Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Extraordinarily elegant male skaters (singles or otherwise)

Figure skating is a beautiful, elegant sport, in general. The ladies in particular are encouraged to be elegant. However, some male skaters are very elegant and graceful. Here is my list:

(Singles)

John Curry
    Matt Savoie
    Paul Wylie
    Johnny Weir
    Viktor Petrenko
    Ilia Kulik
    Todd Eldredge
    Robin Cousins
    Jeremy Abbott
    Patrick Chan
    Alexander Abt
    Jeff Buttle
    Daisuke Takahashi
    Rudy Galindo
    Jason Brown

(I am surprised that the list is so long)

(Pairs and ice dance):

Anton Sikharulidze
    Sergei Grinkov
    John Zimmerman
    Oleg Protopopov
    Randy Gardner
    Artur Dmitriev

Alexander Zhulin
    Gwendal Peizerat
    Oleg Ovssianikov
    Sergei Ponomarenko
    Christopher Dean

vCash
    Ulrich Salchow -the first Olympic Men's Figure Skating Champion
    Ulrich Salchow - 1908 Olympic Men's Champion

Gillis Grafstroem
    Gillis Graefstrom-1920-1924-1928 Olympic Champion

I think Alexei Urmanov was quite elegant as well in his movements.
    Congrats to my ♥Baroque Rock Princess Adelina♥Meryl&Charlie♥Tatiana&Maxim♥!Team ♥Mirai♥Adam♥Julia♥

vCash
    No list of extraordinarily elegant male skaters would be complete without including Charles Tickner.

1977 U.S. Nationals FS
    1978 Worlds FS
    1980 Worlds FS

vCash
    Stephane should be in there, at least late-career Stephane. I'd say his Ne Me Quitte Pas was definitely extraordinarily elegant, and his La Traviata was quite elegant as well.
    I always thought Sretenski of Annenko/Sretenski was very elegant.
    Emmanuel Sandhu could be very graceful.

vCash
    Definitely Toller Cranston!

vCash
    It's amazing how different opinions can be. At a quick glance, I agree with everyone listed... except for Todd Eldredge! I can hardly think of a more wooden, uninteresting, "aw shucks" kind of skater from the past 20 years who achieved so much. I think it was the way he didn't use his head that factors greatly into how I came to find his "presentation" pretty ridiculous. I don't think there's a mean thing I could come up with regarding him personally, so- again- this is just my marveling at how different people view things. Perhaps links to videos will follow as people share their favorite examples of named skaters.

Interesting topic, especially as it concerns pairs and ice dance, where the men tend to show off the women and not normally get tons of recognition.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Alexei Urmanov.

I wouldn't call Todd Eldredge "elegant".
    Be with me always—take any form—drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"

vCash
    Todd Eldridge is about as elegant as a brick. I agree with all the others on the original list, except Todd and also I never really considered Ilia elegant. There are a few Canadians that aren't on there that should be (Eman, Sebastien Britton, Sawyer). I also think Stannick Jeanette could be on the list. Although his choreography (as brilliant as it was) didn't often show it , you could still see it in his moves and lines.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    I think Todd is a very elegant skater. It didn't happen overnight, but he has certainly developed into one.

May I add Armin M., Ross Miner, and Harrison Choate (a US junior man) for the current eligibles?

Vash, I really like your list!

vCash
    Even if his programs were the usual movie soundtrack stuff, Todd had very nice lines and good form.

vCash
    Emanuel Sandhu was very elegant
    I want to thank you Lord for being with me so far this day. With your help, I have not been inpatient, lost my temper been grumpy or envious of anyone. But I will be getting out of bed in a minute and I think I will really need your help then. Amen

vCash
    I'm partial to the innovators. People like Allen Schramm, Gary Beacom, Paul Duchesnay, etc. You guys have a term for them, but I forgot what it was. "Spacey skaters", or something like that?
    Last edited by Johnny_Fever; 02-25-2012 at 01:26 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Fever View Post
    I'm partial to the innovators. People like Allen Schramm, Gary Beacom, Paul Duchesnay, etc. You guys have a term for them, but I forgot what it was. "Spacey skaters, or something like that?"
    Voidy.

vCash
    That's it. Thanks.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    I think Todd is a very elegant skater. It didn't happen overnight, but he has certainly developed into one.

May I add Armin M., Ross Miner, and Harrison Choate (a US junior man) for the current eligibles?

Vash, I really like your list!
    I always found Todd to be an understated, subtly elegant skater.

I'm giving Angel Boy Rippon a vote, I love his arms, his head postions..His Cinema Paradisio is one of my all-time favorite exhibitions..and this yrs Rach exhibition is also quite lovely.

vCash
    I'm surprised Robin Cousins hasn't been mentioned. I always loved his long lines.

vCash
    Gorsha Sur
    Denis Petrov
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_toe View Post
    Stephane should be in there, at least late-career Stephane. I'd say his Ne Me Quitte Pas was definitely extraordinarily elegant, and his La Traviata was quite elegant as well.
    I agree about Lambiel - although he was not very elegant in his early career, now I actually assocciate such words as "elegance" and "gracefulness" with him more than with any other of the current male singles skaters (I mean both "amateur" and professional). And it's not just for 'Ne me quitte pas' and 'La Traviata'. It's also 'Poeta' (or 'Flamenco'), 'Carne Cruda', 'Otono Porteno' (or 'Tango') as it was skated in shows, the later show version of 'The Four Seasons', such jazzy programs as 'Tainted Love', 'Let the Good Times Roll', and, now, 'Don't Stop The Music', 'Bring Me to Life', 'Prelude in G. Minor', 'Rigoletto', his new program for 'Art on Ice' - 'My Body Is A Cage', and a few others. Actually, whatever Lambiel does now - everything is elegant and, often, graceful.

vCash
    Adam Rippon and Yuzuru Hanyu

vCash
    Boy.. I would take Todd off that list... Elegant would never be a word I would use to describe his skating...

Brian Boitano however....... Elegance for sure
    DH - and that's just my opinion

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast