Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

vCash
    Ack... I am so sorry I screwed up and posted wrong info.
    I went to BAFTA site- and while Martin Freeman was nominated, it was Andrew Scott as Moriarty who won. Freeman won last year, in 2011 ( also for Dr. Warson). Sorry!
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    No matter.
    All of them should receive the award, eventually!

vCash
    ITA! I went back and watched the very first episode last night. I did not forget Sherlock's brilliance but I did forget his ability to be charming when he chooses to be: In his own way he "woos" Watson into seeing the apartment on Baker Street. And I know I keep saying this but I love the London filmed for this series. Beautiful. I hope NBC gives it a look-see as they are preparing stories and fluff for the Summer Olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    ITA! I went back and watched the very first episode last night. I did not forget Sherlock's brilliance but I did forget his ability to be charming when he chooses to be: In his own way he "woos" Watson into seeing the apartment on Baker Street. And I know I keep saying this but I love the London filmed for this series. Beautiful. I hope NBC gives it a look-see as they are preparing stories and fluff for the Summer Olympics.
    Yes!
    The relationship of genius to the people who care about him is captured so perfectly.
    Of course, there is no ambiguity as to what Sherlock is, but there is a lot of ambiguity about how much he actually does feel ( we know he does, but how much of it is genuine and how much is calculated is unclear, and interesting, and somewhat painful that way).
    Agree about filming London, as well. Operator's work here is on par with writing and acting.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Yeah, London is definitely its own character on the show. I've always loved English period TV series and movies, but most of those take place in the countryside. This is the first TV show that I've seen that really highlights London of the modern day.

Pardon my ignorance, but before watching "Sherlock," I didn't really know any of the major landmarks/attractions in London other than Big Ben and Buckingham Palace. So when it came to planning my first trip to London last month, being a fan of the show ended up being pretty useful in picking out places that I wanted to go visit: Tower of London, National Portrait Gallery, London Eye, Tower Bridge, the different neighborhoods, etc. Of course, these are all places you could find listed in any tourist book, but they all had an additional "cool" factor for me since I had just seen them on TV, lol. (It should be noted though that my favorite places in London last month weren't actually on the show.) I even made a detour to 185 N. Gower Street, which is where they film 221B Baker Street, and I took a picture of the building!
    Last edited by cailuj365; 06-08-2012 at 12:13 AM. Reason: accidentally called it 220b baker street instead of 221b. :facepalm:

vCash
    I am green with envy! What a great idea cailuj.

vCash
    Although much of what passes for London on the show is actually Cardiff.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Alexandra View Post
    Although much of what passes for London on the show is actually Cardiff.
    Oh, really? Like what?

I was watching the season 1 finale again, and I noticed that the "Tower of London" is definitely not the real Tower of London. The Crown Jewels are not kept in a little safe room like that!

vCash
    I don't know exactly what, but I'm guessing it's many/most(?) of the regular streets and buildings and such that aren't iconically London. IIRC filming in Cardiff is a lot cheaper and less of a hassle than filming in London, so quite a lot of filming gets done there.

vCash
    Well now I'm going to have to add Cardiff to my bucket list. At least I've been to London but not to Cardiff.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    When I was in the UK about 5 years ago I included 2 days in Cardiff ... specifically because of its location for Doctor Who and Torchwood. It is a beautiful city to visit for other reasons too, but that was the main draw for me.

Didn't realize they were using it for Sherlock too!

vCash
    I'm so happy our cable company includes BBC America or I would have never met DW or TW. Artemis did you look for specific locations or was it more of just taking in the city for as long as you were there?

dinakt: That ambiguity you speak of will always keep me guessing even if the last episode was a hopeful sign of how much he actually feels.

I noticed CBS is really pushing "Elementary." I'll watch knowing that it simply will never be "Sherlock" but will try to appreciate the story without having to cringe too much.

vCash
    I'm so happy our cable company includes BBC America or I would have never met DW or TW. Artemis did you look for specific locations or was it more of just taking in the city for as long as you were there?
    The only specific locations I was hunting for were the Hub and the area around it -- pretty hard to miss, because of the Millennium Centre being right there. Also, the entrance to the Hub is down on the ferry jetty, and I was planning on taking the ferry back to my B&B anyway, so it worked out well.

There's also a newish (at the time) Doctor Who museum down in the same area. I went, paid my 7 quid, but it wasn't really all that special (except for seeing K-9 up close and personal, that was cool). Great gift shop though!

There are Doctor Who bus tours now that you can take, they go to a bunch of locations in and around Cardiff, but I don't think they had them when I was there.

vCash
    i am late to the party ( as per usual!!) i just watched series one and the pbs links for 2 are geoblocked here in canada- can anyone send me alink to watch them? i am really rubbish at finding tv shows online!!!- and i LOVE these!!!
    i agree that london is gto this show what NYC was to SATC
    love that no detail is unlooked - it reminds of foyles war (another gret solve crime bbc show) gosh you guys get all the great tv over there!! lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriajh View Post
    i am late to the party ( as per usual!!) i just watched series one and the pbs links for 2 are geoblocked here in canada- can anyone send me alink to watch them? i am really rubbish at finding tv shows online!!!
    I don't know of any legal links for watching online in Canada ...

But season 2 is out on DVD already -- you can try your library if you don't want to pay the $$. (All my local libraries have it.)

vCash
    Quick question about London (I am assuming London): What is that building that looks like a bullet shooting straight up? I'm sure it was there before but I keep seeing it in "Sherlock."

vicjh: LOVED "Foyle's War" as well and also love "Inspector Lewis" and like "Morse." I've never been to Oxford and watching Lewis and Morse makes me yearn for a trip. I don't know where Foyle was filmed but I'd love to go back in time to see the England of WWII.

vCash
    Quick question about London (I am assuming London): What is that building that looks like a bullet shooting straight up? I'm sure it was there before but I keep seeing it in "Sherlock."
    It's nicknamed "The Gherkin"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/30_St_Mary_Axe

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    I don't know of any legal links for watching online in Canada ...

But season 2 is out on DVD already -- you can try your library if you don't want to pay the $$. (All my local libraries have it.)
    will look there- I see that hte final episode on serier 2 is on telly today! i pvr'd but have been told to watch the others first (HOW will i wait???)

vicjh: LOVED "Foyle's War" as well and also love "Inspector Lewis" and like "Morse." I've never been to Oxford and watching Lewis and Morse makes me yearn for a trip. I don't know where Foyle was filmed but I'd love to go back in time to see the England of WWII.
    oooh i love those too! foyle's war was so clever at the plots- i usually figure them all out and that was on of the first shows that really made me think and :got ; me!
    i have been too oxofrd and it is lovley i was born in uk and family are all from england so the motherland and shows like this really keep me getting my uk "fix"
    i just cant beleive that i just found it now- they showed all 4 seriers 2 on pbs in may and i missed it!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    It's nicknamed "The Gherkin"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/30_St_Mary_Axe
    That's it. Thank you---wouldn't you know a Yank would see it as a bullet.

vCash
    The Gherkin - That's it. Thank you---wouldn't you know a Yank would see it as a bullet.
    Um, I've always thought of it as "the glass penis" ... does that say something about me or about Canadians?

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast