Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Well we know Meryl will eventually get a Lifetime Achievement but will people count that as a 3rd Oscar if she never wins again or do people see it as winning 2 and having one handed to you?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Well we know Meryl will eventually get a Lifetime Achievement but will people count that as a 3rd Oscar if she never wins again or do people see it as winning 2 and having one handed to you?
    The latter, IMO.

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    According to this story, Streep wants her pal Davis to win.

When asked if she would prefer Davis to win, Streep told The Sun: "Yes, oh yes. I love her and think she's amazing.

"She deserves [it] and should be at the forefront of our business. She's a friend and we've worked together and I'm really fond of her. So we want the best for our friends. Honestly."
    http://www.rte.ie/ten/2012/0225/streepm.html

Streep starts filming the Tony award winning 'August: Osage County' this fall, playing the pill-popping mother of Julia Roberts, so I have a feeling she'll be nominated again, soon.

http://collider.com/meryl-streep-jul...county/146006/

http://www.simplystreep.com/weinstei...-osage-county/
    Last edited by soxxy; 02-25-2012 at 08:29 PM.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Vash Streep did not give the best performance of the year she was just mimicking tatcher did not get under the skin of her like Michelle Williams that was an embodiment and Streep will not win Davis has the oscar in the bag.

vCash
    I have had a feeling since hearing about August: Osage County that Meryl will FINALLY win another Oscar for that role. Wouldn't it be something if she wins 2 in a row after all these years of missing out? lol
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I say The Artist deserves to win Best Picture. It's a beautiful film between plot, characterization, soundtrack, and cinematography. Meryl Streep is a great actress. I'm just going to leave it at that.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Well I, for one, throught Rooney Mara was brilliant in TGWTDT. She fully deserved her nomination and I wouldn't mind if she took home the statue tomorrow night. My second choice would be Viola Davis, followed by Streep, then Glenn, and then Michelle.
    I have a feeling Mara "hasn't paid her dues" yet and so will just have the nomination.

However, that and Midnight in Paris are the only nominated films I've seen, so what do I know...
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    I thought she was FANTASTIC in Albert Nobbs and I'd love to see her win.
    i didnt love the film but i loved glenn in it. there was nothing gimmicky or showy about her performance at all. she would get my vote if i had one.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Overall, I don't think this year was as strong a year as last year for films, and for the acting categories I don't care one way or the other, but for Best Picture:

My favorite film this year was Melancholia which wasn't nominated, so I'd go with:
    Should: Hugo
    Will: The Artist

I felt like Hugo and The Artist were similar in their nostalgic look at cinema, but I thought Hugo was more moving and creative. The Artist, IMO, was an entertaining film, but the story was pretty simple and offers just a patchwork representation of the silent film era.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    How can you make that statement if you have not even seen the movie?
    Because this kind of stuff comes around every time Streep is nominated, no matter what the role. "OMG, Meryl is nominated again, but she's sure to be robbed by another actress, whose performance cannot possibly hope to match that of the World's Greatest Actress!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    Because this kind of stuff comes around every time Streep is nominated, no matter what the role. "OMG, Meryl is nominated again, but she's sure to be robbed by another actress, whose performance cannot possibly hope to match that of the World's Greatest Actress!"
    I think you are overreacting. Streep does not deserve to win everytime she is nominated, but she does not get nominated for poor performances the way a few actors/actresses do. There have been several occasions when she did not win while an undeserving person won. I am not saying that her performance cannot be matched, but that there have been times when inferior performances by others have been rewarded. If you see The Iron lady with an open mind, and still don't like her performance, I am OK with that. It just irks me when someone criticizes anyone (not just Streep) without seeing the performance. I can even accept "I have heard that.........." but that's not how you came across in that post.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sliver98 View Post
    Vash Streep did not give the best performance of the year she was just mimicking tatcher did not get under the skin of her like Michelle Williams that was an embodiment and Streep will not win Davis has the oscar in the bag.
    I have to disagree here. Streep did go deep into Thatcher's mind. Otherwise how do you think she portrayed the aging politician with dementia? Nobody has seen Thatcher like that other than her close family. I was less impressed with Williams performance, which was very good, but if you take away the wig and the costumes, how much of Marilyn was there? From what I read, Marilyn Monroe was a very unhappy, very complex character. The movie gives an excuse that it was just one week in her life, so it's not the whole Marilyn. Don't get me wrong. I think MW is a very good actress. If she (or even Viola) wins, it's not a robbery, like some other years.
    Last edited by Vash01; 02-26-2012 at 03:34 AM.

having a nice day
    vCash
    i predict the artist sweeps in evyth xcept best sup actress

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by immoimeme View Post
    i predict the artist sweeps in evyth xcept best sup actress
    Actually I would love to see Bejo win the supporting actress Oscar. Nothing against Octavia, but Bejo just seemed so charming in that role.

To be honest, I did not understand the raves over Artist as a movie. I think the producers deserve a lot of credit for their courage in creating a B&W movie that is silent, at this time when almost everyone is using special effects, color, sound to the max. However, to me it seemed like the movie dragged in parts, and the story did not move until much later. The acting was great, and the B&W cinematography was fabulous, but I liked a few other movies better than this, when it comes to enjoying a movie and being absorbed in it. A lot of the hoopla over the Artist is due to its uniqueness- B&W silent movie, but it does not necessarily mean it's the best movie of the year. However, I won't complain if Artist wins best picture. It's not like Shakespeare in love winning over Saving private Ryan, or Crash winning over Brokeback mountain.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    However, I won't complain if Artist wins best picture. It's not like Shakespeare in love winning over Saving private Ryan, or Crash winning over Brokeback mountain.
    I thought Brokeback Mountain was a horrible movie. Horrible. The funny thing is that the one movie that year that I thought was worse was...Crash. I was really out of touch with the Academy that year.
    -Brian

vCash
    I enjoyed The Artist. I wasn't gaga over it, though I definitely appreciated it. Jean Dujardin was so perfect for the role and did such a great job not overdoing it with his expressions. I think he deserves the Oscar and can't wait to see what is sure to be his charming acceptance speech. Though I wouldn't hate it if Gary Oldman pulled the ultimate upset. And I'd rather Brad Pitt win than Clooney. Clooney is bugging me these past few months in his bid to win - seeming really phony with how he's been presenting himself.

My biggest 'wuzrobbed' this year is Kirsten Dunst for Melancholia. She did such an amazing job in that film. I have a feeling that if it weren't for Lars Von Trier she would have been nominated, but because of his controversy it ruined her chances. She has won multiple critics awards this year for her role. And Melancholia as a film, while not a movie to see for 'enjoyment' sake, was a brilliant piece work and should have received some recognition. I would have much rather had Kirsten nominated instead of Rooney. I didn't think she did that great of a job in Girl... especially seeing it compared to Noomi Rapace for the original (I know it's not really possible to compare the two, but still!) she was really lacking in comparison and I found her performance highly overrated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I thought Brokeback Mountain was a horrible movie. Horrible. The funny thing is that the one movie that year that I thought was worse was...Crash. I was really out of touch with the Academy that year.
    That is really funny.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I am out of touch with the Academy for life. I only watch for the fashions anyway.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I haven't seen The Descendants so I feel like I can't comment on which movie should win BP since that movie is supposed to be a big front-runner. I tried to watch as many movies as possible over the last week, but I've run out of time. But I saw The Artist (), Midnight in Paris (), , Warrior (), The Help () and Tree of Life ().

I can't get over the song category only having two nominees, though I imagine this has already been discussed elsewhere.

vCash
    I finally saw Hugo yesterday, and it was wonderful. I'd place it 4th on my list of favorite films of the year (behind TOL, Descendants, and Artist), but, like I said earlier, it's rare that I really think four films hit it out of the park in one year.

And that Chloe Moretz is a serious talent. Wow. I don't think she necessarily should have been nominated, but I see many nominations in her future.

I'm really curious to see who ends up winning tonight, except that I don't have cable I knew when I made that decision that this night would be the one where I regretted it. Oh well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast