Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Peaches LaTour View Post
    We watch it and enjoy it even though, afterward, I feel like I've been hit by an F-5 category tornado because everything moves so fast.

Thank God for the captioning device on the t.v., or we couldn't watch it at all- being Americans we don't grasp English when it is spoken fast as lightning! As it is, our eyeballs are speed-reading while trying to take in the actual action as well. Sometimes they speak faster than Jimmy Cagney ever could.
    It's a "device" used to indicate just how "acute" Sherlock's mind is, even compared to Watson's.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Well, I couldn't wait til next week for the last installment, so I watched a downloaded copy of "Reichenbach Fall" last night. (Aside from not having to wait ... the download is actually better quality than PBS's screwed up aspect ration version). Wow! As excellent as the other 2 episodes in the seaon were, this one completely blew me away.

One thing struck me:

Spoiler

And what an impressive performance by Martin Freeman throughout this episode. He's always excellent, but in this one he surpassed himself. Of course it helped that he had some superb material to work with.

And I'm loving the ongoing joke with the deerstalker. And with everyone assuming they're a couple.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    And what an impressive performance by Martin Freeman throughout this episode. He's always excellent, but in this one he surpassed himself. Of course it helped that he had some superb material to work with..
    Yes, Freeman is absolutely amazing in that episode.

Spoiler

vCash
    Are there any differences between the US and UK episodes/DVD's?
    I want to know which version to order.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Are there any differences between the US and UK episodes/DVD's?
    I want to know which version to order.
    I just went through the same thing (thanks to a friend who passed on his region 2/PAL player to me -- thank you DK!), and as far as I can tell they're identical except for the packaging. Going by the description on the 2 Amazons (.com and .co.uk) both have 2 discs, commentary for 2 episodes, and 1 behind-the-scenes extra. Weirdly, though, the US version is listed as 461 minutes and the UK version as 266 minutes -- but I think the US version is factoring the 2 commentary episodes separately into the equation. The math works out that way -- 88 minutes x3 vs. x5, plus one 19-minute extra.

vCash
    Thanks!
    Good, I thought that the US version might be "edited".

vCash
    Thanks!
    Good, I thought that the US version might be "edited".
    There was concern regarding this, in light of the fact that the PBS versions are edited (for time - not content). In Belgravia for example, one of the scenes cut is John's gf breaking up with him.

However, assurances were made that the DVD version was UK length.

I ordered the Region 2's because I couldn't wait (although I did watch it...somehow )

Mostly bummed because there isn't any commentary for R. Falls.

As for R. Falls - WOW!! So, so good, and Freeman is amazing.

vCash
    So, here's the first footage for "Elementary".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrDVS...layer_embedded

Not sure what I think about it. I'm sure I'll watch the first couple of episodes. You really can't tell everything from the "pilot" episode.

vCash
    I had already decided I would only watch if Jonny Lee Miller was allowed to have a British accent, so I guess I'm in

vCash
    Why does it have to be Holmes and Watson? I think the series could have merit but just call them something else and say the main character has a Sherlock sensibility.

vCash
    I watched all of season 1 on Netflix and then downloaded all of season 2 and I loved it! I was surprised because I'm not usually into mystery stories. I never watch Masterpiece Mystery. I've always shied away from Sherlock Holmes movies and shows because I always thought the stories would turn me off. However, this version is wonderful.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    The person I keep thinking about is Molly Hooper. What was that exchange all about with Sherlock in the lab? And Molly once thought Moriarty was her boyfriend. Of course he was posing as a coworker with an alias last season before Sherlock knew who Moriarty was (or at least what he looked like.) How has Molly survived Moriarty's evil? Was she just some insignifigant rube to Moriarity? Actually Sherlock treats her the same way. Just some thoughts...

vCash
    Last night's episode was mind-blowing.
    So much to think about: Mycroft's actions, the nature of friendship/trust, the lengths we will go to protect those we love.
    I can't find the words to describe how heartrendingly great Martin Freeman was.

The wait for the next series will be excruciatingly long.

vCash
    Last night's episode was mind-blowing.
    So much to think about: Mycroft's actions, the nature of friendship/trust, the lengths we will go to protect those we love.
    I can't find the words to describe how heartrendingly great Martin Freeman was.
    Which is the answer to Cachoo's original question, in my opinion, at least.

What makes Sherlock so good is that it wholeheartedly explores the nature of an emotional friendship between two men. We see lots of buddy stories and even some gay romance, but very little of this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    What makes Sherlock so good is that it wholeheartedly explores the nature of an emotional friendship between two men. We see lots of buddy stories and even some gay romance, but very little of this.
    Yes! Coincidentally, in the retrospective of House last night before the series finale, they drew parallels between Holmes-Watson and House-Wilson, and it's a connection I've commented on before. The House-Wilson relationship is pretty much the only reason I kept watching House, and the Holmes-Watson relationship is one of the best things about Sherlock.

(Also coincidentally,

Spoiler

...)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    (Also coincidentally,

Spoiler

...)
    I doubt it's pure coincidence if the original Holmes stories continue to serve as a source of inspiration.

vCash
    I thoroughly enjoyed Sherlock. Loved the season finale. I'm going to order season 1 from amazon. Thanks for the info on the UK vs US versions of the DVD.

Does anyone know the name of the actor who introduced the show? He looks so familiar but I just can't put a name on him. He has short dark hair an talked about the episode before they got to the thank you for contributing to PBS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maureenfarone View Post
    Does anyone know the name of the actor who introduced the show? He looks so familiar but I just can't put a name on him. He has short dark hair an talked about the episode before they got to the thank you for contributing to PBS.
    Was it Alan Cumming, AKA Eli Gold from The Good Wife? We love him!
    Creating drama!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Somethings wrong with my PVR (grrr), but the actor who introduced the first two is Alan Cumming, and he now plays Eli Gold on "The Good Wife."
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    I <3 Alan Cumming big-time. And PBS's decision to have him host/introduce Mystery almost makes up for them screwing up their aspect ratio.

Though it's very hard for me to decide between his Eli Gold persona ... and any situation where he speaks to me (yes, just me!) in his natural Perthshire brogue.

I guess it would have been just wrong from Eli to be Scottish ...

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast