Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rosebrallier View Post
    This critique isn't really aimed at Chan, but at whoever choreographs his programs.
    but that's the problem IMHO. I always laugh when people say things like "Lori gave the good programs to caro and the duds to rachael"
    I don't think a choreographer can gift a skater a personality, although nichol certainly came closest to just that when she actually made goebel watchable in 2002!
    Lori has created countless gems over two decades. Patrick is always dull for anyone who doesn't have an edge fetish.

vCash
    i've always found that ppl in general seem to have a more narrow idea of elegance when it comes to male skating than i personally do

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    Alexei Urmanov.

I wouldn't call Todd Eldredge "elegant".
    I wouldn't call Urmanov "elegant" either:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ieGvGdfyeo#t=0m20s

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by muffinbiscuit View Post
    Ryan Jahnke
    Yes! Yes! Yes!

vCash
    Joshua Farris is incredible! I saw his JGPF programs the other day and he has such a gorgeous fluid range of movement.

I was watching Artur Gachinsky's Euros programs last night and thinking that he has a really nice lyrical style.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    but that's the problem IMHO. I always laugh when people say things like "Lori gave the good programs to caro and the duds to rachael"
    I don't think a choreographer can gift a skater a personality, although nichol certainly came closest to just that when she actually made goebel watchable in 2002!
    Lori has created countless gems over two decades. Patrick is always dull for anyone who doesn't have an edge fetish.
    Good post.

I wouldn't give Chan a pass on the musicality, and blame the choreography. And, this is not critique on my part about the skating. Just that I think some skaters have an innate sense of the music, and there would simply NOT be a point where the chroreo is not in sync with the music. Let's assume for a moment that the choreographer did a ridiculous setting that did not go with the music, as a skater who is musical, I would think there would be such dissonance it would be like nails on a chalkboard. And the skater would get it fixed. I simply wouldn't feel right.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Two lesser known US male skaters that are quite elegant IMO are Scott Dyer and Wesley Campbell.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    Good post.

I wouldn't give Chan a pass on the musicality, and blame the choreography. And, this is not critique on my part about the skating. Just that I think some skaters have an innate sense of the music, and there would simply NOT be a point where the chroreo is not in sync with the music. Let's assume for a moment that the choreographer did a ridiculous setting that did not go with the music, as a skater who is musical, I would think there would be such dissonance it would be like nails on a chalkboard. And the skater would get it fixed. I simply wouldn't feel right.
    ITA. I generally try to give skaters the benefit of the doubt though. Chan hasn't outlasted my doubt yet. Can say the same for several others though coughcoughEvanLysacekcoughcough.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    I wouldn't call Urmanov "elegant" either:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ieGvGdfyeo#t=0m20s
    Yes, the 'chicken legs' was really bad choreography. But most of the time he was very elegant.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    Stephane Lambiel, John Curry

from new crops : Hanyu and also Farris, although I dislike but Farris is sort of elegant. his skating style is very balletic and feminine very elegant looking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    Yes, the 'chicken legs' was really bad choreography. But most of the time he was very elegant.
    He isn't the only Russian man to do the chicken legs (what I think of as "doing the hokey pokey" choreography):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpfkvNHac6g#t=2m40s

Is there something Russian traditional about this choice

vCash
    Well, Todd Eldredge is not extraordinaly elegant.

John Curry, Robin Cousins, Sebastien Britten and many more

vCash
    The first skater who came to my mind when I read the thread title was Mark Mitchell. I don't think he's been mentioned yet.

With some of these skaters, if we look back at whole careers, we can often find elegant performances and not-so-elegant ones, often with more elegance later in the skater's career. It's not always a question of either/or.

Happily succumbing to the FSU productivity virus.
    vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    He isn't the only Russian man to do the chicken legs (what I think of as "doing the hokey pokey" choreography):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpfkvNHac6g#t=2m40s

Is there something Russian traditional about this choice
    wee, why did i open this link

vCash
    I think Kozuka deserves an honorable mention at least.

I think Daisuke's style is unreal, but I wouldn't necessarily call it elegant...at least not overall. "Dynamic" is the word that comes to mind.

vCash
    Joshua Farris and Jason Brown are absolutely amazing! I predict (knock on wood) that in four years those two will be stunning us all and landing on top of Senior podiums. Those two, especially Joshua, make me even more excited than the young Russian ladies (and that's saying something).

vCash
    Hmmm, Scott Moir? V&M's Olympic FD would never have worked if he weren't able to skate elegantly.
    Last edited by sap5; 02-29-2012 at 03:21 PM.

vCash
    What kills any semblance of elegance in Urmanov or Eldredge for me is their god-awful cross-overs. Both skaters have nice qualities in certain areas. I love Urmanov's extension on jump landings in particular. But both of them have the same upper-body bobbing disease on cross-overs. It's disruptive to the flow of the program, and it drives me CRAZY!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    I think Kozuka deserves an honorable mention at least.

I think Daisuke's style is unreal, but I wouldn't necessarily call it elegant...at least not overall. "Dynamic" is the word that comes to mind.
    I agree. Looking for defining words ( for me), Takahashi would be "mesmerizing and dynamic", Abbott- "profoundly musical and soulful", Lambiel- "expressive and generous"... not that one thing cancels the other. Defining "extraordinarily elegant" for me would be Curry and Sikharulidze, and nowadays-perhaps Kozuka. And I think "elegance" is Scott Moir's defining strength.
    Last edited by dinakt; 02-29-2012 at 01:49 AM.
    improving my ballad- like lines

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast