Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    REHAB??? Joan Watson (sober companion)? Conan Doyle must be turning in his grave. Why do we (Americans) always do this? Why not stick with the original? I know there are times Americanizing something works but so much of the time it stinks. I say this as a fan of Laurie King's take on Sherlock in books. But when it comes to tv we I imagine we could do a thread on series we have copied unsuccessfully. Betcha this one will be the latest example.
    I won't be watching.

vCash
    In addition to what everyone else has said, I like how they balance the modern setting with the original stories. They aren't just showing the original stories, just set a century later, which is good, because many wouldn't make sense now. For example, people rarely call each other by their last names any more, and pocket watches are replaced with smart phones. Coincidentally, there is again a war in Afghanistan. But it's not so loosely based making it easy to tell that the plots were derived from the original stories.

Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    So, have you heard the latest on the CBS series Elementary? They've done a gender switch on Watson, and cast Lucy Lui in the part. And that's not the bad part.

Read it and weep...

http://www.deadline.com/2012/02/lucy...ot-elementary/
    This is going to be beyond awful.

If the characters were nameless, I would have said this was inspired by the X-Files (another show that this won't be nearly as good as) before I thought of Sherlock.

vCash
    I don't care what CBS does with its othis de series, as long as this development doesn't push the BBC to dumb down the new series of Sherlock or rush it or make it more PC or modify it in any way. Apparently Sherlock has been sold to 180 territories worldwide. In the big picture, increasing the US audience by a couple of million should not be a defining target.

vCash
    Well, at least Jonny Lee Miller is pretty. . .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Well, at least Jonny Lee Miller is pretty. . .

There is that...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    PBS will be running it as part of the Masterpiece Mystery series May 6th-20th.
    Thanks! May 6th sounds so far away!

Hard to imagine the second season can be better than the first, which was simply brilliant.

Now I am totally excited and can't wait.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedwitch View Post
    In addition to what everyone else has said, I like how they balance the modern setting with the original stories.
    Yes, very well done

Quote Originally Posted by wickedwitch View Post
    Coincidentally, there is again a war in Afghanistan.
    They say some things never change...

I love it when Sherlock glance at someone and all his observations just popped up all over the place in white text
    And when he looked at Adler it's all just

Spoiler

vCash
    Another great thing about Sherlock is Andrew Scott as Moriarty. He is so terrifying in his calm and twisted manner. One can understand why Sherlock is terrified by him. "The Final Problem" was so unnerving right from the beginning, because you cannot imagine what Moriarty could do just because he's bored. He is one of the greatest villains I've seen on screen.

Edited to remove a spoiler. Sorry! How can you wait though? The DVD is available.
    Last edited by Asli; 02-29-2012 at 11:43 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    Another great thing about Sherlock is Andrew Scott as Moriarty. He is so terrifying in his calm and twisted manner. One can understand why Sherlock is terrified by him.

Spoiler

was so unnerving right from the beginning, because you cannot imagine what Moriarty could do just because he's bored. He is one of the greatest villains I've seen on screen.

It must be difficult to

Spoiler

Asli - spoilers!!! This hasn't been seen in the US - or Canada (I think.)

vCash
    Oh, excited to see this thread. I love Sherlock. What makes it for me is the acting and the chemistry between the leads. Freeman in particular is amazing. I love the characterization of Watson as quietly confident and competent. You can tell that he is amazed by Sherlock's intellect but he has enough self-confidence to not be threatened by it at all. The writing is top-notch, great modernization and tons of smart tricks like the text messages appearing on the screen instead of having to show the cell phone.

Spoiler

vCash

vCash
    OMG that is hilarious. In my wildest dreams I would not put these two together.

vCash
    Okay, that's priceless.

I'm allowed to laugh, right?

ETA: Plus I'm a dolt and read "Others who look like Benedict Cumberbatch" so the otters were extra surprising!

vCash
    That is hi-larious I think I like the surprised one the best.

btw - in other "Elementary" news, Aidan Quinn has been cast as Captain Gregson of the NYPD, who worked with Holmes in the UK. Gregosn was actually the name of one of the Scotland Yard Inspectors in the Canon, so that's a nice tip of the hat.
    http://www.deadline.com/2012/03/aida...-in-1600-penn/

vCash

I Could Have Posted This in the "Hobbit" Thread....

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    OMG, that's priceless!

Fave bit (other than the photos, obviously): "Quite clearly then, the philosophical question has been finally put to bed: this is in fact why the internet was first created. It is indeed almost as important now as life itself, and so deliberations into its reasoning play an integral role in society today. Now, we know. This is it. This is why."

vCash
    T minus 10, 9, 8, 7................Finally on Masterpiece/Mystery on Sunday.......

vCash
    How I'm looking forward to it.
    A (slightly belated) birthday present!

SHERLOCKED
    vCash
    PBS is live-streaming a Q & A with Benedict Cumberbatch, Steven Moffat, Sue Vertue and Rebecca Eaton right now on their facebook page. live stream available worldwide

They say it will be available to watch again later.
    Last edited by sk8sue; 05-03-2012 at 01:33 AM.

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    A reminder for US/Canadian fans. Sherlock ll begins tonight on Masterpiece Mystery.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast