unforgettable Holiday Moments on Ice - report & photos: http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/Skati...SScTrekkie.htm
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden