Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post

And that Chloe Moretz is a serious talent. Wow. I don't think she necessarily should have been nominated, but I see many nominations in her future.

I'm really curious to see who ends up winning tonight, except that I don't have cable I knew when I made that decision that this night would be the one where I regretted it. Oh well.
    I really liked her too. I hope she develops into something great.

Aren't the Oscars going to be on mainstream TV this year? I do have cable, so it's not a problem for me, but i am so used to seeing them on the regular networks.
    Last edited by Vash01; 02-26-2012 at 06:18 PM.

vCash
    My predix: "Artist", Davis, Plummer, Spencer, Hazanavicius, and.......

.....upset of the night: Pitt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    My predix: "Artist", Davis, Plummer, Spencer, Hazanavicius, and.......

.....upset of the night: Pitt
    I hope not. Pitt was good in Moneyball, but not great (although I liked his understated performance in Moneyball). I actually felt that he should have been nominated for Tree of Life. I thought he was great in it; a completely different character- quietly threatening and yet loving in his own way. It was a complex and layered character.

I hope Dujardin wins the best actor Oscar. If not, I may be OK with Pitt. I have not seen A Better life, so I don't know about that actor. I see Oldman as a long shot because the movie has not received a lot of publicity (like A better life).

I hope Clooney does not win tonight. Although I liked the Descendants as a movie, Clooney looks/sounds the same in every movie. When I look at other actors that give great performances, they look so different in every movie and outside the movie- they are distinct. I don't see that in Clooney, so I think he is pretty limited in his acting skills.

vCash
    I was under the impression that The Artist was the frontrunner for Best Picture. It's cleaned up with other awards. I haven't seen it yet, so I have no idea whether it deserves to win or is getting a lot of praise because it's a silent movie. Of the movies I have seen, The Descendants probably was my favorite, though I did really like The Help.

Of the actors I have seen, I thought that George Clooney was really good, but that Demian Bashir was just as good in a Better Life. The frontrunner seems to be the guy from The Artist, but Clooney hasn't won a lead actor Oscar and he is very popular, so he might end up with it.

For Best Actress, I think Viola Davis will win. She was very good. I have no idea if Meryl was better because I haven't seen her movie, but I think Meryl will lose. It's not just a lot of the public, but also the voters, who want to share the Oscar wealth. I'm probably in the minority, but I didn't think that Rooney Mara was brilliant in her movie. I think the nomination was more for her bravery in taking on the role and doing some of those scenes (as well as her physical transformation).

I think Octavia Spencer will win for best supporting actress. I'm guessing Christopher Plummer will win in what is probably the least interesting of the acting categories.

vCash
    I still think Shilanne Woodley should have gotten a supporting actress nod for the Descendents. She stood out to me more than Clooney did.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KikiSashaFan View Post
    I still think Shilanne Woodley should have gotten a supporting actress nod for the Descendents. She stood out to me more than Clooney did.
    I thought she was great and would have nominated her over Jessica Chastain.

vCash
    I thought Viola Davis was brilliant, not just in the delivery of her lines, but in what she conveyed in her expressions & body language. And even though I think Meryl Streep is one of the greatest, if not the greatest, actresses I've ever seen, I think Viola was as great in this movie as Meryl has been in many movies.

I haven't seen My Week With Marilyn but I have seen many trailers for it & I thought Michelle Williams was dreadful. The two actresses in the TV show Smash convey more of a MM vibe than Michelle Williams does. I hope either Meryl or Viola wins.

vCash
    ^this^

vCash
    I think Woodley should have been nominated for the supporting role. In the leading men category this was a relatively weak year. Not that those nominated did not deserve the nomination, but beyond those 5, there are not many great performances this year. OTOH on the womens side there are so many great performances that some deserving ones did not get nominated. I have not seen Tilda Swinton's movie and I am wondering if she just missed the cut?

I also felt that if foreign movies can be nominated in both Best Picture and Best foreign language film, 'A separation' should have been nominated for BP also. Although I liked '.....incredibly close', and questioning its BP nomination over the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and possibly a few others.

vCash
    Will win: The Artist
    Should win: The Descendants
    Want to win: Hugo

I thought The Artist was the most overrated movie of the year. Maybe the most overrated movie of the last five years. It was nothing more than a gimmick. The characterization was dreadful--I don't see how anyone could have rooted for the Artist to succeed--he was vain, proud, self-indulgent and weak. The girl lead was not much better. I mean, did anyone actually learn or grow at all in that movie? Don't want to speak; I know, we'll TAP DANCE!

I had high hopes at the beginning--the first time we hear sound in the Artist's nightmare was really effective in the juxtaposition between the genteel world of silent films and the onslaught bravura of talkies. I had some hopes for it, only to be completely dashed by the characters. It felt like it was three hours long, and the ending was unbelievably contrived.

I'm all for The Descendants winning of the two. Oscar bait it is, but it's well-done, well executed Oscar bait, and the little details of that movie continued to surface for me days after watching it. I think it will endure longer than The Artist. Agree that Shilanne Woodley was completely robbed of a supporting acrtress nod--what an incredible talent.

I sort of hate myself for saying this because it's Woody Allen, but some friends and I watched Midnight in Paris On Demand last night, and what an amazingly charming movie. That was a movie that had it all--characterization, plot, cinematography, sense of place, just Paris (the city) almost deserved a supporting actress nom from that movie. The whole movie just shone. If it twas moi deciding Oscars, this would be runner-up to...

Hugo. This was the movie The Artist was trying to be. Charming, simple, well-done. I like movies that make you root for the characters--all the characters--to succeed. What a wonderful homage to the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Loved The Help, but don't think it's Oscar caliber. I think Meryl Streep gave an Oscar-winning performance in a mediocre movie.

I'm perplexed by Moneyball's nomination. I thought it was a well-executed movie, but not much else. To me, Moneyball is the bare minimum standard to which movies should be made.

I haven't seen Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, War Horse or Tree of Life.

I will say this for this year's crop of movies--it's A LOT better than last year's.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I really liked her too. I hope she develops into something great.

Aren't the Oscars going to be on mainstream TV this year? I do have cable, so it's not a problem for me, but i am so used to seeing them on the regular networks.
    The Oscars are always on ABC but I think the pre-show stuff is on E.
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    So I rented Warrior last night and I enjoyed it. Nick Nolte was very good deserved his nomination.

vCash

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    Will win: The Artist
    Should win: The Descendants
    Want to win: Hugo

I thought The Artist was the most overrated movie of the year. Maybe the most overrated movie of the last five years. It was nothing more than a gimmick. The characterization was dreadful--I don't see how anyone could have rooted for the Artist to succeed--he was vain, proud, self-indulgent and weak. The girl lead was not much better. I mean, did anyone actually learn or grow at all in that movie? Don't want to speak; I know, we'll TAP DANCE!

I had high hopes at the beginning--the first time we hear sound in the Artist's nightmare was really effective in the juxtaposition between the genteel world of silent films and the onslaught bravura of talkies. I had some hopes for it, only to be completely dashed by the characters. It felt like it was three hours long, and the ending was unbelievably contrived.

I'm all for The Descendants winning of the two. Oscar bait it is, but it's well-done, well executed Oscar bait, and the little details of that movie continued to surface for me days after watching it. I think it will endure longer than The Artist. Agree that Shilanne Woodley was completely robbed of a supporting acrtress nod--what an incredible talent.

I sort of hate myself for saying this because it's Woody Allen, but some friends and I watched Midnight in Paris On Demand last night, and what an amazingly charming movie. That was a movie that had it all--characterization, plot, cinematography, sense of place, just Paris (the city) almost deserved a supporting actress nom from that movie. The whole movie just shone. If it twas moi deciding Oscars, this would be runner-up to...

Hugo. This was the movie The Artist was trying to be. Charming, simple, well-done. I like movies that make you root for the characters--all the characters--to succeed. What a wonderful homage to the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Loved The Help, but don't think it's Oscar caliber. I think Meryl Streep gave an Oscar-winning performance in a mediocre movie.

I'm perplexed by Moneyball's nomination. I thought it was a well-executed movie, but not much else. To me, Moneyball is the bare minimum standard to which movies should be made.

I haven't seen Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, War Horse or Tree of Life.

I will say this for this year's crop of movies--it's A LOT better than last year's.
    I too found Artist rather gimmicky, for B&W and silent, but most others found it extraordinary for the very same reason. I have to disagree with you that it was nothing more. The cinematography was brilliant, the acting was excellent, and it had a very nice mix of comedy and tragedy. I feel it's overrated/overhyped, that's all.

I loved your comment - Hugo was the movie the Artist was trying to become. That was brilliant. They were both about the bygone days of movies, but one movie chose to go back to that era (B&W, silent) and the other was totally new age (3D, lavish color). I enjoyed Hugo more than the Artist.

About Midnight in Paris- you had another great line about the city (Paris) should win the supporting actress nom. The visuals, the music really brought Paris in the best light in the movie. It made me want to go back there for a visit. The story was clever, and I even liked Owen Wilson in that movie- that's a great director!

I liked the Descendants as a movie; I just did not feel that Clooney's acting was better than the other nominated actors (I have not seen A better life, so I can't include that).

I have seen all 9 nominated movies. I felt that Tree of life and Extremely loud were overrated, and should not have been on the BP list.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    One thing that makes me happy is that I truly truly get the feeling that Meryl doesn't care if she ever wins another Oscar. Maybe one day a role will come along that is especially important to her and she will hope to win for it but I think most of the time she just enjoys getting recognized/nominated but she really enjoys seeing others get to experience what she has already experienced twice. I remember her reaction when Cher won, she literally jumped out of her seat in excitement and began clapping as hard as she could and she was nominated! Then we hear her comments about hoping Viola wins this year. I have heard she does very little campaigning as well. It helps lessen the blow when she doesn't win.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    The story was clever, and I even liked Owen Wilson in that movie- that's a great director!
    I ordinarily don't like Own Wilson or Woody Allen. And I still liked Midnight in Paris. The only thing I didn't like was the Rachel McAdams character. But, overall, I was surprised by how much I liked the film.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    You were not supposed to like Rachel McAdams' character.

I loved that movie--it was like seeing old friends, recognizing all the luminaries of different times.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    You were not supposed to like Rachel McAdams' character.
    The problem was not that the character was a jerk. There are roles in movies where the person being portrayed is a horrible person, but the character makes the movie a good movie. I thought her character was so ridiculously (and one-dimensionally) obnoxious that it was almost a caricature and made it impossible to understand how the Own Wilson character ever decided to get engaged to her. There really didn't seem to be much humor or anything interesting involved with her character, either, unlike some of the other characters in the movie who weren't nice people. In other words, it was a poor character, not just a someone who we weren't supposed to find likeable.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Fair enough.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Anyone know which documentary is considered the front-runner? I've only seen To Hell and Back Again (aka Restrepo 2.0), which I didn't really like.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Anyone know which documentary is considered the front-runner? I've only seen To Hell and Back Again (aka Restrepo 2.0), which I didn't really like.
    I haven't see To Hell and Back Again, but I was thinking Pina was a front-runner since it's gotten really good reviews. I haven't seen Pina, but I saw another nominated documentary, Undefeated, recently which is about an inner-city Memphis high school football team. I thought it was very engaging. I was worried before I saw it that it'd be another saintly white coach saves inner-city youths, but it was a lot more than that. It was not as good as Hoop Dreams (from way back in 1992) which is on similar themes, but overall it was a powerful documentary.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast