Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    vicjh: LOVED "Foyle's War" as well and also love "Inspector Lewis" and like "Morse." I've never been to Oxford and watching Lewis and Morse makes me yearn for a trip. I don't know where Foyle was filmed but I'd love to go back in time to see the England of WWII.
    Foyle's War is set in Hastings, and a lot of it was filmed there too (though of course they had to supplement with other locations for the period feel). We have friends who live just outside Hastings and they were able to take us on a tour of some of the locations.

There's no shortage of locations in and around Oxford for Morse/Lewis. And as an added bonus, the dining hall at Christ Church college was also used as the dining hall for Hogwarts.

BTW, did you see that there's a Morse "prequel" coming up on PBS Mystery in July? It's called Endeavour (which, as Morse fans know, was his first name), and focusses on his early days in the force as a young constable.

vCash

Question

Quick question about London (I am assuming London): What is that building that looks like a bullet shooting straight up? I'm sure it was there before but I keep seeing it in "Sherlock."

vicjh: LOVED "Foyle's War" as well and also love "Inspector Lewis" and like "Morse." I've never been to Oxford and watching Lewis and Morse makes me yearn for a trip. I don't know where Foyle was filmed but I'd love to go back in time to see the England of WWII.

Ah, I've often wondered what that nasty looking building was.....

By the way, are they going to make any more Inspector Lewis/Hathaway episodes?? Love them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Peaches LaTour View Post
    By the way, are they going to make any more Inspector Lewis/Hathaway episodes?? Love them.
    Made, just aired in the UK, and due on this side of the pond in July. Specifically, 4 new episodes starting on Masterpiece on July 8 (after the 1-off "Endeavour" Morse prequel I mentioned earlier).

I love, love, love Lewis. As much as I enjoyed Morse, their partnership took a loooong time to develop, and I could never really like Morse. The Lewis-Hathaway partnership is just about perfect IMO.

vCash
    I did not know about the Morse prequel; thanks for the info. And I like Lewis better too. It is a little disconcerting when you see Lewis with Morse before his wife died and then see today's Lewis as he seems like two different people. I like that there is always a bit of mystery when it comes to Hathaway.

Thanks for the info on Hastings and Foyle. How cool would it be to live in Hastings and be cast as an extra? I'd love it.

vCash
    This was on my local PBS station's Facebook page:

PBS (Masterpiece Theatre)'s Sherlock wins 2 Critics Choice Awards last night: Best Movie/Miniseries & Best Actor in a Movie/Miniseries - Benedict Cumberbatch.
    The Critics’ Choice Television Awards are bestowed annually by the Broadcast Television Journalists Association (BTJA) to honor the finest achievements on networks and channels big and small.
    Delighted to see that "Sherlock" and Cumberbatch are being recognized by US critics!

vCash
    I watched the Brit List tonight and Sherlock Holmes was listed as "cool." The "Sherlocks" that received all the recognition were Rathbone and Cumberbatch. Especially Cumberbatch: I would love to see them snag Emmy awards. You cannot convince me there is a better show airing this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    It's nicknamed "The Gherkin"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/30_St_Mary_Axe
    The UK division of my former employer had an office in Tower 42. We could look down on that ridiculous football from the conference room windows. Interestingly enough, our biggest competitor was in the Gherkin. I think it somehow made us feel better about our company, lol.

I just finished watching both seasons of Sherlock and I LOVED it! It's the best thing I've watched on tv since Lost! I can't believe we have to wait so long for more episodes.

vCash
    Just to bump up the
    "Sherlock" thread, here is Moffat article I like:
    http://thinkprogress.org/alyssa/2012...t-supervillain
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    I like the interview particularly when he mentioned that great love stories don't necessarily involve sex. His take on Irene Adler is interesting too.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I did not know about the Morse prequel; thanks for the info. And I like Lewis better too. It is a little disconcerting when you see Lewis with Morse before his wife died and then see today's Lewis as he seems like two different people. I like that there is always a bit of mystery when it comes to Hathaway.
    I love both Lewis AND Morse. I especially like how Lewis is essentially becoming his old boss, while there's still a different chemistry between him and his sergeant.

I don't know how I'll feel about a prequel, though...Morse is pretty much John Thaw in my mind. Oh, well, we'll see.

Of course the one problem with Morse and Lewis both is they make Oxford look like the #2 Murder Capital of Europe and possibly the world. #1? Midsommer, of course. They have a per capita murder rate that makes Detroit on a bad day look like Happy Valley....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I love both Lewis AND Morse. I especially like how Lewis is essentially becoming his old boss, while there's still a different chemistry between him and his sergeant.

I don't know how I'll feel about a prequel, though...Morse is pretty much John Thaw in my mind. Oh, well, we'll see.

Of course the one problem with Morse and Lewis both is they make Oxford look like the #2 Murder Capital of Europe and possibly the world. #1? Midsommer, of course. They have a per capita murder rate that makes Detroit on a bad day look like Happy Valley....
    So true. At least Miss Marple traveled to the murder sites but it was still hard to imagine so much mayhem in these beautiful villages. I do need to watch more Midsommer as I've only seen a few so far.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    So true! I remember reading years ago, when Colin Dexter was still alive, the then-mayor of Oxford criticizing Dexter for making their city sound unsafe. What a tool -- he should have known that that kind of publicity only helps a city's tourism.

At least Midsomer is a fictional county ...

vCash
    "Sherlock", Cumberbatch and Freeman all nominated for Emmy Awards!!!

vCash
    Hooray!

vCash
    Well-deserved!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    So true! I remember reading years ago, when Colin Dexter was still alive, the then-mayor of Oxford criticizing Dexter for making their city sound unsafe. What a tool -- he should have known that that kind of publicity only helps a city's tourism.

At least Midsomer is a fictional county ...
    Colin Dexter is still alive according to most reports.

bird is the word
    vCash
    Hubbie and I just discovered the first season on Netflix and we LOVE it. Wish the other seasons were up.
    "Life is just one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead." - Homer Simpson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    Colin Dexter is still alive according to most reports.
    Yes, of course ... it was John Thaw who died, not Dexter ... I had the two linked in my mind. Thanks for pointing that out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by grimey View Post
    Hubbie and I just discovered the first season on Netflix and we LOVE it. Wish the other seasons were up.
    There's only one other season. It is available on DVD though, you might want to check your local library.

Netflix Canada is soooo slllloooooooooow to get current offerings.

vCash
    "Sherlock" just got nominated for LOTS of Emmys, including Lead Actor in Miniseries ( Cumberbatch), Supporting Actor ( Freeman), Best Miniseries, Directing, Writing, Cinematography. Yay "Sherlock".
    http://www.emmys.com/shows/sherlock-...ia-masterpiece
    improving my ballad- like lines

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast