Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rosebrallier View Post
    I say the most elegant currently competing are Abbott, Takahashi, and Chan in that order. Takahashi occasionally falls victim to awkward choreography and to me, Chan tends towards skating elements rather than programs. The individual elements look gorgeous, they just don't flow together amazingly like Abbott's and Takahashi's can.
    ^^ ITA!

vCash
    Anyone else find Chan's heel clicks annoying and an affectation? Or is it just me?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    Anyone else find Chan's heel clicks annoying and an affectation? Or is it just me?
    I'm not sure I know what you're referring to. Elaborate?

I do think Chan needs to find a new choreographer. I've noticed in the vast majority of programs how Nichol's choreography tends to ignore the nuances of the music and even has Chan skate straight through a major musical theme.
    Last edited by rosebrallier; 02-26-2012 at 02:42 AM.

vCash
    Ryan Jahnke

vCash

Extraordinarily elegant male skaters (singles or otherwise)

I think Toller Cranston should be on the list.

vCash

Todd was elegant

I believe Todd Eldredge was elegant, especially when he skated to "Close Every Door", "First Knight" when he won Worlds gold medal in 1996, "Gettysburg" and many others. Also an elegant skater , my favorite Jeffrey Buttle. I love everything he skated and skates to.

vCash
    oh my gosh....cannot believe I forgot about Jeffrey!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Buttle, certainly, and Kurt Browning was whenever that was his intention. For me, Matt Savoie and Takahiko Kozuka. Of the ice dancers, I'd add Bourzat and Mitchell Islam, and Mervin Tran among the pairs men.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Extraordinarily elegant male singles skaters only these three in my opinion:

John Curry
    Robin Cousins
    Alexei Urmanov

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stevlin View Post
    I believe Todd Eldredge was elegant, especially when he skated to "Close Every Door", "First Knight" when he won Worlds gold medal in 1996, "Gettysburg" and many others. Also an elegant skater , my favorite Jeffrey Buttle. I love everything he skated and skates to.
    ITA for both! I would say Todd is elegant as a pro skater as well. And, just for the record, he hasn't skated only to movie soundtrtacks. He has done some classical music and Broadway too (not that I have any problem with movie soundtracks - I love listening to a lot of movie soundtracks skated to by many different skaters), and he makes the music work for him.

Let me also add Adam Rippon and Jonathan Cassar!

vCash
    IMO John Curry was in a class of his own but I also think Michael Seibert (Blumberg/Seibert) had beautiful dance positions. There was a Russian skater whose name I believe was Tataturov who had a very balletic style. I agree with many of the other skaters previously mentioned: Todd Eldredge, Paul Wylie, Johnny Weir, Jeff Buttle, Mark Mitchell, Peter Oppegard, Oleg Protopopov. There are a lot. Oh, Lambiel & Toller Cranston, Adam Rippon.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I can't believe I forgot Seibert.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    Extraordinarily elegant male singles skaters only these three in my opinion:

John Curry
    I was lucky enough to catch his figures at the 75 World's in Colorado Springs. Not very elegant.

Of course, in figures, it wasn't about elegance, it was about tracings.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rosebrallier View Post
    I'm not sure I know what you're referring to. Elaborate?

I do think Chan needs to find a new choreographer. I've noticed in the vast majority of programs how Nichol's choreography tends to ignore the nuances of the music and even has Chan skate straight through a major musical theme.
    Watch his 2012 FS at Nationals between 1:25 and 1:30, 2:30-2:35 and again at 3:00-3:05. There may be more later on but this demonstrates where he jumps slightly to click the heels of his boots together. I've noticed it in previous years, so it's not choreographically unique to this program. If am am correct, one of Christy Krall's other male skaters is also doing this (Joshua Farris, maybe?). So, I'm not sure if this is a practice that Christy encourages or it is one started by Chan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5xR2q0zkEc

vCash
    Johnny Weir.

vCash
    Seriously? You're using this as an example to criticize Chan? You're really grasping here.... I guess because there's not anything else for you to criticize.

At least Chan does this as way to add interesting choreographic transitions, unlike your son, grandson, nephew, whatever, Rippon.

vCash
    Urmanov, Curry, Lambiel, Cousins

vCash
    Definitely Lambiel.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    Seriously? You're using this as an example to criticize Chan? You're really grasping here.... I guess because there's not anything else for you to criticize.

At least Chan does this as way to add interesting choreographic transitions, unlike your son, grandson, nephew, whatever, Rippon.
    Please don't try to account for whatever I might or might not think beyond what I write. It was not an attack, it was an observation. I won't respond to the other segment of your response.
    Last edited by sk9tingfan; 02-27-2012 at 04:21 PM.

vCash
    Watch his 2012 FS at Nationals between 1:25 and 1:30, 2:30-2:35 and again at 3:00-3:05. There may be more later on but this demonstrates where he jumps slightly to click the heels of his boots together. I've noticed it in previous years, so it's not choreographically unique to this program. If am am correct, one of Christy Krall's other male skaters is also doing this (Joshua Farris, maybe?). So, I'm not sure if this is a practice that Christy encourages or it is one started by Chan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5xR2q0zkEc
    Oh. Those. The first one fit with the music alright, but the others? Let's just say they really need to find more varied transitions...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter
    This critique isn't really aimed at Chan, but at whoever choreographs his programs.
    IMHO Chan ought to try a character program; done properly it could make him appear more emotionally connected to a program (instead of just consistent DRAMATICALNESS) and much more elegant. He certainly has the skill to pull it off (And it could make winning everything more interesting!). Win-win!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast