Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

What Makes "Sherlock" So Good?

I am a big fan of the PBS/Mystery series "Sherlock." I love the relationship between this particular Sherlock and this particular Watson. I also love the use of the glockenspiel (sp?)--if it is a glockenspiel in the soundtrack for the series. PBS released this scene for the upcoming season: May cannot come soon enough (at least in the US.)

http://video.pbs.org/video/2188153420

vCash
    I really enjoy the new Sherlock as well. Benedict Cumberbatch makes a very cool and stylish Sherlock, and I agree that he and Watson have an interesting dynamic.

vCash
    Everything

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I think it's that it's one of the few "modernizing" things where they really seem to not only respect the source material but have managed to come up with a scenario that keeps the characters from the original as more or less themselves, but still functional in the modern setting. Rather than just "we moved this to modern day so we could get the actors more plausibly naked more often."

vCash
    Oh man, I just watched both series of Sherlock last month, and it quickly became one of my favorite shows. Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are both brilliant as Sherlock and Watson. I find all the modern updates on the material to be really clever and believable as well. I also really like the music!

If you thought season 1 was good, season 2 is even better in my opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    ...Rather than just "we moved this to modern day so we could get the actors more plausibly naked more often."
    Unfortunately, I think this is exactly what could happen with CBS's new "Elementary," a remake of BBC's "Sherlock" that will take place in modern day New York City. CBS just ordered the pilot, and Jonny Lee Miller has been cast as Sherlock. I'm not sure if Sherlock will be British or American, but this whole thing seems a bit superfluous.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I love it. The score reminds me so much of Dexter's score and it is fitting for this dark kind of show.

I heard the US is coming up with a version of a modern Sherlock as well.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cailuj365 View Post
    Oh man, I just watched both series of Sherlock last month, and it quickly became one of my favorite shows. Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are both brilliant as Sherlock and Watson. I find all the modern updates on the material to be really clever and believable as well. I also really like the music!

If you thought season 1 was good, season 2 is even better in my opinion!

Unfortunately, I think this is exactly what could happen with CBS's new "Elementary," a remake of BBC's "Sherlock" that will take place in modern day New York City. CBS just ordered the pilot, and Jonny Lee Miller has been cast as Sherlock. I'm not sure if Sherlock will be British or American, but this whole thing seems a bit superfluous.
    Superfluous indeed. I cannot imagine the copy matching the original.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    I'm not sure if Sherlock will be British or American, but this whole thing seems a bit superfluous.
    It is extremely unlikely that they'll be able replicate the amazing chemistry of Holmes and Watson (ick, the shipping on the internet is mountainous), and they certainly won't have the 90 minute episode, movie quality scripting and editing.

I guess the reason must be that they are going to take a snapshot of the characters and use them in an hour long procedural series- like House-"Detective".

I can see why The Office was remade with an american storyline, because the cultural differences make it hard(for some) to catch the humour. But both Sherlock and Misfits are too perfect to be immitated well. It's like remaking Casablanca.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    I love this version so much. I've already seen the second series even though I'm in the US. I bought the region 2 DVD's becasue I knew I'd want them and just couldn't wait. I think it's better than the first series.

I think that the biggest reason is that Moffatt and Gattis understand and respect the source material, but at the same time, are not slaves to it. They loved the Rathbone/Bruce movies for the action aspects, and aren't afraid to embrace that as well.

They stripped out a lot of what has weighed many of the adaptations down. People forget that Holmes and Watson weren't all that old when they started, so they cast younger than you generally see.

They updated wisely. They put a lot of thought into the modern equivalent of Victorian/Edwardian era technology and society. Agony Columns=Reality TV!

They treat Watson with the respect he deserves. Martin Freeman's Watson, is IMO, the best Watson ever. Watson was not a bumbling fool as he is often portrayed. He was a doctor, and a soldier. Anyone would look less smart next to Holmes, but he wasn't stupid.

On the technical side, I think the BBC's decision to go with 3-90's was smart. The quality of the production is so high. The only bad thing is that there aren't more!

I'm also interested to see what the CBS "Elementary" series will be like. The producers initally approached Virtue/Moffatt/Gattiss, and asked them to license Sherlock to them, but were turned down. So, they decided to go ahead with their own version. They are going to have to go very carefully, because if they don't, there could be some legal entanglements, I would think.

vCash
    I think Sherlock is brilliant! We couldn't wait for season 2 (in the US) so we found it online on various tv websites. Season 2 is even better than season 1. I don't think I've ever seen a tv show that is so brilliantly photographed, edited and acted.

vCash
    znachki,

Entire post:

I've not seen Season 2 yet; and can hardly wait!
    I don't know if I will watch "Elementary" yet.
    Any similar show would suffer in comparison.

Edited to add:

If Benedict Cumberbatch, were a less gifted actor, the update would not work at all.
    He does a wonderful job of bringing Sherlock to newly vivid life within the context of our growing knowledge and understanding of "Super Genius"/Asperger's Syndrome, etc.; and the challenges caused/imposed by that on himself - and others.

That is what makes this "Sherlock" important, and compelling.
    Last edited by skatesindreams; 02-25-2012 at 10:49 PM. Reason: to add comment

vCash
    For those interested in his work beyond Sherlock, Benedict will be playing

Spoiler

And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    For those interested in his work beyond Sherlock, Benedict will be playing

Spoiler

And of course, Freeman will be Bilbo in the new Hobbit movie (Cumberbatch will be the voice of Smaug).
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    I'll await all of the above, with pleasure!

vCash
    I've also seen S2 because I couldn't wait for it to come out on PBS and I used one of the UK ip address programs. I think one of the reasons why I love the series is there's hardly any irrelevant detail in any episode. It's been a while since I found a series where I felt I have to actively pay attention to everything that takes place.

Also agree with everyone who mentioned casting Martin Freeman as Watson was a brilliant move. He manages to come across with the right mixture of awe for Sherlock's genius and frustration when he refuses to explain things.

Am definitely re-watching once it shows up on PBS !

Re-registered User
    vCash
    We watched Season 1 & 2 in a 2 day marathon about a month ago. And then watched it all again right away. My daughter told me as I started to sit down to the first one, that I had to pay attention to the screen because I'd miss too much. At about 5 min in I put my laptop away.

She has become an obsessed Cumberbatch fan, and I have to say his performances in Hawking and Third Star are wonderful.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    And of course, Freeman will be Bilbo in the new Hobbit movie (Cumberbatch will be the voice of Smaug).
    As a huge LotR fan, I'm so excited about this, and yet, I'm also frustrated because this probably means a longer delay for series 3 of Sherlock.

I also agree that the fantastic editing of the show really sets it apart. It really makes it seem as if you're watching a movie rather than a regular point-and-shoot TV serial.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    cygnus introduced me to the series after GPF.

Two words: Martin Freeman
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    As a huge LotR fan, I'm so excited about this, and yet, I'm also frustrated because this probably means a longer delay for series 3 of Sherlock.
    I'm not sure that's the case. There was some concern about that for the second series as well, but I think that they've managed to shoot around each other. Despite "the coat" it was apparent that they filmed chunks of the second series in the summer. Which the commentaries confirm - May - August. The series was ready to go in like Sept/Oct, but the BBC held it until January.

Principal photography on the Hobbit is scheduled to end in June. There could be pickups and reshoots after that. I certainly wouldn't want to be Freeman if that's the case, flying back & forth. But, given that and the last shooting schedule, Jan 2013 seems doable.

Currently Moff & Co. are saying 2013, of course what that means....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Skatefan View Post
    I think Sherlock is brilliant! We couldn't wait for season 2 (in the US) so we found it online on various tv websites. Season 2 is even better than season 1. I don't think I've ever seen a tv show that is so brilliantly photographed, edited and acted.
    That was something else I noticed. I don't know if there is another series on tv that looks so beautiful. I don't know how they are doing it but even simple scenes of them driving/walking down the street are so crisp, clear and-dare I say- pretty to watch. Their London dazzles imho.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast