Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 111
  1. #81

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    781
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1925
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    Patrick is always dull for anyone who doesn't have an edge fetish.
    Patrick needs to skate with his edges under better control before I unleash my edge fetish on him. Why do you think he often falls and trips? I've always had the same issue with Carolina "I skate really fast and sloppy on deep edges and everyone thinks I have superb skating skills" Kostner. though after 10 years I'm finally seeing that change about her...

    Edge fetish? Alexander Abt. Never ever seen acceleration and power like that before. Ryan Jahnke. Grrrrrroooooowl and Rip. Maxim Saviski. Just unreal. And while partnering a woman who did her best to hold her own against someone so god-like on blades.

    Speaking of Abt, he was on the original list and I was a big fan but I'd never call him elegant. Passionate, unrestrained, a tad wild but not elegant (except that camel spin. http://youtu.be/SQF3s-bG8r8?t=1m22s. Swoon.)

    David Liu. So sad one of the most elegant skaters in the last couple of decades never had the big jumps:

    Baby David (1992)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c3ceRk1P0Y

    Grown-up David (1998)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGZAwr8MMhE

    Sophisticated, gorgeous professional David (2005)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPHRh-NN_5Q

  2. #82

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    4,316
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakfastClub View Post
    David Liu. So sad one of the most elegant skaters in the last couple of decades never had the big jumps:

    Baby David (1992)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c3ceRk1P0Y

    Grown-up David (1998)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGZAwr8MMhE

    Sophisticated, gorgeous professional David (2005)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPHRh-NN_5Q
    What a truly amazing and unique talent. And so incredibly little known!

  3. #83

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    859
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakfastClub View Post
    Patrick needs to skate with his edges under better control before I unleash my edge fetish on him. Why do you think he often falls and trips? I've always had the same issue with Carolina "I skate really fast and sloppy on deep edges and everyone thinks I have superb skating skills" Kostner. though after 10 years I'm finally seeing that change about her...

    Edge fetish? Alexander Abt. Never ever seen acceleration and power like that before. Ryan Jahnke. Grrrrrroooooowl and Rip. Maxim Saviski. Just unreal. And while partnering a woman who did her best to hold her own against someone so god-like on blades.

    Speaking of Abt, he was on the original list and I was a big fan but I'd never call him elegant. Passionate, unrestrained, a tad wild but not elegant (except that camel spin. http://youtu.be/SQF3s-bG8r8?t=1m22s. Swoon.)

    David Liu. So sad one of the most elegant skaters in the last couple of decades never had the big jumps:

    Baby David (1992)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c3ceRk1P0Y

    Grown-up David (1998)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGZAwr8MMhE

    Sophisticated, gorgeous professional David (2005)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPHRh-NN_5Q
    Thanks for this, it is so nice to see people still appreciate this special skater from Taiwan. David did a great job commentating the 4CC last year, hope to see him more to promote figure skating in Taiwan, although I understand he is based in New York now and works primarily as a choreographer.

  4. #84
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    556
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post
    i've always found that ppl in general seem to have a more narrow idea of elegance when it comes to male skating than i personally do
    It is interesting to read all of the different views of what it means to be "elegant" as a male FS.
    Kudos to Vash01 for starting this thread and offering a view on what it is.

    My own favorite description of "elegant", in general and for FS, is:

    "Elegance is a synonym for beauty that has come to acquire the additional connotations of unusual effectiveness and simplicity.
    It is frequently used as a standard of tastefulness particularly in the areas of visual design, decorative arts, the sciences, and the esthetics of mathematics.
    Elegant things exhibit refined and dignified propriety."


    Thank you for the David Lui links....truly amazing artistry, and I wonder who the beneficiaries of his choreography are/have been?

    I was not that familiar with Robin Cousins, to be honest, but after taking a look I found his performance style to be "extraordinarily elegant"...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fHV9...eature=related



    .

  5. #85
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    1,322
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    I agree. Looking for defining words ( for me), Takahashi would be "mesmerizing and dynamic", Abbott- "profoundly musical and soulful", Lambiel- "expressive and generous"... not that one thing cancels the other. Defining "extraordinarily elegant" for me would be Curry and Sikharulidze, and nowadays-perhaps Kozuka. And I think "elegance" is Scott Moir's defining strength.
    I agree about Takahashi and Abbott. Although I think that Takahashi is quite elegant in some programs, and Abbott too, while not very graceful, is often elegant in his own way. As for Lambiel - what does "generous" mean in relation to figure skating? He is not always that "generous", if I understand what you mean. He has found a new style (for him) which is quite ascetic and reserved/restrained (although it's just a program or two). And, for me, he is certainly very elegant, and also "profoundly musical" (no less than Abbott), besides being expressive. Despite his tendency to lean forward a bit too much while trying to gain speed, I know very few skaters (if any - well, except Curry, who is still different) with the kind of posture and stance that he has shown/shows in programs like 'Poeta' and 'Prelude in G. Minor' (Rachmaninov). Of course, there are many other things about his elegance as well, including the proverbial "hands". At the same time, that kind of posture and hands are needed mostly in classical programs, also in tangos and flamencos. Lambiel does that so well, but he also has programs in other styles - like programs to jazz music and more contemporary programs - which require another kind of elegance altogether (which he also has).

    Anyway, I want to thank everyone who has provided links . It's really interesting to watch those videos, as I hadn't seen most of them before. That's one of the reasons why I am writing only about Lambiel. I just know more about him than about any other skater. I have seen too little of the most skaters mentioned here to be able to tell whether they are truly elegant, or it's just separate programs. gkelly was right to tell that it often varies from program to program. As for such skaters as Curry and Cousins, I definitely agree that they are extraordinarily elegant, but I think that I can't add anything new to everything that has already been said about them - both here, and in other threads.
    Last edited by lauravvv; 03-01-2012 at 02:48 AM.

  6. #86
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,467
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rosebrallier View Post
    Joshua Farris and Jason Brown are absolutely amazing! I predict (knock on wood) that in four years those two will be stunning us all and landing on top of Senior podiums. Those two, especially Joshua, make me even more excited than the young Russian ladies (and that's saying something).
    agreed, and thrown in Han Yan and don't forget Nathan Chen who is already showing elegance in skating.

    but comparing though Brown is far superior to Farris, Farris may have faster spins, feminine like elegance and balletic style but Brown is the over all package and his performance is almost always memorable.

  7. #87
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    103
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm all about Takahiko Kozuka: incredibly soft knees and great edgework. His style is more understated, so I think he can go unnoticed.

    http://youtu.be/azKlGGypwT8?t=4m8s

    Also, I came across these audition tapes of Rohene Ward. Such a beautiful skater:

    http://youtu.be/KA27GFWr-3k
    http://youtu.be/CC1-havgrIk

  8. #88

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Staring at the ocean, anywhere anytime
    Posts
    9,866
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11372
    If only Rohene had had a head for competition....: ...he is an amazing skater.

    He was touring with one of the Holiday on Ice Shows in Europe, last I heard.

  9. #89
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Katellorizo
    Posts
    3,485
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by geod2 View Post
    Thank you for the David [Liu] links....truly amazing artistry, and I wonder who the beneficiaries of his choreography are/have been?
    According to his website, he's worked with Brian Boitano, Lu Chen, Midori Ito, Roslyn Sumners, and Katarina Witt -- presumably during their professional careers -- as well as the Ice Theatre of New York and several dance companies in the U.S. and Asia.

    http://www.davidliu.org/DLmain1.html

  10. #90

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    781
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1925
    Yes, of course. Rohene!



    I'll always be grateful to whoever made this video. The essence of Rohene - big split lutz, single flip with legs reverse crossed, the double axel seq with one in each direction, trademark spirals, layback, catchfoot CW spin...

    2002 Vienna Cup Ex

    I seem to recall he didn't medal here, but like so many who've seen him practice and then bomb in competition, he's so impressive when he's not competing the organizers extended a special invite to him for the exhibition.

    Hard to believe that with all the non-jumping talent he always had on display, he's also perhaps the most talented jumper I've ever seen. The only skater I've ever seen who could nail triple axels out of three different entries with no warmup and then go off and land a CW triple lutz like it was nothing ...in practice.

  11. #91
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    1,322
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Oh, I forgot to write - Weir is indeed elegant - when he doesn't do his Gaga (or Gaga style) programs . On the other hand, Lambiel managed to be elegant in a way even when skating a program to Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears (although his skating was far from his best here).
    Last edited by lauravvv; 03-01-2012 at 02:55 AM.

  12. #92

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,729
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    6669
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravvv View Post
    I agree about Takahashi and Abbott. Although I think that Takahashi is quite elegant in some programs, and Abbott too, while not very graceful, is often elegant in his own way. As for Lambiel - what does "generous" mean in relation to figure skating? He is not always that "generous", if I understand what you mean. He has found a new style (for him) which is quite ascetic and reserved/restrained (although it's just a program or two). And, for me, he is certainly very elegant, and also "profoundly musical" (no less than Abbott), besides being expressive. Despite his tendency to lean forward a bit too much while trying to gain speed, I know very few skaters (if any - well, except Curry, who is still different) with the kind of posture and stance that he has shown/shows in programs like 'Poeta' and 'Prelude in G. Minor' (Rachmaninov). Of course, there are many other things about his elegance as well, including the proverbial "hands". At the same time, that kind of posture and hands are needed mostly in classical programs, also in tangos and flamencos. Lambiel does that so well, but he also has programs in other styles - like programs to jazz music and more contemporary programs - which require another kind of elegance altogether (which he also has).
    Oh, I agree completely. It really is impossible to characterize skaters of that quality with a word or two.
    As for "generous"- I knew it's not quite precise, but could not find a better word. I was referring to Stephane's ability to connect with the audience, which is immediate and palpable, and always was. He is embracing the audience when he skates ( ditto Jason Brown, from a new generation). That, to me, was always one of Lambiel's main characteristics. Jeremy is improving his audience connection year after year, but that's not his innate trait- while deep musicality is such a part of him, it has always been there. To be "extraordinarily elegant" for me means to have it as one of the defining traits- and Curry is the prime example ( and Sikharulidze, as well- he even managed to make Charlie Chaplin elegant AND good, which is quite a feat).
    Last edited by dinakt; 03-01-2012 at 04:15 AM.
    improving my ballad- like lines

  13. #93

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    4,316
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravvv View Post
    Despite his tendency to lean forward a bit too much while trying to gain speed, I know very few skaters (if any - well, except Curry, who is still different) with the kind of posture and stance that he has shown/shows in programs like 'Poeta' and 'Prelude in G. Minor' (Rachmaninov). Of course, there are many other things about his elegance as well, including the proverbial "hands". At the same time, that kind of posture and hands are needed mostly in classical programs, also in tangos and flamencos.
    I agree. Although his leg lines are not always picture-perfect like some of the skaters mentioned here, I always thought that he has some of the most beautiful upper body carriage and usage, which is really one of the best ever, if not *the* best.

  14. #94

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    Quote Originally Posted by geod2 View Post
    It is interesting to read all of the different views of what it means to be "elegant" as a male FS.
    Kudos to Vash01 for starting this thread and offering a view on what it is.

    My own favorite description of "elegant", in general and for FS, is:

    "Elegance is a synonym for beauty that has come to acquire the additional connotations of unusual effectiveness and simplicity.
    It is frequently used as a standard of tastefulness particularly in the areas of visual design, decorative arts, the sciences, and the esthetics of mathematics.
    Elegant things exhibit refined and dignified propriety."


    Thank you for the David Lui links....truly amazing artistry, and I wonder who the beneficiaries of his choreography are/have been?

    I was not that familiar with Robin Cousins, to be honest, but after taking a look I found his performance style to be "extraordinarily elegant"...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fHV9...eature=related



    .
    Thanks for the compliment and for the link to Robin's 1979 worlds skate. I had never seen this. I had seen his programs as a pro and they were wonderful. I did not realize he was equally wonderful even at a much younger age.

  15. #95

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakfastClub View Post
    Edge fetish? Alexander Abt. Never ever seen acceleration and power like that before. Ryan Jahnke. Grrrrrroooooowl and Rip. Maxim Saviski. Just unreal. And while partnering a woman who did her best to hold her own against someone so god-like on blades.

    Speaking of Abt, he was on the original list and I was a big fan but I'd never call him elegant. Passionate, unrestrained, a tad wild but not elegant (except that camel spin. http://youtu.be/SQF3s-bG8r8?t=1m22s. Swoon.)




    Sophisticated, gorgeous professional David (2005)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPHRh-NN_5Q
    I absolutely loved Abt's skating. Unfortunately he competed in the era dominated by Yagudin, Plushenko, and quads. Abt always two footed his quad toe, was inconsistent in landing his jumps and could not make the podium. The rest of his skating was superb. Dick Button once said about him- (paraphrasing)- You don't see edges like this anymore; you have to go back to the 1950's to see them.

    Here is his LP at the 2002 Europeans:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiYM7...eature=related
    Last edited by Vash01; 03-01-2012 at 05:46 AM.

  16. #96
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    Posts
    21,222
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Ilia Klimkin.

  17. #97

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Deep in a Dream
    Posts
    7,566
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    19533
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Ilia Klimkin.
    Loved him. Too bad he never seemed able to skate two clean programs in any given comp.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

  18. #98

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Staring at the ocean, anywhere anytime
    Posts
    9,866
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11372
    I don't think of Klimkin as an elegant skater, but as a memorable, profoundly interesting skater who did novel, creative things.

  19. #99

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Ilia Klimkin.

    I liked his creativity but I never thought of him as an elegant skater. I guess elegance- like beauty- is in the eye of the beholder.
    Last edited by Vash01; 03-01-2012 at 08:08 PM. Reason: correcting grammar :)

  20. #100
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    1,322
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    Oh, I agree completely. It really is impossible to characterize skaters of that quality with a word or two.
    As for "generous"- I knew it's not quite precise, but could not find a better word. I was referring to Stephane's ability to connect with the audience, which is immediate and palpable, and always was. He is embracing the audience when he skates ( ditto Jason Brown, from a new generation). That, to me, was always one of Lambiel's main characteristics.
    I understand now. I wonder why I didn't think of this meaning before, because now that I think about it, it's quite obvious .

    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    I agree. Although his leg lines are not always picture-perfect like some of the skaters mentioned here, I always thought that he has some of the most beautiful upper body carriage and usage, which is really one of the best ever, if not *the* best.
    Yes, "carriage" is the right word, I just didn't think about it before. As for leg lines - I think, one of the reasons is that his legs are simply quite short, so they can't look long and extraordinarily elegant .

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •