vCash

Dutch prince Johan Friso in a Coma

He has been in a coma since been hit by an avalanche. Doctors say his prospect for recovery is not good and is not expecting him to ever wake up. So best wishes to his family and the people of the Netherlands. But a miracle could still happen so good thoughts to him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17153623

vCash
    How sad! Even the seemingly lucky ones can't escape life's tragedies.

Quadless
    vCash
    Interesting that his skiing partner survived unscathed because he was wearing an avalanche airbag. They've been in the news a lot in the U.S. lately because of the relatively high number of avalanches the northwest has experienced this season, and I wonder if they will become de rigeur equipment, much as helmets have become.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    Interesting that his skiing partner survived unscathed because he was wearing an avalanche airbag. They've been in the news a lot in the U.S. lately because of the relatively high number of avalanches the northwest has experienced this season, and I wonder if they will become de rigeur equipment, much as helmets have become.
    Interesting. I was curious how that works and found this description from an NPR interview:

http://www.npr.org/2012/02/20/147164...ag-saves-skier

They're like airbags in a car and skiers and snowboarders wear them on their back. They're an integral part of their backpack. and if a person gets caught in an avalanche, it's got a ripcord like a skydiver has a ripcord for his parachute and they pull that and then it inflates an airbag that goes around the person's head, which protects their head and their neck, and then it provides floatation so the person stays on top of the avalanche debris. Then they can just ride down on the avalanche and, nine times out of 10, they're on the surface of the avalanche debris when it comes to rest.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    We are discussing this here, http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=80920 also.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Interesting. I was curious how that works and found this description from an NPR interview:

http://www.npr.org/2012/02/20/147164...ag-saves-skier
    This is amazing. I had no idea such a thing even exists.

Quadless
    vCash
    If you go to YouTube and search for "avalanche airbag" you'll find quite a few videos that demo the product like this one. The design of the SnowPulse intrigues me the most because of the way it cradles the head.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence